General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 171/126/120

Height: 5"4

I sent you a message, Helioptrope, but in case you're no longer on the boards - does anyone else here use Stickk.com?

I'm also looking for a referee! My username is m4mitchell there too. I think having a referee would add extra accountability.

Anyone interested?

ETA: In case you're not familiar with the site, Stick.com is a site where you commit to something, whether it be quitting smoking, losing weight, exercising 3x a week, or whatever you want. You log on each week and report your weight (or whether or not you had a cigarette, or went to the gym, or whatever).

You have the option to link your credit card with the site and place money on the outcome - so if you aren't successful, Stickk.com will charge your credit card by however much you agreed. You can choose to give the money to a friend, an enemy, a charity, or an anti-charity, which is charity to which you are morally opposed. Stickk.com claims that people who link their credit cards to anti-charities are the most successful.

If you have a referee, they can ask you for proof (in this case, probably a picture of your scale) to confirm that you did, in fact, lose weight or go to the gym or whatever.

I think it's a great idea, personally! I've linked my weight-loss goal commitment with an anti-charity (I chose a pro-life group), and I'm very very determined not to give them my money. You can also set your anti-charity as a pro-choice group, if those are your beliefs.

So.....is anyone else interested in using it and being each others referees?

Last edited by m4mitchell; 12-08-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Clarification!
m4mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 171/126/120

Height: 5"4

Default Stickk.com - betting on weight loss? anyone else a member?

Does anyone else here use Stickk.com? I'm looking for a referee, and would like to team up with someone and be their referee too!

In case you're not familiar with the site, Stick.com is a site where you commit to something, whether it be quitting smoking, losing weight, exercising 3x a week, or whatever you want. You log on each week and report your weight (or whether or not you had a cigarette, or went to the gym, or whatever).

You have the option to link your credit card with the site and place money on the outcome - so if you aren't successful, Stickk.com will charge your credit card by however much you agreed. You can choose to give the money to a friend, an enemy, a charity, or an anti-charity, which is charity to which you are morally opposed. Stickk.com claims that people who link their credit cards to anti-charities are the most successful.

If you have a referee, they can ask you for proof (in this case, probably a picture of your scale) to confirm that you did, in fact, lose weight or go to the gym or whatever.

I think it's a great idea, personally! I've linked my weight-loss goal commitment with an anti-charity (I chose a pro-life group), and I'm very very determined not to give them my money. You can also set your anti-charity as a pro-choice group, if those are your beliefs.

So.....is anyone else interested in using it and being each others referees? My username is m4mitchell there too.

(I just posted about this in an existing thread in the the Exercise forum, but I thought I'd also post something here, as this is much more about weight loss than exercise.)
m4mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 301/287/240

Height: 5'7"

Wow! what an interesting concept! I wonder what my anti-charity would be...
katrinakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #49  

Height: 5'8"

Hi Mairi,

I'm sorry, I only just got your message because it went in junk email! I am definitely still interested in finding a stickk referee, are you?

I was thinking of a few ways to prove that I'd been exercising, like using runkeeper where you can see the map, or taking a screenshot of my Nike training club app when I'd completed one of the workouts. Taking a pic of the scales is a great idea!

Do let me know if you're still interested, apologies for the delayed reply

Heliotrope
heliotrope55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I wanted to bump this back to the top because I just signed up to start using stickK in January. Is anyone else here using it now? I could use supporters on the site!
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote