General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Default Food Network: Favorite chef or showhost?

Okay so I'm a little addicted to Food Network lately. Since I can't get food off of my mind, it's like I might as well watch someone make something incredible on TV.

Anyway, I've come to truly love & be inspired by Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). She's so thoughtful about flavor, it's almost as if I can smell everything she makes. She uses a billion herbs. And everything she makes just ends up making sense to me in my head. Even for me she still uses a tad too much Olive Oil, but I know that if I just reduce that, and maybe change some things to fat free that her recipes are totally decadent.

Unfortunately her show seems to be surrounded by 'chefs' that I am a little prickly about. Sandra Lee *grawr* don't get me started. And Paula Deen, a woman who couldn't even get through a 'butter-free' episode without using butter.

But, I'm curious. What do you lads & ladies watch on Food Network? Have a favorite or very un-favorite chef?
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I love Alton and Aida, because I'm sort of a food science geek. Also, I've never tried an Alton recipe that didn't turn out well (unlike some of the others).

Faerie, I join you in your Sandra Lee shuddering. But I want this t-shirt for my birthday: http://www.onehorseshy.com/cool/kwan...eshy.336169350
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I try to avoid food cooking shows, because it makes me want to eat.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
But I want this t-shirt for my birthday: http://www.onehorseshy.com/cool/kwan...eshy.336169350
I am laughing my butt off right now! I have seen that episode and it was truly horrible.

Oh, and also, I can't believe I forgot to mention Alton! <3 him.

Last edited by Lovely; 01-09-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

The only food related show that I watch is chef ramsay's kitchen nightmares. I used to work in a kitchen and I like what he does to the overall staff and managment..puts them in their place!
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #6  
FB

OMG! Really? I looked at the shirt, thought to myself how offensive it was and then googled Kwanzaa Cake only to find a video on Food Network. Really? What is wrong with that lady?

I haven't watched Food Network in years, since my high school days. Back then it was Molto Mario and Emeril.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #7  
No description available.

That Kwanzaa cake episode took the cake....

I learned to cook from Alton Brown and Rachael Ray, but I don't watch them much anymore. I don't really watch any Food Network these days. The only cookbook I've opened in the last few months is Ina Garten's. She makes such classic yummy things with whole foods. I mean, watch the desserts and all, but olive oil and herbs are good for us!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Nothing says "sensitive celebration of Kwanzaa" like giant candles and Corn nuts. Also canned apple pie filling.

I watch a LOT of Sandra Lee, actually, with an expression of abject disbelief on my face.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

We like Alton. Ina is neat. She has an incredibly interesting background.

We're avid Iron Chef fans. I started watching in when it was on Japanese TV and subtitled. It gave me interesting stuff to discuss with my students.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #10  
No description available.

A brief review of Amanda's expressions during semi-homemade for your pleasure!

Last edited by midwife; 01-09-2009 at 06:23 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #11  
I wanna be a loser, too

Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

We used to watch Sandra Lee at work just to laugh... now, since I'm home alone I can't even turn it on, because I'll just be scoffing to myself.

FB - I remember Mario, always thought he was cute. Not exactly what one should be admiring a chef about, I suppose.

Midwife - The husband just got me one of her cookbooks for Christmas. I do truly love what she makes. And, oh yes, olive oil & herbs are great for us. But I have a tendency to overdo it with oil, so I always reel it back for recipes whenever I can.

I believe it was a repeat this evening, but she made some really great sounding beet salad with onions and oranges. I'll have to get the recipe to try it out.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

Mare - Iron Chef is amazing! My friends & I even had our own Iron Chef competition that I got to judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post

A brief review of Amanda's expressions during semi-homemade for your pleasure!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

We entered some appetizers in an IC competition. We won. Boy! That was a long long time ago. That was when there was a website ironchef.com here in the Bay Area. There were about 100 people on it and we would get together. Once Food Network got it, the website kinda went away because it was just too much for the person who started it.

Last edited by cbmare; 01-09-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

My guilty pleasure is Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. However once I watch that show I have to realize I will be eating badly after because it makes me soooo hungry. The food all looks so good.

As for actual cooking shows, I hate Giada but she does cook good food. I like Rachel Ray's recipes, but my all time favorite is Nigella.
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote