General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I don't know why some feel that Christmas is under attack. Christmas is alive and well for everyone who celebrates it. More inclusive language, to be respectful to people of other faiths and backgrounds, in no way tears at the foundation of Christianity. I don't get the arguments about this.

If I know the person celebrates Christmas, I'll say Merry Christmas. If I know they celebrate another holiday, I'll offer good wishes for their specific holiday. If I don't know, I'll say Happy Holidays.

I only wish the same courtesy was extended as consistently back to me. Some people set out to make a point at this time of year, and their Merry Christmases are not as innocent as they would have you believe. It used to get under my skin, being a non-Christian and the recipient of these pointed and not innocent holiday wishes, but I've let it go. Now I purposely choose to take their wishes at face value, and bask in the good cheer. Even if they didn't really mean it. I wish the same peace to everyone else during this holiday season.

Last edited by BattleAx; 12-21-2007 at 04:57 PM.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #32  
Mel

Boxing day is derived from the old custom in England of the gentry putting out a box of food and clothing on the day after Christmas for the workers on their estates. It's really only a holiday in England, Australia and Canada, but I've seen "Boxing Day Sales" beginning to be advertised here.

When I first moved to Canada, I thought it meant the day that everyone threw out their gift boxes

I also am happy to have anyone wish me a Merry or Happy anything!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #33  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAx View Post
I only wish the same courtesy was extended as consistently back to me. Some people set out to make a point at this time of year, and their Merry Christmases are not as innocent as they would have you believe. It used to get under my skin, being a non-Christian and the recipient of these pointed and not innocent holiday wishes, but I've let it go. Now I purposely choose to take their wishes at face value, and bask in the good cheer. Even if they didn't really mean it. I wish the same peace to everyone else during this holiday season.
I could not agree more. I could care less about the Christmas tree lighting, I don't care that there is no menora lighting, frankly I am happy to have my holiday quietly with my family and friends and have it not be a huge finacial fiasco.

That said i do tip certain people at Christmas time, because it is not my holiday does not mean it is not theirs. I do give to the food drives and salvation army kettle ringers, But I also give other times of the year too, it is not about CHRISTmas to be but about humanity and kindness to others which is what the holiday season should be about.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #34  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Boxing day is derived from the old custom in England of the gentry putting out a box of food and clothing on the day after Christmas for the workers on their estates. It's really only a holiday in England, Australia and Canada, but I've seen "Boxing Day Sales" beginning to be advertised here.

When I first moved to Canada, I thought it meant the day that everyone threw out their gift boxes
Mel
LOL - I thought the same thing. I had never heard of boxing day until we went to Toronto for our honeymoon (over Christmas vacation). We found only one restaurant open on Boxing Day (several had been open and serving a nice dinner for Christmas day, however). We were totally mystified as to what Boxing Day was all about. I had to look it up when we got home.

Last edited by CountingDown; 12-21-2007 at 08:30 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote