General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default What to do with leftover turkey and/or chicken - need ideas

I'm tired of just making a soup with it. We had a turkey breast the other evening. boobalah roasted a chicken on Sunday evening. I'd like to take one of these, or combine them if there isn't enough turkey, and do something. I'm tired of enchiladas. Besides, now that he is using Fit Day, he sees how much damage he was doing to my eating plan. I'm not in the mood to make won ton out of them. I guess I could make Chinese chicken (turkey) salad. We've had that recently, too. He doesn't care for the type of chicken salad that you put into sandwiches.

Any suggestions? Oh, I can't have nuts, seeds or corn.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #2  

fajitas ..... use a bit of pan to fry up some peppers and onion, use reduced fat sharp cheddar and salsa. YUM.
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, I have a lovely recipe for Turkey Tetrazzini, but I won't post it here--it is sooooo full of fat and calories! I try to lower the fat with different substitutions, but I still haven't had enough success to call it a meal worthy of posting on a diet website!!!

The recipe I posted on Gary's thread for recipes--spinach mostacholi--would be good with a couple cups of cut up or shredded turkey in it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

I printed that one out anyway. It think you are right. I'll just have to get some spinach. We like it fresh so I think I'll have to steam it just a bit.

Thanks!

Oh and we grate our own parme. We don't like the preshredded stuff so I'll be able to control some of that as well.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #5  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Tetrazzini, yes! Almost makes me wish I didn't quit eating meat! But before I quit, I made this one several times and it is delicious. Note that this makes 2 casseroles. So I always halved it.
From Cooking Light:

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
Cooking spray
1 cup finely chopped onion
2/3 cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms
1/2 cup dry sherry
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 (14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 1/4 cups (9 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
7 cups hot cooked vermicelli (about 1 pound uncooked pasta)
4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 (1-ounce) slice white bread

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
Melt butter in large stockpot coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, pepper, salt, and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add sherry; cook 1 minute.

Lightly spoon flour into a measuring cup; level with a knife. Gradually add flour to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly (mixture will be thick) with a whisk. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

Add 1 3/4 cups Parmesan cheese and cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until cream cheese melts. Add the pasta and chicken, and stir until blended. Divide the pasta mixture between 2 (8-inch-square) baking dishes coated with cooking spray.

Place bread in food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form. Combine breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove casserole from oven; let stand 15 minutes.

To freeze unbaked casserole: Prepare through Step 5. Cool completely in refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.

To prepare frozen unbaked casserole: Thaw casserole completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 350º. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover casserole with reserved foil; bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 1 hour or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes.

Yield
2 casseroles, 6 servings each (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 380(29% from fat); FAT 12.2g (sat 6.6g,mono 3.4g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 33g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 319mg; SODIUM 964mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 2.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 32.7g
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

That one is printed out as well. Thanks! I'm not a big pasta fan but he is so I'll be able to fix less pasta with both the dishes mentioned here.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #7  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
That one is printed out as well. Thanks! I'm not a big pasta fan but he is so I'll be able to fix less pasta with both the dishes mentioned here.
I wonder how it would be using spaghetti squash instead of pasta??
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
I wonder how it would be using spaghetti squash instead of pasta??
Other than eggplant, that's probably the only other squash that I don't like.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

I've never made anything but sandwiches, soup, and chicken salad with the leftovers. I'm not very creative
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Oh, I have a lovely recipe for Turkey Tetrazzini, but I won't post it here--it is sooooo full of fat and calories! I try to lower the fat with different substitutions, but I still haven't had enough success to call it a meal worthy of posting on a diet website!!!

The recipe I posted on Gary's thread for recipes--spinach mostacholi--would be good with a couple cups of cut up or shredded turkey in it.
OK. I printed out the recipe. What is a "vertically sliced onion"? Do you need wider onion slices?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #11  
hara hachi bu

I'd shred it up and put it on a quesadilla.

I'd also spice it up and use it on a taco-like salad - romaine, onions, cilantro, tomatoes, f-f cheese or sour cream, avocado, peppers, etc.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #12  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I use leftover chicken and turkey in Asian-inspired meals. My recent "thing" has been Napa cabbage with chicken and cashews. Saute some onion and garlic in a dash of sesame oil, add leftover chicken and cook until heated through. Add half a julienned red pepper (for color) and half a head of Napa cabbage or bok choy. Let the veggies cook for just a couple of minutes, then throw in a handful of cashews and a bit of cilantro if you have it on hand. Voila! A light and nutritious main dish.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/193/135

Height: 5'4"

Default how about a stirfry?

That Tetrazzini sounds great, I'm defintely going to try that!
Time for a change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
OK. I printed out the recipe. What is a "vertically sliced onion"? Do you need wider onion slices?
I have no idea what they mean. Perhaps they want them in longer pieces rather than chopped into little bits. I usually cut a regular slice about 1/8 wide and then cut that slice into quarters and then break up all the pieces. Does that make sense?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/193/135

Height: 5'4"

Default I would imagine that vertically sliced

means up & down from the root end to the top as opposed to horizontally in rings
Time for a change is offline   Reply With Quote