General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #1  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Any gardeners here?

It's that time of year where I am really itching for the snow to be gone and get digging in the garden! I just started some seeds - some salvia, and some double coneflowers. The coneflowers are a hybrid, so I don't know what the seeds will bring, should be interesting.

I am also doing some black eyed susans from seed and snap dragons, although I have not started those yet. We moved last year, and my garden was full of annuals until I figured stuff out. This year the perennials are going in.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180

Height: 5FT.3

gardener here from Vermont
blkftind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #3  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I'm a beginner gardner... been trying a few things over the past couple of years.

I tried pumpkins (imagine 3 patches in a 10X10 yard LOL). I got 3 nice medium sized pumpkins, but oh my god, I had to trim at least a foot of vines each day.

Onions didn't work good in my garden

Carrots were nice as well as radishes. I did herb pots - which were wonderful because I LOVE to cook with fresh herbs. The only downside is I always had stray cats wandering into my yard to sniff, chew etc.

Tomatoes worked well a couple of years ago, but last year was compeltely HORRIBLE for tomatoes.

I planted a raspberry and blueberry bush and they turned out wonderfully last year.

This year: I'm going with Tomatoes again - this time I'm planting them directly into the ground. I'll also try bush beans and peas. More radishes and herbs. I may also try iceberg lettuce

Last edited by tamaralynn; 02-12-2008 at 06:39 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I love to garden, but we are limited by our lack of land. So this year it's what I can do in large pots. I plan on planting several baby greens, tomatoes, and perhaps a compact squash or two. I can't start my seeds for sometime though, our last frost is in late May.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I started (and have already transplanted) some ivy geraniums this year. I used to grow a lot from seed, but haven't done much lately. I've got a few other things that I should probably start off this week. Kind of makes me feel like spring is on the way....
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

this is the first year i've had a place to grow a garden. I'm planning to try some blackberries/rasberries. In another area i'm going to grow asparagus, peppers, tomatoes and either cukes or zuchinni. I've started a compost pile aready...and looking forward to the start of spring.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I do a bit of gardening (but it seems like that the majority of what I do is pull weeds). I moved into my current house two years and last summer, I started to pull everything from the front garden. The previous owner had all sorts of stuff in there and it would be best described as an "English garden" where all the plants mingle and there are all sorts of colours, etc. I myself prefer a bit of structure and I am not that much into colour. It was really terribly overgrown, and unfortunately, the things that flourished most were the most invasive ones - day lillies (the orange blooming "ditch variety") and yucca. I pulled truckloads of their rhizomes out and tried to establish some sort of Zen garden, but I did not quite finish it. I will have to tackle it again this year and I would like to have it finished ..... because it is so visible. I almost wish there was just grass as it would be easier ... but it is on a slope and I guess I should finish what I had started. I am sure I will need some advice - I will post pics comes May and the mountains of snow are gone.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #8  
Happily Married

S/C/G: 194/177/145

I'm so ready for spring to brighten up our new house with floweres out front right now i have baskets that attach to the railing on the front porch that have pansies in them and they are gorgeous!
Skinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote