General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 AM   #1  
Nice Pants

S/C/G: 224/202/199

Height: 5' 10.4239"

Default Mayonnaise

When I was a kid, I didn't like mayonnaise at all. (Now there's a big revelation: I might as well say I didn't like brussels sprouts, homework, or "give him a haircut just like mine.") One day, when I was in my teens, I recall my cousin making a sandwich and spreading mayonnaise all over the bread. "Ew!" I exclaimed. In utter disbelief I asked, "You like mayonnaise!?" "No," she replied, "but it's the only thing that makes the pepper stick." It wasn't until years later (and by that I mean, "just now") that I realized she wasn't serious.

Despite not enjoying mayo, I did have a certain fondness for deviled eggs. Apparently mayonnaise is a primary ingredient. One day while I was still in college I called up my mom. "Mom! How do you make deviled eggs?" (Ahhh... life before the internet as we know it.) "Eggs, mayo, mustard, relish, salt, pepper," she shot back. "How much of each?" "No idea. Just what looks right." Fair enough.

I boiled eggs, peeled them, cut them, and separated the yokes. Into the yokes I put two teaspoons of mayo, a quart of mustard, two whole pickles (didn't have any relish) plus a cup of salt and a cup of pepper.

Just kidding. I did it right. But when I was done, the spoon still had mayonnaise on it. I was about to rinse it off when a thought occurred to me. Hmmm... I wonder... Before I could talk myself out of it, I popped the spoon in my mouth and cleaned it off the old fashioned way. "Hey, that wasn't half bad." Maybe there is a reason it exists.

After that, I found many new and wonderful things I could put mayonnaise on: sandwiches, cheeseburgers, fettuccine, corn flakes, marshmallows, Pop-Tarts, stray dogs, roommates faces while they were asleep, ... the possibilities were endless. I couldn't believe I'd gone so long denying this wonderful substance.

So what's my point today? Well, if you happen to like mayonnaise, just eat it. Don't worry about the fat, the calories, or all the stuff we've been brainwashed to condemn over the last few decades. It's not like you're going to put a gallon of it on your sandwich. A tablespoon, tops, I would guess. Maybe even half that. You've probably added, what, fifty calories to your sandwich? (Plus a whole lotta taste.) And in return you haven't added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, cellulose gel, xanthan gum, artificial colors, or calcium disodium. Is all that gunk really worth a couple dozen calories?

Eat the real stuff. In the long run you're probably better off both physically and psychologically. Just don't spread it on your friends while they're asleep. Some people apparently don't like that at all.
hillsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've always LOVED mayo, especially Hellman's, but hated all of the reduced calorie kind. I finally decided I was going to stop trying to find a good reduced calorie mayo, and just come to grips with the idea of learning to "use mayo responsibly."

Recently visiting my parents in Illinois, (because it was the only mayo in their house) I tried Hellman's Canola mayonaise (50 calories instead of 100 per tablespoon). I really liked it, so now I buy that.

It reminded me of what I've been telling my nephews (they're only 4 and 7), that taste buds can change, and things you "don't like," can become things you do, so they should try things they know they don't like, every once in a while to make sure they still don't like them. Their mother (a dietitian) tells them the same thing - and they are surprisingly willing to "keep tasting" things they don't like, but it reminded me that it's just as true for me.

I recently discovered that I like a life-long enemy - brussel sprouts, if they're very fresh and I roast them with oil and ranch dressing powder.

It's not enough to inspire me to eat brussel sprouts weekly, but it reminds me how easily and often, tastes really can change.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 AM   #3  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsc View Post

...plus a cup of salt and a cup of pepper.

...marshmallows, Pop-Tarts, stray dogs, roommates faces while they were asleep, ... the possibilities were endless. I couldn't believe I'd gone so long denying this wonderful substance.

Just don't spread it on your friends while they're asleep. Some people apparently don't like that at all.
I like your delivery of humour.

p.s. mayo kicks a$s bro.

Last edited by mazza; 09-22-2008 at 05:00 AM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #4  
Goddess in Training

S/C/G: 207/177/147 (?)

Height: 5'4"

I'm glad you posted this, because I've been looking at the fake mayo in my fridge for the last week thinking "It tastes like ***...but it's only 10 calories." Out it goes.
shrillharpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Thanks for posting... you make some good points!

Also, Mmmm.... deviled eggs.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I liked mayo well enough when I was younger but I don't think it tastes all that good for the calories it adds. I think there are other things I rather have (like dark chocolate) for the same calories.

For many years, I used substitutes like yogurt and such for things that called for mayo. Mustard is my favorite thing to add to sandwiches for lots of flavor and very minimal calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm more of a mustard person than a mayo person, but I agree that the no-fat mayos taste like crap.

I will use light mayo if I'm making tuna/chicken salad or deviled eggs, just because the mayo is more of a binder than a flavor component. But if I'm making a sandwich, it's real mayo all the way!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #8  
Nice Pants

Quote:
use mayo responsibly
I like that.

Quote:
I think there are other things I rather have (like dark chocolate) for the same calories.
Please tell me by that you don't mean that you're favorite sandwich is now a turkey, swiss, and dark chocolate on rye.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #9  

Height: 5'9"

I'm weird when it comes to mayo. I love it on TOASTED sandwhiches and burgers. But as soon as I taste/smell/see it on BREAD(not toasted) I gag and can't eat the sandwhich. That includes buns as well. It HAS to be toasted. I have NO idea why. I also refuse to switch to miracle whip, that crap is gross. I do eat low calorie hellman's mayo.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'll use mayo if I feel like it, but it's not my favorite, and I've never been one to like it slathered on. I almost always think avocado sounds so much tastier on a sandwich or as a dip base.

Recently I discovered that I LOVE a quarter avocado sliced onto a piece of hearty toasted bread, and a touch of salt. Nothing else. LOVE.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

While maintaining, I don't mind being judicious with mayo. When I'm actively trying to lose I don't eat mayo much, if at all. It's just not worth the 100 calories per Tablespoon to me (1T is not that much when you measure it out.) I'd rather have 1/4 of an avocado (57 calories) or 2T of hummus (50 calories) on my sandwiches instead. More flavor, less calories.

I do think mayo should be made with a healthy fat though (olive oil or canola) and homemade is even better.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsc View Post
I like that.

Please tell me by that you don't mean that you're favorite sandwich is now a turkey, swiss, and dark chocolate on rye.

No but you can always have a sandwich with dark chocolate on the side Also, someone mentioned avocado which I absolutely LOVE and that is another thing I rather use than mayo.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I don't think I've ever liked mayo. I use the fake stuff, but only in moderation. I prefer mustard on my sandwiches, but the mayo does help if things are too dry (although pickle slices work, too).

A deli near here does a BLT with avocado and they don't do any dressing at all--the avocado is more than enough creaminess!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #14  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I've recently started using the Kraft Olive Oil mayo and I think it's pretty good. 45 cals/tbsp. It's got a mix of olive and canola oils for the bulk of it, and so I use it frequently since I actually had a problem of not eating enough fat in my diet.. haha.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #15  
Nice Pants

Someone elsewhere mentioned the olive oil stuff with half the calories. I decided to look it up (because I couldn't see how going from one oil to another would cut calories in half: oil is oil). Turns out it's a "mayonnaise dressing" and not "mayonnaise." Therefore, it comes with all the usual sugars and gums and odd things things they use to replace oil.

Still, everyone I've heard has raved about it. So I may have to check it out myself.