General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Question Do you work at home?

I've seen a lot of people here say that they work at home, so I was wondering:

1. what is it that you do, exactly?

and

2. how long did it take you to become successful?

I only ask because A) I am curious and B) I'd LOVE to not have to "go to work" but rather have my work right in my living room, bedroom, personal office, kitchen, or even bathroom if that's what I wanted For a little while, I had my own web design business. I operated it successfully for around six months and then unsuccessfully for six more. I have always seen these "work at home" ads, but realize they are most likely multi-level marketing, scams, and/or both.

So, any input would be cool!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

I pretty much don't anymore, but I did some freelance editing from home for awhile. Honestly, it's not as much fun as you'd think. I'm a real homebody but the isolation even started to drive ME nuts. (I was also staying home with two kids in diapers, so that might have had something to do with it).

Yesterday I stayed home from my 'real' job, we had our daycare provider come, and I worked on a freelance editing job. So, it was ideal in terms of having the concentration necessary, and I still just couldn't focus. I'm actually mostly glad that I go to an office everyday.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I work at home, I do upholstery work on furniture, cars, boats,then I do window treatments such as drapes, romans,valances,swags,cornices,etc... I actually work in my MIL's basement,that's where my machines are,because we don't have a basement,hopefully gonna change that in the future though and build another house"with a basement this time!!" I've actually looked at those "work at home things" when they sound awesome enough that you would wonder "why doesn't everybody do this,it sounds like a dream come true",than it's to good to be true.. believe me, been there done that..but there's also legit jobs too, my neighbors son works at home, has meetings via internet,which sounds pretty cool,I think it has something to do with software for computers,because he travels everywhere,but he does work from home alot too. You might want to checkinto something like that,He lives here in Kentucky and the company he works for is based out of Dallas,I'm pretty sure,because that's where he moved here from.
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #4  

I work from home, have for the past 8 years since I had my son. I'm a medical transcriptionist. I started out subcontracting to a service and now work directly with a few local doctors. I'm married, so not a big issue -- but remember too -- no health insurance, no retirement (unless you put it away), no vacation -- all time off is without pay. I will be going to work at the kid's school this fall, but will keep my business because I do like what I do. If you are good at sticking to the task, it will work -- I do have days I just can't seem to make myself sit and work so I end up staying up way too late!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Nightengaleshane

I have worked at home as a customer service rep. I am starting my fourth year with this company. It is legitimate. I am NOT an independent contractor. I am an employee. I have some limited benefits. I do get annual raises. I turned our second bedroom into a home office. I have the flexibility to choose my own hours and my employer is good about allowing us to take time off if we need it.

If you would like more information you can PM me.

I am not getting rich doing this but I am able to do more of the things that interest me. I used to commute for almost two decades via the public transporation system. I love the commute that I have now.

The so-called isolation doesn't bother me. I still IM a friend once a week, post here, do my painting projects that seem neverending, exercise, and do all the other things I used to do when I went to some other site to work. The only difference is that I am not outdoors in the rain, heat, etc. waiting for a bus.

Last edited by pamatga; 02-07-2008 at 03:22 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I really wish more companies would be more flexible about telecommuting. For my current job, I come into the ofice every day for 8 hours, but all of my work is done on my computer (company laptop). When I get really busy, I do need to be in the office, but I'd say I could easily do 80% of my job from home. Recent studies on the topic have shown that most telecommuters are actually MORE productive than those going to the office. I know I would be--after all, you have to keep producing to prove to your boss that you really ARE working when you're home! Plus, no office gossip/drama, no going out to lunch with coworkers, no typical office goofing off, etc.

Amy, what kind of editing did you do? Do you have any suggestions of sites for me to check out freelance editing positions? I've been a technical writer/editor for a few years and have done a little editing from home for one company, but that particular opportunity ended up not paying enough to really be worth the time I was spending on it even just part time.

I would LOVE the opportunity to work from home--to be able to raise my own children (when the time comes) rather than paying for full-time daycare. Unfortunately, I don't think many work-from-home jobs would pay what's required to really survive in my area, and I'm the main "breadwinner" in our house. I would love to start my own business, but I wouldn't even know what kind of business I could do. I currently write government proposals, but I don't have enough years of experience to be able to it freelance, and I don't have enough experience with different programs to do freelance graphic design, either. I AM a spelling/grammar guru and a Microsoft Word superuser, though, if anyone has any documents that need editing or formatting
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

My user id should tell you what I do.

Yes I work from home, most of the time (when I'm not on a shoot or meeting clients).

It sounds good from the outside, like a lot of fun and a lot of flexibility, and I will admit that I love my job and I love the flexibility that I have, but it's not all fun and games. As a business owner, I probably put in 70 hours a week of work - there are nights that I'm up until 3 or later to meet a deadline. The work I do alternates between extremely active to the point of being physcially exhausting (the actual shooting), to hours of sitting in front of a computer (editing, processing, doing bookwork, marketing, dealing with clients, etc.).

When you work from home it's easy to procrastinate, to do laundry instead of the boring part of the job you need to complete, to wander down to the fridge and snack (yea, a big part of my problem) instead of concentrate on work, etc.

Also, there's limited social interaction (although more now with message boards like these and IM and so forth), no benefits except those you pay for yourself (my insurance runs me $480 a month just for me), no sick days, no paid vacation, no one to hand a problem over to and say "you're the boss, you handle it".

