Weight loss and mestruation.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I used to have very heavy, VERY VERY painful, normal length periods, and now I have very light, virtually painless periods that last more than a couple days longer than usual... Is this in any way related to the way I'm eating, or the weight loss?
  • Could be both.

My cramps have virtually disappeared since losing a lot of weight and I find that my periods are much more regular now. But I don't know for sure if it's the weight, the healthy food, or a combination of both. It's most likely both.

• Sweet, I'm so glad the pain is going away, it used to be painful to stand, back pain and all.
  • painful moody horrible periods are very closely linked to an unbalanced diet. your body doesn't have all the good stuff keeping it going through the bad times, as it is during a period, so it drains your mood and in general takes a lot more of your resources. if you're providing your body with a nice balanced diet full of vitamins, minerals, and all those other things you need, it will naturally balance out, and should make you feel loads better during that time. i've definitely seen an improvement since starting to lose weight, as well!
  • Both the heaviness and the cramps got MUCH better. What shocked me was that it happened with the very first period after changing how I was living. And then I think recently it's gotten a little better still.
  • Yeh, it did change immediately for me too.
  • Based on personal experience, I think more so it has to do with the foods you eat, even though the fact you've lost weight has an impact as well.

If you're exercising (I'm assuming you are), that will also have a substantial effect. For me, anyway - eating clean, healthy foods and exercising regularly are what have transformed nightmarish cramps into much less.

Plus, I used to get gassy and bloated BIG TIME before my periods, and now even though I still go through a few days of normal fluid retention, I don't feel as lethargic and moody as I used to before my period.

Another thing I found helped me was taking a fish oil supplement (which helps in countless ways).
  • It depends. My periods are 100% better but I will occasionally have a really bad one. It usually happens when I drop weight fast. Estrogen is stored in our fat and sometimes losing weight and the amount of estrogen released can tilt the way our periods are going.
  • I had VERY bad periods with major cramps until I had kids....had a miscarriage and they started again...had an ovary removed that had a lemon sized cyst wrapped around it and it stopped for awhile....started again and had a d & c--was good for awhile and now entering premenopuase and have either very bad cramps or a migrane...sometimes both...fun stuff...

all happenning while I was big or small, eating good or not, exercising or not......so for me I really don't see a link.
  • Oh My! I have been single for too long! When I first saw this thread...I misread the title as Weight loss and mastrabation! Oooops!

Could be an interesting subject though!
  • Quote: Oh My! I have been single for too long! When I first saw this thread...I misread the title as Weight loss and mastrabation! Oooops!

Every day should start with such good belly laugh
  • Quote: Oh My! I have been single for too long! When I first saw this thread...I misread the title as Weight loss and mastrabation! Oooops!

Hahaahaha!!!! Well.... I wonder... maybe if I got like a huge swing to masturbate on it might help with the weight loss... ahaha
  • and and btw. CRAMPS FROM HELLL, CRAMPSSSSS ARE SO BAD I CAN'T WALK.... ARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH okay... complaining makes the pain feel... well the same... lol
  • Oh you poor thing. Heating pad? Ibuprofen? Lots of whining! Whining makes the pain bearable ... not better, just bearable.

• I took two mercyndol, some cramp relief stuff... they have lots of codein, really knocked me out.