General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #1  
Keep on Keepin' ON

S/C/G: 190/179/150

Height: 5'3"

Question Animals

Hiya everyone,

So I was reading another thread and it prompted me to start thinking...what sort of animals are people into? This question can be as broad or specific as you like. And also, what animal do you see yourself as?

For me: I love dogs and cats in part because when I was growing up they were pretty much my only friends.
We only ever had Domestic Shorthair cats, so I don't know many of the other breeds personally, although my bf grew up with main coons and really wants one.
In terms of dogs I adore beagles (again, what I grew up with), but I also love: mastiffs, rottweilers, pitbulls, cocker spaniels, german pinscers, standard poodles, and german shepherds.
I also love horses, I've worked as a groom for years. I've always wanted a halflinger horse (looks like a big draft horse but is pony sized).
Wild critters: I love wolves, they're my totem. I also love big cats.
I like some creepy crawlies...I like big spiders, like tarantulas and I love snakes.

As I said, I grew up around animals, so I feel very at peace around them. I also have worked in stables and at present I work in a boarding kennel and have gotten to know a lot of breeds that I wouldn't have other wise. My one request for this thread is that we not engage in any breed bashing. I tend to be of the opinion that except for rare cases, most animal behavior is the direct result of how they were raised and how they were/are treated. In short, it is usually a people problem rather than a breed problem. *steps off soapbox*

Oh, and if you hadn't guessed from my avatar, I see myself as a wolf. Proud, loyal, intelligent, independent, brave.

I look forward to your thoughts girls!

Sidheag
Sidheag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

any animal...i have a dog and two cats...and own a horse...but since i'm a vet...i pretty much like everything.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #3  

I love german shepherds, adore them!! We have a black lab, not my favorite kind but he is a gentle giant and so goofy he's adorable!!

I always loved horses myself, especially the really big guys!! Turtles too are my favorites. Okay, I guess I love everybody, especially any baby animals (no love for creapy, crawly bugs).

I can't really think of any animal I'm like (maybe a possom is all I could think of because I think they are pretty good moms, a bit shy/skidish and are nocturnal )

Last edited by shelby897; 08-30-2008 at 08:30 AM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I like the last part of your question: What animal do you see YOURSELF as?

This one is easy. "I" am a cat.

I can be friendly, sociable, and cute-when the mood strikes me.

Otherwise, I am more of a loner. I am always "careful" and tend to sit back and observe others before getting to know them. I am picky, and like things my own way around the house, etc. I am extremely independent. I would rip someone's arm off if they tried to harm my children, but I don't really feel emotional attachments to OTHER people's children. When I want to be left alone, I want to be left alone. I'll let you know when I am in the mood to socialize-if I'm not, don't push it on me. When I don't like someone, they know it-I am not rude or anything, I just don't go out of my way to act like I like someone if I don't. I am picky about my food, accomodations, etc.

I am simply, a cat. I also HAVE a 6 year old female cat, and we get along FINE.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I also wanted to add, that my husband is a "dog". He lives for attention, and is extremely loyal. But, the dog gets on the nerves of the cat quite a bit.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #6  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

We have a beagle Joey, 2 cats Miles & Indy and a bird Mango. Add the 3 kids and out 3 bdrm apartment gets alittle crazy! Good thing we are gettting our house next summer. That means hubby wants another dog! And I will be investing in a super strength vaccuum for all the fur and shares in a vet clinic.

Last edited by JuliaDH; 08-30-2008 at 08:56 AM.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

People are going to think I'm insane - RATS are my favourite animal. I had pet rats, my last one just died last month They are incredibly friendly and smart. I love all rodents, but rats won my heart.

Last edited by luvja; 08-30-2008 at 09:00 AM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 318/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

I am totally a cat lady. I even "converted" my dh from dogs to cats . Most of my life, I picked up stray kittens. In the last 10 years, though, I've been adopting adult cats brought into shelters. Four of our six cats' owners died and no one was left to take care of them. One cat's owner was moving to a place that didn't allow pets. The last one was "given up for no good reason"--that's what the card said at the shelter anyway.

We've have a dog and have had rabbits and they're cute but I'm not especially drawn to them.
Irishcoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #9  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I'm a cat person all the way!!! I love kitties, and want more, lol. I also love the big cats..lions are my #1 fave.

In my past life..I think I was probably a cat. One that was really spoiled, lol.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #10  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

i'm a dog person, but i love cats, and almost all other animals. i am a HUGE animal enthusiest. as for what kind of animal i am...perhaps i am some sort of pygmy owl.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Chinchillas are probably my favoritest animal on earth! They are so cute & fuzzy!

If I were an animal... I think I'd probably be one of three things: raven, pig, or monkey.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/178/120

Height: 5'5"

Oooh...Haflingers...love those. I've told my husband that when I turn 40 no matter if we have a place in the country yet or not, I get a horse. We'll have to board it, but there are plenty of places here or it could maybe stay on his parents' farm. I will never be able to get my favourite breed...the Gypsy. I can't afford to spend $20,000+ on a horse! I'm not tall, and while I've ridden a Thoroughbred, and a tall one at that...if I get off out in a field somewhere I want a horse I don't need a stepladder to get back on. So, Arab or Haflinger or something along that size is what I'll probably end up with. I love to jump and ride English.

Wolves...I love them, and they love me. A kid who went to my school for one year had wolves. He brought one to school for his science project. I was the ONLY person in the whole school other than family that he would let pet him, everyone else it was obvious he wasn't pleased. I think it was highly dangerous and irresponsible (and cruel to the wolf) but at the time I was thrilled. Also, the wolves that used to live at our zoo...a mother and son...would come running and talk to me whenever I went there. They'd both stand on their hind legs with their feet on the wall wagging their tails and whimpering and making cute little barks.

Elephants...possibly my all time favourite animal. I got to do a photo shoot in the back yard of the elephant area at our zoo. I HATE that they are in zoos just as I don't think the primates should be in zoos. They need more room and freedom, but I still love them.

(oh, and my hand isn't hairy...that is part of the elephant's trunk there! )

The face is Packy...sorry, it hasn't really been adjusted for the screen viewing, this was just a grab after I'd taken it...checking crop and no adjustment. He's quite a famous elephant. You do NOT get into the pen with a bull elephant, just the females, but I got to be right up against the fence.

Other than that...well, really I pretty much love almost all animals. Frogs, cats, dogs, fish, giraffes, orangutans, heck I even like hippo!

Last edited by CaffeineIV; 08-30-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Had to actually add the pictures in RIGHT :)
CaffeineIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I'm MUCH more of a dog person....I have a schnauzer. I really like German Shepherds too. (Schnauzers are the best for me though...allergies.)

If I could have any animal in the world as a pet (and had the space, money was no object, etc) I'd want a Manatee!! I know, they're the sea-cow and all that...but I just love them.

Hmm....what creature am I....how about a bookworm?
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #14  

I was wearing blinders and only thinking of the "regular" animals. I LOVE manatees!! I just think they look so laid back and cool (and they are "obese" just like me )
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 194/178/140

Height: 5'4"

I have a variety of animals... 4 dogs, a cat, a bearded dragon (lizard), a rabbit, a tortoise and a Macaw (parrot). Maggie the macaw is my favorite though! She is SO smart! Her vocabulary is amazing, although she does know a few words that I wish she didn't!! She demands alot of attention, but since I am a stay at home mom and my youngest daughter is 13 now, I have plenty of time to devote to her. She loves to squawk at new people to make them jump and then laughs this evil laugh.... it is hilarious!
Krazedmom is offline   Reply With Quote