Also as far as the kids thing goes: I have a lot of friends who are in my same profession who thought they'd keep their kids at home while they worked. None of them could do it ultimately. They wound up either having to cut back to part time work, or to hire a nanny or find a good day care for at least part of the week. They all (and this is 6 women, at last count) said that they could NOT work at home and keep their kids at home w/out some kind of outside help.

As I said I love what I do, but it's not really the life a lot of people think it will be when they think of working from home and getting to hang out in their PJs while they conference call ...

Last edited by PhotoChick; 02-07-2008 at 03:34 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am a full-time telecommuter. I work in a standard sort of job, but from home. Most of the employees who do my job work in office, but I am in Northern CA and the company is in Southern CA, so there would be no way for me to be in office.

I am full-time, salaried, with benefits, not an independent contractor. You just have to find a company willing to work with you. I have a home office in my apartment and set hours. I will say that I get a ton more done than when I am in the office...very few distractions here, as compared to working in an office.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I work for a large company that actually has a lot of well paid full time telecommuters. I've worked for this company about 10 years and at certain times I've had a work at home schedule (work at home 3 days per week, office 2). My current manager isn't so hot on the idea but I do work at home occasionally. My husband is in the same position where he can work at home if he wants (and could probably work at home full time if he wanted) but only does it occasionally.

We both work in Information Technology/Information Security.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #10  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

My sister is a graphic designer that works for a large insurance company that lets her work part-time at home; since most of her work is on the computer she can do her projects at home and then emails them to work. She does have to go into the office sometimes to some of the work. She also worked for a publishing company as well and did the same thing. She is a regular employee with all benefits and a very good salary.

A friend of mine works as a COURT TRANSCRIPTIONIST; she gets to travel all over to different towns in our region (the gov pays for it) and she does most of the work at home, but does go in to the office as needed. She thought it would take her two years to finish training, but she was so good that it only took her a matter of months and she loves it. You do have to discipline yourself and find a quiet room to do your work.

I also know people that made high-end wooden products at home; then sold them in stores and on consignment, but this was just a part-time thing for extra pin money. I see many people here making jewelry and rugs and such, and selling them at our farmer's markets and trade shows. Sometimes part-time hobbies can turn into money; and many people start out part-time before they end up full-time (IYKWIM). Check out your local library for ideas too.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I've always thought I would like to work from home, and now that I'm pregnant the idea really appeals to me. I've considered medical transcription, but have never had the time or money to take a class and get started. I'm a high school English teacher, and I usually love my job, but it's been getting extremely frustrating lately. Also, I know it will be tough to do when I have a baby at home. Any kind of work is tough with a baby at home, I know, but this job entails so much outside work if you're going to do it well.

Amy8888: How did you get into freelance editing? I've always thought it would be something I could do, but I haven't the slightest idea as to how to break into it. I looked into editing jobs when I was much younger, and they always wanted someone with experience but never helped you figure out how to get that experience.

Last edited by LisaMarie71; 02-07-2008 at 04:56 PM.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I am completely self-employed and have been for 18 years. I have two businesses--one is as a textbook editor, that's my main line of work. The other is a seasonal business as a tax practitioner.

Being self-employed is not for the faint of heart, because as you have discovered, NShane, "no work" can mean disaster. I've had plenty of times when work didn't come through and I was up the creek. Also, no benefits! So for years I didn't have health insurance . I do have it now. And obviously, there is no sick pay, no paid vacation, etc. And, you really do have to have a backup fund in savings. A sizable fund. Or a partner/spouse who can help keep the wolf from the door.

I managed to "get by" for a number of years, but I didn't become really successful, in my own terms, until about 5 years ago, when I happened to be watching Suze Orman. One of her callers sounded exactly like me--self employed, income about the same, age about the same... and when Suze started to talk to her, the first thing she said was, "My dear, why are you not making twice that much?" Well, a light went on for me. I realized that for a long time I had been focusing too much on "getting by" instead of putting everything I had into my line of work. In the next year I made three times what I had the year before.

It's nice working in my own home office, wearing whatever I please, working my own hours, and so on. But there are also times when I miss being able to interact with people in person, get out of the house, and have a work group. Still, I like my work and what I do. I don't think I'd want to be an employee again--although it depends on what I was offered!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #13  
No description available.

My job kinda requires me to get up close and personal, so I'm not much help, but I have done some writing. It takes a lot of discipline for me to produce when I am at home. Sometimes I am more disciplined than others.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #14  

For those of you who work at home, do you think it would be a hard adjustment to work outside the home again? I'm getting nervous - I've worked at home now for almost 9 years and when my 4 year old starts school this fall, I'm going to work as a teacher's aide at the school. I just feel like I don't have the patience anymore for the childish bickering/gossiping, etc. that goes on in the work enviroment. I'm not interested in being buddies with everyone I work with, I have a life already. I'm sure I'll be fine and will "play well with others"
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would also like to say that even though I work at home occasionally, I actually hate doing it. I like being in an office and interacting with others and getting out of the house. I like that I get to be with my babies (2 cats, 1 dog) but if I do it 2 days straight, I start to go batty.

So even though it sounds like a nice idea, I don't think it is for everyone.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote