General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 281/251/165

Height: 5'6

Question School?

As I've posted in my last post, my grandpa died on Friday night. So anyways, my friend and I were talking today about how I'm incrediably sick of my low end paying job, and how I'm too young to be doing this type of thing forever, so I've decided today I'm applying for college.. I'm 25 today (07/28), and I'm not getting any younger. It's time to do something with my life instead of sitting around complaining that it's not going anywhere.

So I'm applying for the Emergency Communications program. IE: 9-1-1 dispatch, security, etc. I've ALWAYS wanted to do something like this, but always put it off. My only problem is it starts in SEPTEMBER! It's nearly AUGUST!!! And it's not like I have the $8, 000 in my back pocket, so I would need to apply for student loans! That would take a while. Am I crazy? Do I even have the time to apply for this yeaR? This course only runs every September, so if I don't get in this year, I'm gonna have to wait ANOTHER yeaR? And the other thing is the college only lets a max of 20 students into the course. Who am I kidding?

Am I wrong to be thinking of school, when my grandpa passed away? Am I crazy to think I'm gonna have enough time to submit my application plus wait to see if I get accepted, or not? And if I do get accepted, am I going to have enough time to get my student loan application in, and accepted? *sigh*
albertagirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I dont think you are crazy at all. Im not sure how student loans work where you are, but over here you can get it rushed through if you need to and if you ask nicely I dont think it is wrong to be thinking of this after a death in your family, it may be that it has given you some perspective and you realise what you want to do with your life (this has happened to me, dont want to seem presumptuous here >.<). I say go for it. You really have nothing to lose, right?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

definately go for it. Student loans don't take all that long to get and grants are almost immediate. Don't wait honey, go now and start building your future. I wish I had!
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I'm with the above posters. It's never to late to start planning for your future. Loans can likely be rushed so don't stress about that to much. I seriously regret waiting and not doing something sooner. I have my undergrad, but have always wanted to get my masters. Well now that I'm looking into various masters programs it looks like I won't be able to start school for another 2 years which means I won't be done until I'm 30....

Take the bull by the horns and just get it done. Everything will work out I'm sure of it.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #5  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertagirl11 View Post
As I've posted in my last post, my grandpa died on Friday night. So anyways, my friend and I were talking today about how I'm incrediably sick of my low end paying job, and how I'm too young to be doing this type of thing forever, so I've decided today I'm applying for college.. I'm 25 today (07/28), and I'm not getting any younger. It's time to do something with my life instead of sitting around complaining that it's not going anywhere.

So I'm applying for the Emergency Communications program. IE: 9-1-1 dispatch, security, etc. I've ALWAYS wanted to do something like this, but always put it off. My only problem is it starts in SEPTEMBER! It's nearly AUGUST!!! And it's not like I have the $8, 000 in my back pocket, so I would need to apply for student loans! That would take a while. Am I crazy? Do I even have the time to apply for this yeaR? This course only runs every September, so if I don't get in this year, I'm gonna have to wait ANOTHER yeaR? And the other thing is the college only lets a max of 20 students into the course. Who am I kidding?

Am I wrong to be thinking of school, when my grandpa passed away? Am I crazy to think I'm gonna have enough time to submit my application plus wait to see if I get accepted, or not? And if I do get accepted, am I going to have enough time to get my student loan application in, and accepted? *sigh*
This is so exciting!!! I say Go for it!!!!!!!!! September is still over a month away! And school doesn't usually start until at least the first week into September. That's plenty of time for your application to get processed and for the loans to go through Think positively and have confidence in yourself.

Have you heard of things like affirmations or visualizations? An affirmation is repeating a positive statement to yourself (something you want, for example) in the present - for ex. I succeed in my goals. I am excited about starting the program this September. etc. - google it, you will find mountains of information. They can also be verbal or written, and the most important thing is to keep them positive, in the present tense (as though what you want has already happened or is happening and coming your way right now), and repeat them. The stronger your emotion (positive emotion, not fear/worry/anxiety, etc) while you are using them, the better. I've used affirmations for situations I was worried about, like getting accepted to a school program, passing an important exam, as well as to make myself feel better during the day - I use affirmations like, I am always safe. I love myself, etc. Anyways, I am rambling - but try it! I love them, they make me feel better and I do honestly believe that they work. Think law of attraction and all of that.

