General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Albuquerque NM Chicks!

Hey fellow Chicks! I need some help.

I'm going to be meeting my guy in Albuquerque next week - it'll be the first time we've seen each other in over a month and the last time we're going to see each other until after New Years. So I'd like to make the most of it.

I'm fairly familiar with the town - I used to spend every Christmas there with a friend when I was in college. I'm ok with places to take him and things to go do together. But it's been long enough since I've been there that I don't know the restaurant scene any more.

I really need suggestions on GOOD local places to take him. We're not looking for a fancy or expensive place. What we want is good, local food at a reasonable price. And not a chain. We're staying up near Balloon Fiesta Park, but I'm open to a place just about anywhere.

If there's a place someone can recommend in Old Town, that's not an utter tourist trap, hat would be great, too, but I'm more about good food than a tourist spot, if that makes sense.

My guy has never been to NM before and never had real yummy NM food and experienced the culture. So I'd like to share some of that with him.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and thoughts.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

We went to Albuquerque last year and have friends that live there. My husband went more recently and his NM friends took him to a few places, I can ask where (although I know they ate at Costco one day...)

Church Street Cafe in old town was my most favorite place www.churchstreetcafe.com

Edited!

Ok the restaurant that we went to that locals like is called El Pinto (I'm 98% sure) www.elpinto.com

Those would be my 2 suggestions.

My parents (who visit NM fairly often) love Guardun~os (sp?) but it is a tourist restaurant and I didn't like it at all.

Last edited by nelie; 12-02-2008 at 02:05 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #3  

Nelie - you rock. Thank you so much.

This trip means a lot to me - it's been a really awful few weeks and to spend even just 3 days with my sweetie and enjoy each other is something I'm really looking forward to. Especially since we won't see each other for 2 more months - unless something miraculous comes up.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #4  
Just Me

The other thing I'd suggest is hiking at Tent Rocks if the weather is favorable. Its half way between ABQ and Santa Fe so we did it on our drive to Santa Fe but it was fun.

I also enjoyed (a very crowded) mass at the large church in old town. Oh and I almost forgot but taking the Tram is a must do but I'd take some cool weather clothes to do that. It can get cold up there.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #5  
Slowly but surely!

S/C/G: 185/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

I was born and raised in Albuquerque, NM and would sugget that you consider taking your guy to the following places for great food:

Sandiago's Mexican Grill located at the the base of the Tram - good food, excellent happy hour and the most beautiful view at sunset. Plus you can catch the Tram afterwards.

El Pinto - Nelie - fantastic suggestion - my favorite restaurant due to the atmosphere. Located in the North Valley, which has considerable charm.

Season's Rotisserie & Grill - Located in Old Town, a little on the pricey side but so worth the cost. Serves the most delicious grilled salmon.

Casa Rondena Winery - offers wine tasting daily (except for Tuesdays, I think) in a beautiful vineyard setting. The location feels removed from the city, but not too far away.

Kelly's Brewery - used to be an old gas station on Route 66, they offer inexpensive beer brewed onsite and tasty appetizers. It is located in the heart of Nob Hill next to fun, pedestrian friendly retail shops.

Hope this helps, and have fun! (Sorry - I don't think that I can post links yet, but these restaurants can be easily found doing a google search).
taro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #6  
No description available.

Absolutely Church St Cafe in Old Town (it's supposed to be haunted)
Agree with El Pinto
Agree avoid Garduno's (ick).

If you want the world's most amazing breakfast burrito (ever!!!) go to Dos Hermanos. There are a few locations. Cheap good New Mexican food can be found at the Frontier by UNM. Los Cuates is really good too. Eloy's on Wyoming and Constitution is pretty good. Flying Star is good for breakfast as is Weck's.*

I would also recommend a green chile cheeseburger from Blake's. I know, I know, but you haven't tasted New Mexico until you've eaten at Blake's

And I wonder why I was 50 pounds overweight????

Please note that these are not calorie conscious locations, even though you can probably make reasonably good choices....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #7  

You guys are the best. Thank you so so much!

El Pinto is definitely going on the list.
I suspect we'll hit up the Church St. Cafe for lunch on Thurs, too.

Yeah, I don't really suspect I'll eat on plan while I'm there. I'm not gonna go overboard ... then again I suspect I'll get plenty of exercise, too! *wicked grin*

Sweetie flies out the day before I do (he leaves Friday and I couldn't get a flight out until Saturday noon), so maybe I'll get a breakfast burrito on my way to the airport on Saturday!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-02-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #8  
Just Me

midwife - I forgot that you live in ABQ, right? Maybe I'll have to meet up with you when we go out next. My husband keeps asking when we can visit again. Although I keep thinking I want to go somewhere where we haven't been or haven't been in a while.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #9  
No description available.

That would be awesome, Nelie. It is pretty great how many chicks come to ABQ for this and that. I would love to meet you.

Last edited by midwife; 12-02-2008 at 04:48 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #10  

Just wanted to let you know that El Pinto was a HUGE success. I had green chili chicken enchiladas and he had a pork burrito with green chili sauce.

Mmmmm.

Plus I got to stand outside and smell the pinon smoke from the fireplace. I love that smell so much and you just can't duplicate it anywhere else.

We're off to Old Town to wander and see the lights as soon as he showers and freshens up.