General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #1  

Default How do I write a good cover letter?

I was asked to send a cover letter and resume and I've never actually had to write a cover letter before. Does anyone have any tips?

I looked around online, and so have an idea, but I'm applying for a job that I have the right skill set for, although it's been a long time since I used those skills. They're going to figure that out as soon as they see my resume.

Ugh, I hate looking for jobs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/182.5/130

I'm by no means an expert, but I did have to write one recently. The tips I would give you would be to remember a cover letter is where you 'sell yourself'. It should include the stuff your resume doesn't really show or tell. It's your chance to brag about your skills and show the reader why you are the best fit for them. It helps to know as much as you can about who you're applying with... and use terms and examples that would apply directly to your role with them.
Not much help I'm sure, but wanted to contribute what I could
130star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #3  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

I have a book called 101 Best Cover Letters. It says to use the PIE method.
P=Passion "Be sure when you write that what you write is said with a degree of passion, excitement, and emotion. Right or wrong, fair or unfair, a lifeless letter reflects a lifeless person."
I=Interest "Another equally important way to generate interest is to address the company's needs as you understand them and draw the connestion between those needs and your skills as means to meet them."
E-Excellence "In order for you to be considered a possible candidate, your commitment to excellence must show through in the cover letter. You must communicate the levels of integrity, confidence, competence, and trustworthiness that top employers seek."

I hope this helps. Cover Letters are so hard. If you are still having trouble I could scan and PDF some of the sample letters to you...
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #4  

Thanks guys! I wrote it last night and I really did "sell" myself in it. It's for a position at an equine veterinary hospital, and I didn't want to make myself sound like the Horse Whisperer, but I think it sounded pretty good.

Thanks so much!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #5  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

Good luck and let us know what happens!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote