General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Default To include or not to include?

Hey guys, I wonder if I can poll some opinions here. I mentioned in another post that I am getting ready to apply for my first job after graduating from university. And I have a question about whether or not to include an experience on my resume. I apologize it's a bit lenthy

I had a summer job about a year ago that was specific to my program of study (nursing). I worked on a hospital floor doing most of what fully-graduated nurses do, even though I was still in school at the time. It was a fantastic opportunity, I earned a lot of money, the only thing was: I hated it. I mean, absolutely hated it. I felt so stressed out, I dreaded every time I had to go in to work (literally), and I was just so unhappy. I worked hard while I was there, I didn't slack off, I was punctual, I only called in sick once, I worked responsibly. But I don't think I ever smiled (rarely), I think I came off as unsure of myself and probably stressed out/anxious, I never really bonded with my coworkers (I mean, I got along with them politely, but nothing more than that). Plus, I am fairly quiet and shy to start with. But I think I just seemed SO UNHAPPY and I kept to myself (a coworker actually asked me if I was a loner, to my face). And while I did the work required, I always felt that I was struggling; so despite getting all my work done, it may have appeared that I couldn't handle the job, at least emotionally. It was really taking a toll on me, emotionally and physically, so I decided to resign and I left earlier than the end-date. Before I left, I spoke with my manager and asked if she would be comfortable providing me with a great reference, and she said yes. Now, she didn't seem like the type to lie but maybe it was just a response she gave me in that moment before I was leaving, who knows.

So, now I've graduated and I'm applying for jobs in public health nursing. The work is entirely different. These kinds of nurses don't work in a hospital with acutely-ill patients but in the community with clients doing things like presentations at schools, immunization clinics, health education and health promotion (ever see posters for washing your hands ), health campaigns, visiting moms who have had new babies at home, doing pre-natal teaching, etc. Definitely NOT running around on a busy hospital floor giving medication, doing dressings, taking vital signs, taking blood, hanging IVs, etc. So the work is quite different - it's still nursing, but really quite different.

However, that hospital experience was unique and having it on my resume would definitely make me stand-out. It's definitely not experience that most applicants (new-graduates) have. So including it would looks FABULOUS. But I'm not sure if I would receive a good reference from that job (despite what my manager said). Because of that, I wouldn't provide that specific reference along with the other references that I will be providing, unless the interviewer specifically asked me for it - and what if they did? Is it worth having that experience on my resume, as great as it sounds, at the potential risk of revealing a poor reference, or revealing that I resigned early? And I have to apply for this job by early tomorrow. So even if I contacted that manager to confirm that she'd provide me with a great reference, there wouldn't be enough time to hear back.

Because of all of this, I haven't included the job on my resume. I hope/trust that my resume is strong enough on its own without it, but including the job would definitely be a great asset to my application.

What do you think? In your opinion, would it be better that I include it on my resume or do you suggest leaving it off and not mentioning it?

- and if you've read all of this... thank you! you're an angel sorry it's so long, I wanted to explain what I meant
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi , having worked as an RN for 20 yrs. myself, I would include it. It shows that you have some experience above and beyond what most positions would expect from a new graduate. Plus, in most states the only information a previous employer is allowed to divulge is your beginning and ending date of employment and the salary you were paid. It sounds like you left on good terms with your supervisor, so you should have nothing to worry about.

Best of luck in your nursing career. I also found that floor nursing was not for me. Some nurses absolutely love it and some don't. I'm glad you now have the opportunity to apply for an area that is more to your liking.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I would definitely include it. You did the work, and gained experience from it. I'd put it in my resume, and if I was asked for a reference from that manager, I would contact her and ask for a letter of reference that you could photocopy to give your prospective employers. She shouldn't give you a bad reference, as she knows you already asked her for one, and she agreed. Good Luck!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #4  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Include it. Even if she gives you a bad reference, your other references will speak volumes to who you are and what you are about. Typically they check references after an interview (here, anyway), so you can explain that while you love nursing, you discovered that floor nursing was not something you enjoyed.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #5  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Can't you include it, have the phone number available, but not have it as your top 3 references?

When I hire I just call the top 3 references, and if something sounds weird I may call a fourth. Maybe nursing is different.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I would include it in the work experience section, but list other professional references. If asked about the job at your interview, answer honestly. How you valued the experience you gained, and that it helped you realize that you wanted to pursue a different type of nursing job.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Include it.

Another point that you need to think about is that often during an interview process you'll get asked a question about the most difficult situation you've faced or how you handled a stressful situation ... and this would be something that you could answer honestly to as part of your history. It can always be used to explain what you *learned* from the experience rather than what you hated .. you learned that that type of nursing was not for you, that your skills and talents lay in other directions, etc. There's always a way to make a positive out of a negative ... and if the director will give you a good review then it works even better in your favor.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, I work for local government, and while things may be somewhat different here, all we are allowed to ask for, and give, for references is dates of employment, rate of pay, why the person left (fired, resigned, end of job) and if they're eligible for rehire. I'd defnitely include it in my resume. It's still nursing, whether or not it's Public Health. And if your potential employer calls the hospital, it's likely they'll get the HR dept and just get the above information. If you're going to list the supervisor as a "personal" reference, where she might give more information, then I'd call her and ask her if it's still okay to list her name.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 281/251/165

Height: 5'6

I've never taken nursing, or been interested in it, but I would definitely include it. If you did as much as you say then that would definitely be an added bonus to potential employers. You seem like you'd be a real asset to a company, don't hold back...
albertagirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

You did your duty and kept to your responsibilities, that should give you a good reference. Definately include it!
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

Include it. It's relevant experience and may justify a higher starting salary than a recently graduated nurse with no hands on experience.
It might swing the decision towards you too. If I had two recent graduates and one had this experience and one did not I may swing to the candidate with more experience.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote