General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #46  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Here ya go BIG BIRD ~

On October 19, 2004 Schilling won Game 6 of the 2004 American League Championship Series against the New York Yankees. Notably, he won this game playing on an injured ankle - the same injuries that contributed to his disastrous outing in Game 1 of the ALCS. These injuries were so acute that by the end of his performance that day his white sock was soaked with blood.

The win forced a Game 7, making the Red Sox the first team in MLB history to come back from a three-games-to-none deficit. The Red Sox would go on to win Game 7 and the ALCS and make their first World Series appearance since 1986. Schilling pitched (and won) Game 2 of the 2004 World Series for the Red Sox against the St. Louis Cardinals. In both series, he had to have the tendon in his right ankle stabilized repeatedly, in what has become known as the Schilling Tendon Procedure, after the tendon sheath was torn during his Game 1 ALDS appearance against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. As in Game 6 of the ALCS, Schilling's sock was soaked with blood from the sutures used in this medical procedure, but he still managed to pitch seven strong innings, giving up one run on four hits, and striking out four. This second bloody sock was placed in the Baseball Hall of Fame after Boston's victory over St. Louis in the World Series. A 4-game sweep of the World Series gave Boston its first World Series championship since 1918

Last edited by EZMONEY; 03-27-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #47  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Cheers Gary.

I remember them coming back and winning but didn't know about the sock.

Good game yesterday against the Sox even though they won.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #48  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Yay for the Cardinals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
A 4-game sweep of the World Series gave Boston its first World Series championship since 1918.
Sigh ... such a wonderful story. I could hear it again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydegirl View Post
Good game yesterday against the Sox even though they won.
Why yes ... yes ... it was a good game. I do suspect, Clydegirl that we could meet up this year again, although some West Coast teams are making more noise.

[But more Yay for the Red Sox.]
Old 03-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #49  
One pound at a time.

Bill you never know. It's a long season. I will reserve judgement for now

Should be a good year the All Star Game is here. I have fan fest tickets.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #50  

Height: 5'4"

Wohooo baseball!

I haven't posted much here lately, but I definitely need to post in this thread.

My guys are looking pretty good this spring. Pretty much all of them were away the WBC most of ST, which was fun they all did pretty well, but its nice to have the team finally back together again.

I was hoping my team would be the ones to snatch up Manny, but they just didn't have the money for him. But I am very happy with their acquisitions of Frankie Rodriguez and JJ Putz, should take the Mets from one of the worst bullpens around to one of the best. Hopefully the rest of the team holds up.

I can't wait until next Monday!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #51  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

One of my son's friends just might bleed DODGER BLUE this year...our fingers are crossed! Yesterday's Los Angeles Times printed the following...

Short hops

Brian Mazone's decision to decline an invitation to pitch for Italy in the World Baseball Classic is paying off, as he has made himself a candidate to make the club as a situational left-hander. A non-roster invitee, Mazone tossed a scoreless inning to pick up his second save of the spring and lower his earned-run average to 1.13. He didn't give up his first run of the spring until Wednesday. Mazone, 32, has never pitched in the big leagues. He was in the Philadelphia Phillies' organization last year.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #52  
One pound at a time.

One week until opening day
Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #53  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Can't wait. I have a feeling this will be a good year.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #54  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

OH NO! My son's friend Brian Mazone may not make the squad....DANG!

Los Angeles Times tonight...

Because the Dodgers wanted Ohman to start the season in triple-A Albuquerque, they signed him to a minor league contract. If Ohman gets called up -- something General Manager Ned Colletti said will happen unless Ohman is injured -- he'll earn a base salary of $1.35 million this season. Ohman can opt out of the contract if he isn't promoted by April 14.

The deal includes a $2.2-million option for 2010.

"We think he answers our need for a lefty in the pen," Colletti said.

Manager Joe Torre said Ohman would travel with the Dodgers to Tucson on Tuesday to face the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Erick Threets and Brian Mazone were the leading candidates to be the Dodgers' main left-hander out of the bullpen this season until they signed Ohman. One of them will probably be on the Dodgers' roster until Ohman is called up.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #55  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Sorry for delay Clydegirl... Thank you EZ for sharing Curt's story... it is one of my best memories of that year... Good game against Rays today... Sox won 8-7 thank goodness... good way to end ST games...

5 days
20 hours
40 mins...........To Opening Day...

I'll be enjoying my right field box seats and throwing out the first pitch on opening day... in my dreams guys.... only in my dreams... I'll be plopped in front of my old Zenith...with a Tofu dog and diet Pepsi

This thread is already hopping... Have fun everyone....
Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #56  
Maintanier to the MAX

Caroline, who do you favor in the Sox?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #57  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearFreak View Post
Caroline, who do you favor in the Sox?
Pear, My absolute favorite is Mike Lowell, great player, good leader, good attitude and a gentleman... Pedroia heads up the list for newbies and Varitek amazes me they way he calls his games... I really feel like they are 'his' games....

Who are your favorites ?

4 Days
21 Hours
52 Minutes........
Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #58  
Maintanier to the MAX

Well, seeing as you asked, Caroline.

I like Pedroia, Beckett and have always been a Schilling fan.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #59  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

I have the best news ever.... ! my family had a small birthday party for me tonight and gave me opening day tickets for Sox... I am so excited... I can't believe it... I'm going... I don't know how they pulled this off but I was so surprised... I started dropping hints back in December and figured it was a lost cause... Dreams do come true....
Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #60  
One pound at a time.

Wow Caroline great news.

So are you taking Bill ?

The weather is not going to be very nice here for opening Day.
Closed Thread