General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default Recipe with Basil

I don't know why, but when I planted my rosemary plant this summer, I thought I should have some basil in my garden too. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with it and it looks so lush and delish in my garden, I'm dying to try it in something. Anyone got any good recipes that requires basil? Easy recipes?

Thanks...
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Pesto...you might wanna cut back on the oil used...

I like basil on a thin slice of french bread, fresh tomato slices, a tiny bit of chopped garlic, lowfat mozarella and a fresh basil leaf or two. I toss it all in the toaster oven until the cheese melts.

Thai recipes use a lot of basil as well.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #3  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I saw this great recipe on the food network. I have made it twice and it's delicious. I didn't add any salt though (it says to add 3 tsp salt to the dish) - I only used salt in the pasta's cooking water.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search

Last edited by Spinymouse; 08-16-2007 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add comment about added salt
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm looking for basil recipes, too. Found this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._32830,00.html
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hi Kris- Angie here --Gary's wife

This is one of Gary's favorite meals: BACON TOMATO BASIL PASTA

I usually cook about 8 pieces of bacon (turkey for less fat)
dice around 4 med.-sized roma tomatoes
chop one med. to lg. onion
shred/chop basil (I eye-ball it, but because I LOVE basil, I use lots)
2 to 3 (or more ) cloves garlic chopped

Saute onion in olive oil until almost clear, add garlic and saute more
Add tomatoes and basil and stir until tomatoes are soft
Add bacon

Pour this mixture over cooked pasta, usually fettucini. I usually add more olive oil to the pasta so it won't be so dry.

Last edited by EZMONEY; 08-16-2007 at 08:05 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #6  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

Basil in a nice risotto is lovely! Use fat free yoghurt instead of butter and some low fat rice. I usually make king prawn risotto
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Hi Kris- Angie here --Gary's wife

This is one of Gary's favorite meals: BACON TOMATO BASIL PASTA

I usually add more olive oil to the pasta so it won't be so dry.
This is GARY! I add more bacon! When she isn't looking ...if I can.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love leaves of basil added to sandwiches. It's also great added to stir fry, soups/chowders, pasta, salads, and omelets/scrambled eggs. I usually stir it in during the last minute of cooking (depending on what I am making, I sometimes cut it in large pieces first). You can also use fresh basil in any recipe that calls for dried basil, just add it at the end of the cooking instead of early on.

Here are a couple of recipes for you:

Basil Pesto
This is a low calorie version of pesto.
  • 2 tbsp pinenuts
  • 2 large garlic cloves
  • 2 3/4 cups basil leaves (packed tightly)
  • 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin is best)

Throw everything except the olive oil in your food processor. Process until everything is finely minced. With processor on, add oil through the food chute in a slow stream until well blended.

This makes 1 cup of pesto. A serving is 1 tbsp and has about 35 calories. You can eat it over pasta, spread it on sandwiches, eat it in omelets, or stir it into soup. I've even made potato salad with it. If you aren't able to use it all right away, you can freeze it. I wrap 1 tbsp at a time in saran wrap, then throw all the little bundles in a freezer bag; that way I can defrost however much I want at a time.

BTW, the easiest way to wash the basil for this recipe is to tear all the leaves off the stems, through them in a big mixing bowl filled with water, swish them around for a few minutes, then run them through a salad spinner.

Tuscan Tuna Salad
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fennel bulb
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 oz roasted red pepper (from a jar)
  • 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
  • 2 tbsp capers
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsp dijon mustard
  • 2 pouches BumbleBee meskite grilled tuna (or two cans tuna)

Mix everything together and serve on your favorite sandwich bread. This makes enough for 4 sandwiches. Each serving is about 100 calories (not including the bread).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:09 AM   #9  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

I like to arrange sliced tomatoes, slices of fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves on a platter. Then drizzle on a teeny bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, then sprinkle with a little pepper and salt. I like to let it sit for a while before I eat it. More tomatoes + less mozza = fewer calories, obviously.
mariposita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 AM   #10  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

You can also dry it, crush and store for use in many (especially tomato based) recipes. Bunch it loosely, tie with some twine around the stems and hang in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. You can wrap it in cheesecloth or hang a small brown paper lunch bag over it to keep dust away. When it's dry, just crumble or crush with mortar and pestle an store in a jar.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #11  

Thank you so much for all your great ideas. I made a pesto sauce tonight for the first time and it was a big hit. My recipe is like this (wung it, of course):

1 cup basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
juice and zest of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

(you may see the absence of pine nuts. I live in a dinky little fishing village and if I asked if they have pine nuts at the grocery store, they'd likely point me in the direction of the beer and worms and minnows...we're lucky they sell fresh produce like lettuce)

Anyhow...I skipped the pine nuts and put in my little processor everything but the oil and parmesan cheese. When it was all blended, I added the oil, then added the cheese. I tossed it on cooked WW spaghetti and then drizzled a little more olive oil on the pasta because it seemed a bit dry. I may use a half cup of olive oil next time. Anyhow...it was good and I used the leftover sauce to brush on my chicken on the grill. Thanks, whoever suggested it....I think Gina.

Next I'll try Angie's tomato/bacon/basil thing. That sounds great. And, Angie...you have all of our utmost respect being married to Gary. All I can picture is the book about marriage by Steve Deucy and his wife, you two. the Happy Marriage Handbook or something like that. Anyhow...you guys are a great couple.

Any more ideas, feel free to post them!!

Kris
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #12  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

These sound great. I also have an abundance of basil and I don't really know what to do with it. Gary/Angie - can you give me an idea of how much basil to start with? I've discovered that I'm not particularly good at guessing how much basil to use. Seems like I always put too much.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
Gary/Angie - can you give me an idea of how much basil to start with? I've discovered that I'm not particularly good at guessing how much basil to use. Seems like I always put too much.
To me, there is no such thing as too much basil..... or garlic.
Start off a small bunch, the kind you can buy in the small plastic container at the store. You can always add more later.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife View Post
And, Angie...you have all of our utmost respect being married to Gary. All I can picture is the book about marriage by Steve Deucy and his wife, you two. the Happy Marriage Handbook or something like that. Anyhow...you guys are a great couple.
Kris
Thank you for your kind words. I have never heard of Steve Deucy or his wife. And if the Happy Marriage Handbook can be found in the comic section of the bookstore....well then, you pretty much have our marriage!!
Angie
Old 08-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Thank you for your kind words. I have never heard of Steve Deucy or his wife. And if the Happy Marriage Handbook can be found in the comic section of the bookstore....well then, you pretty much have our marriage!!
Angie
Well, it might be Doocy, but Steve is on Fox and Friends in the mornings on Foxnews. His book is really funny with 'corrections' by his wife in various places throught the book. Funny.