Visualizations are imagining what you want as though it has already occured. So imagine how you will feel when you receive your offer of admission how you will feel when your loans come through, how you will feel being in the program, how you'll upon graduation What those experiences will be like, how your life will change, all of that wonderful stuff

I've also done things like written myself letters from admission faculties, exam committees, etc. congratulating me on my offer of admission, passing my exam, etc. It's like famous actors/actresses or celebrities writing themselves cheques for huge amounts of money before ever landing a job. Jim Carrey, for example, wrote himself a cheque for 10 million (which, at the time, was probably a lot more than it is now) before he ever landed a gig. Then, I think that's how much he got paid for one of his first movies. And he signed it something like "For acting services rendered".

lol sorry this is a bit of a ramble - I just wanted to share If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or just google some stuff. Best of luck, I'm sure you can do this!!! Go after your dreams, you'll be SOO happy that you did
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #6  

Thanks beautifulone! That's great advice. I phoned MHC (Medicine Hat College) and the best news, I got today was that they STILL have openings in the program! So I got them to mail me out an application form, and other numberous things regarding the course. So I hope I get it soon because from my understanding of previous people's post's - They've said applications can be "rushed" as well as student loan application forms! So let's hope that is the case... I really want to be in this program this year, I've thought about not going til next year, but honestly... They've got the room this year, why not try for it? Right?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #7  
Releasing the inner hiker

Absolutely go for it. In fact, loans from the federal govt (stafford) are not even accepted for the 2008-2009 school year until AFTER June 1. I currently need to fill out my paperwork for grad school that starts in Sept, so no worries.

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 07-29-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

I'm surprised that you have to pay for this training and that it's not covered by your employer.

My friend applied for a job like this and they were going to train her. Things might be different in your neck of the woods.

Also, they had a VERY long and complicated application process. So get the job applications going while you are in school. They also did a background check. A typing test. They had the applicant take a lie detector test.

She had to get her driving record from states she lived in for 7 years could have been 10.

I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway. This is a meaningful job that can be very interesting. Just start making contacts in the locales you want to work and get the application process going at LEAST 90 days in advance of needing the job.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 AM   #9  

I'm not applying for any jobs yet - Just the schooling. I can't get a job until after I've graduated the program. And my job now is only a cashier, so it's completely different then what I'm wanting to go to school for.

It doesn't surprise me that they would do that type of background checks, and such... Since you are working with the police, and all that type of stuff. It's fine by me, I've got nothing to hide. lol
Old 07-29-2008, 01:54 AM   #10  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!! THAT IS FABULOUS!!! Way to go for calling and inquiring! I'm so happy for you! I hope the paperwork arrives soon

Yay!!! Keep us posted!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

Ok #1 you are not ONLY a cashier. You are a cashier be proud of it. There are certainly better jobs and worse jobs but this is yours so own it.

You should never be embarrassed or self-conscience about whatever job you do. It feeds you or provides for you.

#2 I know you are entering a school program. I am suggesting that AT LEAST 30 days in advance of graduating maybe even sooner. I would even say 90 days before graduation is not too soon. Get the applications and start the paperwork. You can indicate when you will graduate. I think it took at least 90 days and 3 interviews and the background check and the lie detector test etc. The program may even be able to locate the places hiring and help with the process. I'm sure the measure of the program being successful is that they have graduates actually working.

Good luck. It sounds like this is an exciting change for you.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/206/150

I think it is fantastic that you are starting school, but I'm curious of what kind of classes would be offered for a E911 operator class. I have been a police officer for 23 years and don't know of a jurisdiction in our area that has a school requirement. Only the normal backround procedures, typing and then OJT.

As some one with a bachelors degree in CJ I can tell you my college did nothing to prepare me for my job. I am certainly glad I got it, but I don't need it.

Being an E911 operator is stressful work, a good excercise routine is helpful.

Good luck!

Last edited by danemom; 07-29-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: I can't spell!
danemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #13  

It's called an Emergency Communications Program...

http://www.mhc.ab.ca/program/ecr/home.html
Old 07-30-2008, 12:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 254.2/238/135

Height: 5' 4"

I say Go For It!!!! Don't do like I did and wait until your 35 to go to school. Long story on why I did, but that's for another thread... lol.

I decided about the end of June 2005 I wanted to go to school. The school I chose started in middle/end of Sept. (don't quite recall now), and it was more time than you have, but things moved along quite quickly. With a course that only excepts such a small amount, you need to act on it now if you don't want to wait until next year.

Financial Aid can be a pain in the backside, but that is what the FA staff is there for. It it's a federal loan, you will have to go to a website to fill out (your FA counselor will tell you what you need to do). Really not that bad. It didn't take as long as I thought it would to get the ball rolling. But, you need to act on it now. Waiting any longer can keep you from getting everything finished that you need for your classes to start.

Worse case I can see is if you don't make it this year, maybe that will put you on the list for next year??

Whatever you decide, good luck!!!

Kim
KimV is offline   Reply With Quote