General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #31  

Just a suggestion -- I've done medical billing for a while -- have you talked to the doctor about a payment plan? I'm assuming he will send you elsewhere for the testing -- most hospitals will bill the insurance company, get a denial and then give a discount and/or payment plan -- just in case you want to do this now. Also, is there any chance you qualify for some sort of state insurance to cover the difference? Just something to look into if you are interested.

Big babies don't run in my family, I was just "lucky" enough to have two boys over 10 lbs!! I hurt my back both times I was pregnant doing something silly -- definitely stressful!! Best of luck -- a child (naturally or blessed through adoption) is wonderful and I wish you the best of luck (now or next year )
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #32  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I have a fungal story:

I have a skin condition (fungus) called Tinea Versicolor. I got it from tanning in a booth (which apparently wasn't properly cleaned).

Now in the springtime, I break out in these nasty scaley fungal patches all over my body. For the longest time, I was shelling out $$$ for fungal cream.

I wore long sleeved turtlenecks in the summer with jeans. I would keep my hair down around my face because it was on my cheeks and neck. It was DISCUSTING!!!

My DH got it as well.

Then I had a pharmacist (god bless her soul) tell us to try Selsun Blue instead. We did and it was GONE!!!

Once you get TInea Versicolor, you'll never stop getting it. It comes back every year, but with Selsun Blue - we got rid of our yearly breakout within days instead of months!!!

So don't worry - you're not alone

Last edited by tamaralynn; 07-18-2008 at 08:36 AM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Aww, Tamaralynn, I'm sorry! That stinks--I'm going ot look at the Selsun Blue too.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #34  

Height: 5'7"

Just found this thread and wanted to chime in on the fungal/shaving thing so you don't feel so alone - this exact thing happened to my sister not too long ago, but on her legs. Apparently she was shaving wrong too, took off the top layer of skin, let in the infection.... Yikes!

And here's a funny misunderstanding - I was talking with my dad about it and he was wondering where she picked up the infection, so he says, "I wonder where she was shaving!" And I go, "Dad! She was shaving her legs!" ... yeah, I assumed he meant where on her body. Breached the topic of alternative shaving sites with my father. Yikes.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #35  

Tamaralynn -- I had the same thing as you -- I got it from sharing a towel with a roommate. My doctor gave me a dose of Diflucan and it was gone for good. I had it for about five or six years. It would show up on my arms, chest, back and neck -- worse in the summer -- thank god it never "crawled" up to my face!! I haven't had it in about nine or ten years.

It nice to know, even when we think we have something so embarrassing no one would understand that there are lots of people in the same boat!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #36  

Funny thing--I told one of my good friends about it, since we were hanging out today and I wanted her to know I might smell a little. She calls it my "pit fungus". For some reason, it struck me as funny. I guess I'm okay poking fun at myself now
Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Aww chickybird- I hope things get better for you! I have had an infection too with my underarms- it was pretty nasty. Plus I've had lots of allergic reactions to deodrants so..you're not alone!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #38  

I'm now allowed to wear deodorant!!! The thing is, I have tried a couple, Almay hypoallergenic and Dove. They make me itch a little. I've heard that some people can be allergic to deodorants. Do any of you know of an anti-antiperspirant I could use? What about those all natural ones made by JASON or Tom's of Maine?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 186/158/135

Height: 5'5"

Chickybird,

I'm glad you're able to use deodorant again! And thanks for the warning about using body wash to shave. I was lazy and just did that this morning; though usually I use Aloe Vera gel as a shave cream for all the bits I shave.

I have to buy different deodorant each time, because if I use the same type consistently, I get red bumps on my pits. Currently I'm using unscented Secret. I've not tried any of the all natural ones yet.

Also, to those who used seltsen blue to get rid of fungus, I love that trick too. My GP told me about it when I had a fungal spot on my neck and I shared it with my sister when she got the same type of fungus the following year.

And to those of you who talk about bathing with H&S. Thanks! That's such a relief. My boyfriend always washes his entire body with his off brand H&S and I was a little concerned, but you've relieved my mind and I may try it myself if I run out of Dove (which my OB/GYN told me I should use).
colebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

Tamaralynn, I have Tinea Versicolor too!. No idea where I got it from. Thank-fully it's just a couple of spots now on my colarbone and ribcage. It was really bad when I was living in costa rica, (hot humid climates tend to make it worse) I've used selsun blue in the past as well. Helped, but didn't clear it up for me. The only thing at cleans it up for me is pills from the dr (no idea what kind). Which reminds me that I should call and book an appoitment to get some...
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #41  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I have had tinea versicolor off & on as an adult. My Dr. has given me creams to use but oral Diflucan or Sporanox clears it up faster. My sister & brother have had it too, and I have been told that the tendency to develop it can be hereditary. You don't "catch it" from anything though.

From the America Academy of Dermatology website:

Tinea versicolor usually produces few symptoms. Slight itching may intensify when a person becomes hot.
Why some people develop tinea versicolor and others do not is not entirely clear. The yeast which causes tinea versicolor is normally present in small numbers on normal skin, and the yeast can become overgrown on anyone.

Dark- and light-skinned people are equally prone to developing tinea versicolor.
People with oily skin may be more susceptible than those with naturally dry skin.
Most commonly develops in teenagers and young adults.
Children and the elderly rarely develop this condition, except in tropical climates.
In areas with high temperatures and humidity, tinea versicolor occurs in individuals of every age, and people in tropical regions can have these spots year round.
Tinea versicolor also is more common in temperate climates during the summer when the temperature and humidity are high, with the spots generally fading during the cooler and drier months of the year.

TREATMENT OF TINEA VERSICOLOR
Each patient is treated by a dematologist according to the severity and location of the disease, the climate, and the desire of the patient. Treatments may include:

Topical (shampoos, soaps, creams, or lotions) medications that may contain selenium sulfide, ketoconazole, or pyrithione zinc
Oral medications, including ketoconazole, remembering that due to possible side effects, or interactions with other medications,the use of prescription medicines should be supervised by your dermatologist
Medicated cleansers, used once or twice a month, especially during warm, humid months of the year, may be recommended since tinea versicolor can recur
It is important to remember that the yeast is easy to kill, but it can take weeks or months for the skin to regain its normal color.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #42  

Why are American women expected to shave our armpits? French women don't. Shaving legs doesn't seem like it should be mandatory either.

And women with purses - men get pockets big enough to carry what they need and can keep it with them all the time. Why are women left holding the bag? If men want to carry something, they carry a knapsack, but if women don't have much choice. We may be able to find jackets that have big pockets if we look hard, but a lot of the time jackets for women are made with either fake pockets or pockets so small that they might hold one key, as long as it isn't on a key ring.

I claim my right to hairy pits, hairy legs, and real pockets! Men - get used to it!
/rant off
Elizabeth Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 201/201/145

Height: 5ft 6in

chickybird,
I had the same thing that you had-even in my armpits. It was awful.
After I used the cream for what seemed like forever, I had to watch that
it didn't come back. For awhile, there would be spots coming back. So
you might want to watch that. My doctor never told me not to use
deordorant-she said to keep the area dry and clean, because yeast and fungus like moisture.
good luck and you are not alone!!
davidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #44  

Thanks david's mom. Are you using deodorant now? I'm having a hard time finding one that works, but doesn't make me itch....I've tried all natural ones and they sucked
Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #45  

Okay, I just tried the dandruff shampoo as body wash thing. It seemed to have a drying effect on my skin - so that's good for the parts that needed to be dried, but not so good for the parts that didn't need to be any drier.
Elizabeth Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote