General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #46  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Started the month off reading Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall and am now reading The Undomestic Goddess by Sophia Kinsella

SI was a very good read. Anyone ever read it? What about the other book... I've only read a few chapters thus far and it seems ok... a light read. But I am not far enough into it to make a decision yet.

Last edited by PearFreak; 02-14-2009 at 11:22 PM.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
I'm reading B*tch: In praise of difficult women by Elizabeth Wurtzel. So far it's interesting but by no means a favorite. I think I'm going to read another feminist book with an offensive title next - by Inga Muscio. Just gotta figure out how to read it without anyone noticing the title because I got enough dirty looks on the bus just reading B*tch. lol.
Maybe at an office-supply store or someplace you can find a book cover?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Slap a post it over the title.

I just finished reading True Colors by Kristin Hannah and HATED IT. I had liked Firefly Lane but this was just terrible. I made it about halfway through, skipped to the end to see what happened. Cowboy girl who likes BAD BOYS who are really good! Fat sister who is BITTER and can't get a man due to her weight! Dad who is only nice to cowboy sister! Blech. It's getting wonderful reviews on Amazon, so I guess it's just me. As a disclaimer, I hate boilerplate romance novels (but love stuff like Outlander and Time Traveler's Wife!). Definitely not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Glory87; 02-17-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #49  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

I actually grabbed Outlander off of my bookshelf again! I heard that Diana Gabaldon is writing another one and wanted to reread the whole series before the new one is released!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #50  

Feels like she's been writing the next book for YEARS. I'm just anxious to see who the highlander was outside Claire's window in the present, before her first travel back in time.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #51  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

Ohhh, I know. I'm so glad that I am reading these books again. It's not very often that you find a book(s) that you can get lost in. Any thoughts on who it is??
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Slap a post it over the title.

I just finished reading True Colors by Kristin Hannah and HATED IT. I had liked Firefly Lane but this was just terrible. I made it about halfway through, skipped to the end to see what happened. Cowboy girl who likes BAD BOYS who are really good! Fat sister who is BITTER and can't get a man due to her weight! Dad who is only nice to cowboy sister! Blech. It's getting wonderful reviews on Amazon, so I guess it's just me. As a disclaimer, I hate boilerplate romance novels (but love stuff like Outlander and Time Traveler's Wife!). Definitely not my cup of tea.
I'm so glad I read this. I'm buying a Kindle (get it next week) and True Colors was one of those I was planning on buying for it.

I'm reading Ice Trap (I think). So far it's okay.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #53  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Borntofly...I love the Kristin Billerbeck books! The Spa series are good too! I was hoping for more!

I haven't posted here in ages, of course I've not been getting much reading done either. My last few reads were...Cross Country by James Patterson...big fan of the guy, The Innocent Man by John Grisham, Under The Bridge by Rebecca Godfrey, very sad.

I am currently reading Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos...not so thrilled with it, but it's okay and I will finish it.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
I am currently reading Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos...not so thrilled with it, but it's okay and I will finish it.
Hee - there's a sequel! Belong to Me. I actually read this one first and was VERY annoyed at the main character who held an unfair grudge (imo) against her husband.

Read the below white text if you want to be spoiled, skip if you don't:

She married the "perfect" guy after years of friendship. While they were just friends, he dated a woman who got pregnant and did not tell him. She broke up with him and had the baby on her own. YEARS LATER the woman comes back into their lives with her high school age son and the main character is MAD and almost breaks up with the husband. For what, having a love affair while they weren't even together? Mad at him for another woman NOT telling him he was a father? As soon as the husband finds out he's a parent, he immediately starts doing the right thing - he's "perfect!" Argh, I nearly put the book down. I can understand being upset when life throws you a curveball, but to nearly divorce your husband over something that happened BEFORE you got together? wtf!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I'm so glad I read this. I'm buying a Kindle (get it next week) and True Colors was one of those I was planning on buying for it.

I'm reading Ice Trap (I think). So far it's okay.
I have a Sony Reader - I love it! I hate to judge a book so harshly, but I really didn't like it. I think you can get first chapters for free on the Kindle, maybe you could check it out?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #56  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I have a Sony Reader - I love it! I hate to judge a book so harshly, but I really didn't like it. I think you can get first chapters for free on the Kindle, maybe you could check it out?
I'll do that. I'm actually having a hard time deciding what to read on it first. I've got to finish these two real books first--and the Kindle comes next Wednesday!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #57  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Glory87...a sequel?! Yikes...not sure I can get thru the first one, lol. Most likely won't read the sequel and thanks for the spoiler. I normally won't read them, but I had to know. And yeah, the grudge is unfair, and stupid.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #58  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I actually grabbed Outlander off of my bookshelf again! I heard that Diana Gabaldon is writing another one and wanted to reread the whole series before the new one is released
I totally love these books, and it kills me that she takes so long between them, but I know they must take a lot of research and work. I've read them all several times, and am on the 4th listening to them. THe reader has a lovely Scots accent....

I've not read anything outstanding lately , but I'm listening to World Without End by Ken Follett. Really good.

Interesting about the Kristin Hannah book, Glory. I picked it up and put it down again the other day. I ordinarily like her books.

I've read mixed reviews about the Kindle and other readers. Haven't actually tried any myself. We're having a "Pet Tech" session at our annual library training in May - I'm sure there will be at least one there.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #59  

Quote:
I've read mixed reviews about the Kindle and other readers. Haven't actually tried any myself. We're having a "Pet Tech" session at our annual library training in May - I'm sure there will be at least one there.
I heard a few bad things about the first edition Kindle and decided to wait for the second (although there are still some things that could be improved upon, I understand). My DH was on a plane with Johnny Bench the other day and Johnny had the first edition and raved about it to my DH, so DH came home and said I should buy one. To which I said I was waiting for the second edition. Then, it came out in less than a week!!!

So now folks, what titles do you suggest I put on it?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #60  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

I've been all... book manic lately. I read an amazing womens spirituality book called The Red Book by Sera Beak and I loved it. I am really glad I read it.
I am still reading my offensive titled book- but I'm reading it at home before bed. So far it's got some erm... interesting ideas and opinions. And at work I'm reading a book called Brida by Paulo Coelho who wrote The Alchemist which was amazing. So far it's not as amazing, I'm hoping it picks up soon.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote