3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion - Spoilers!!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/118567-harry-potter-deathly-hallows-discussion-spoilers.html)

jtammy 07-22-2007 05:31 PM

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion - Spoilers!!!!

Warning - If you haven't finished reading Harry Potters and the Deathly Hallows - Do not scroll down!!! There may be details that you haven't read that will spoil the book for you......

See question below.

jtammy 07-22-2007 05:41 PM

What did you all think of the new book? I enjoyed reading more about Dumbledore. I wasn't really expecting to get much that much backstory about him. It was a huge relief that Harry Ron and Hermoine all survived. I felt like Snape was a good guy all along, so I wasn't surprised that he was.

I was glad to see Ron and Hermoine branch out on their own when they found the basilisk. In previous books, Ron has been so non-confrontational that I wondered if that also meant that he would be brave enough to assist in the quest.

One thing I didn't really understand is how Neville ended up with the Gryffindor sword during the battle of Hogwarts. I thought we last saw it with Griphook. How did Neville get it?

denialisnthappiness 07-22-2007 06:23 PM

I can only assume that somehow bellatrix or the malfoys got the sword back from griphook?

Overall fab book. I'm glad that each of the three 'got a go' at destroying a horcrux. As said before - disappointed that it was so cliche in that harry and ginny got together and hermione and ron got together.

Still slightly confused over the whole wand thing and when it does/doesn't become the new owners rightfully - think I'm going to have to re-read!

lizziness 07-22-2007 06:30 PM

I just finished - I read with nothing but short breaks to sleep and eat. I think it was definitely the best of all the books.

Someone in the other thread said they thought the epilogue was a bit cliche and I agree with that statement... but I do think it was a nice way to end up the series.

I felt that I was missing out on a reunion scene between Harry and Ginny.

I am wondering if Neville got the sword from the Room of Requirement? They mentioned that he had become a master of it... and also it did come to Harry in his time of need. She could have let us know that bit though...

lizziness 07-22-2007 06:37 PM

and now that I am finally finished - I realize that I am in desperate need of a shower!!

Can't wait to hear from more people as they finish up the book.

jtammy 07-22-2007 06:57 PM

The epilogue may have been cliched, but I'm still glad it was written in. I wanted to know that they were happy and safe.

The whole elder wand - who was the master - was confusing to me also. I think that Draco became the master of it when he disarmed Dumbledore right before Dumbledore was killed. Although Draco never picked it up or used it, he became the master. Voldemort stole it out of Dumblebore's grave, and he erroneously assumed that Snape was the master of it since Snape had killed Dumbledore. Harry disarmed Draco later, but Draco wasn't using that wand, so I'm not sure how Harry became the master of it (or was he, I'm fuzzy on that part).

Snapes memories were so heartbreaking. I really had a lot of sympathy for his character during that chapter. On the one hand, I wish Harry would have known about Snape's protection and his love for his mother while Snape was still alive. On the other hand, it makes it more poignant that he didn't know until it was too late.

On the sword, yes, he may have gotten it from the Room of Requirement. I had forgotten that comment about Neville being the master of it.

Lizziness, go take a shower. :)

jaxnlula 07-22-2007 07:22 PM

I think that the sword just came from the hat. Dumbledore had told Harry that it comes only to a true Griffindor in time of need or something in Book 2, right?

I had to really think and re-read to understand the line of thinking about he master of the wand. - But I think Tammy has it right on.

Wasn't it soo good?

:)

As for the Epilogue, I wanted to know what Harry did for a living !!

browneyedgirl77 07-22-2007 07:26 PM

I just finished it. It seems that a lot of people were right about the horcrux theory and Harry holding a part of Voldemort's soul.

I was also one of the believers in Snape. So to me that wasn't much of a surprise.

I also wonder how Neville got the sword. I mean it had to be the real one to get rid of the horcrux but how did he get it.

I thought that the book was a real heart string puller. I could not believe that she killed Hedwig. I actually thought out loud "that b#$%^ killed Hedwig." My DH looked at me like I was crazy. I know that JK said there would be a bloodbath but I never expected her to kill hedwig and no I don't think she is really a b-word but it totally took me by surprise. So many died it was so sad.

Overall, I'm still absorbing the whole book. I was surprised though that she left the series so open. I mean one of JK's biggest things wasn't leaving the story open so someone could continue it. The epilogue makes it totally possible to continue.

jtammy 07-22-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxnlula (Post 1785866)
I think that the sword just came from the hat. Dumbledore had told Harry that it comes only to a true Griffindor in time of need or something in Book 2, right?

As for the Epilogue, I wanted to know what Harry did for a living !!

Yes, that's true, it came to Harry while he was in the chamber of secrets, didn't it.

I also wanted to know what Harry did for a living. Did he become an Auror or not? That's what I envisioned him doing. And what about Hermoine? She is so darn smart, I wanted to know what she did also.

jtammy 07-22-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browneyedgirl77 (Post 1785869)
Overall, I'm still absorbing the whole book. I was surprised though that she left the series so open. I mean one of JK's biggest things wasn't leaving the story open so someone could continue it. The epilogue makes it totally possible to continue.

I thought so too. Over and over I heard that she wanted to leave it so that no one could continue it, but it seemed to be left open to me.

Also, we just saw the OOTP movie last week. Did I miss it or did it show Snape's Worst Memory where Snape called Lily a Mudblood?

browneyedgirl77 07-22-2007 07:36 PM

I never thought of that. I think I was so excited that I read over it too quickly but it does say that he pulls it out of the depths of the hat. Boy, do I feel silly.

browneyedgirl77 07-22-2007 07:39 PM

The movie only showed the part with James, it doesn't show the part where Lily came to his defense.

lizziness 07-22-2007 08:50 PM

Yay - I am clean now. :D

I must have missed him pull the sword from the hat too. oops.

I agree it feels like it's still open to a lot of things. But the story of Harry vs. Voldemort feels very much closed to me. The epilogue was a bit cliche feeling but it was needed and it was done well. I just want to know more about Harry's life with Ginny... or what happened to Luna, George, and some of the other characters.

Kim_Star060404 07-22-2007 08:54 PM

I was enthralled from the beginning. I was also shocked that Hedwig died. I do wonder what the trio "are" doing for a living. I also think that Harry would've made a good Auror, but I wonder if the Ministry would see a need to reinstate that department with Voldemort and the Death Eaters gone. I mean, there would always probably be a threat of evil, but such a small one that Aurors were in the same tier as Arthur Weasley as far as Ministry importance goes. Then again, maybe the Ministry bestowed the three with millions of galleons for their services to the wizarding community and they all lived as millionaires until their deaths. :shrug:

I have to admit that I loved the fact that the epilogue was so cliche. It turned out how I really wanted it to with lots of Potter and Weasley mini wizards running around in a world of happiness. I like the cheesiness! :D

When I read the ending the first time (I read the last couple of chapters twice because there were so many twists and turns), I missed that Neville killed Nagini, so I thought the ending left that Horcrux "alive". I had to re-read it to realize Neville took care of it.

I was glad that Snape was good, but feel that his actions were mostly done begrudgingly and I didn't like that attitude. But, I guess it couldn't have been easy for him to agree to help and that would have made the story much less riveting!

jtammy 07-22-2007 08:56 PM

Mentioning Luna reminded me of how much I loved reading the part about how her room was decorated. With the paintings of her new found friends and the word f-r-i-e-n-d around the room. Very cute! I found her character to be so charming.

tanyaf 07-22-2007 10:05 PM

I thought Harry was the master of the elder wand because he was the direct descendant of the person who originally owned it. It didn't work for other wizards because they weren't its master, only the heir of an original owner could be its master. The idea that the master had to kill the previous owner to become its new master was just a myth.

Or did I misread that?

harrypotterybarn 07-22-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtammy (Post 1785971)
Mentioning Luna reminded me of how much I loved reading the part about how her room was decorated. With the paintings of her new found friends and the word f-r-i-e-n-d around the room. Very cute! I found her character to be so charming.

I'm not really what one would call an overly sentimental kind of person, but I was weeping through those passages. I'm still getting teary-eyed just thinking about it.

I mean, how much friends must have meant to her.....*sob*

sockmonkey70 07-22-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrypotterybarn (Post 1786052)
I'm not really what one would call an overly sentimental kind of person, but I was weeping through those passages. I'm still getting teary-eyed just thinking about it.

I mean, how much friends must have meant to her.....*sob*

I cried about that too.

I really didn't like the epilogue. It felt a little rushed to me, and didn't really give us any information besides things we would have guesed anyway (harry and ginny marry, ron and hermione marry...)

I was touched that Harry named one of his sons Albus Severus...In those final chapters after Snape's true nature was revealed, Harry didn't give much thought (or JK didn't write about it) to Snape..he went straight into thinking about Dumbledore and never really touched on Snape til the final battle. Snape's memories had me crying harder than anything..I could just feel his anguish and frustration..Heartbreaking!

Overall I think I really liked the book. I need to read it again to make sure though LOL.

jtammy 07-22-2007 10:31 PM

I found both Neville and Luna very touching because these were not the "cool kids". These were kids that were fairly unpopular and were apt to be teased. Remember how they were the first DA members to show up at the Battle of Hogwarts because they checked their coins so frequently, hoping they would meet again.

Tanyaf, I'm not exactly sure about that. Harry was a direct descendant of the cloak's original owner, not the wand's original owner, although the cloak owner and wand owner were brothers, so maybe it didn't matter. I was and still am a little fuzzy over what control Harry had of the wand.

Kim, Snape was such a complicated character. Regardless of what he did for Harry in the end, he was quite nasty to him many times during his first six years at Hogwarts. And to Hermoine as well. I have wondered if the reason he acted like that was to keep the Slytherins from suspecting that he was actually Dumbledore's man, since the Gryffindors and Slytherins always seemed to have Potions together. That was never addressed in the book though, so that probably has nothing to do with it. Actually, I suppose we are told from Snape's memories that Harry reminded Snape of James so much that it influenced his opinion of him.

Sockmonkey, I was also wanting some type of acknowledgment from Harry about Snape in the ending. I wanted more than we got. Snape was an incredibly brave man in the end and while I appreciated Harry naming his son Albus Severus, I guess I was wanting some kind of proclamation after the battle at Hogwarts.

sockmonkey70 07-22-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtammy (Post 1786073)
Sockmonkey, I was also wanting some type of acknowledgment from Harry about Snape in the ending. I wanted more than we got. Snape was an incredibly brave man in the end and while I appreciated Harry naming his son Albus Severus, I guess I was wanting some kind of proclamation after the battle at Hogwarts.

Yep..I was hoping maybe we would get to see Snape once more the way Harry saw his parents and Dumbledore..but nope...

After reading Snape's memories, and thinking back to Snape asking Harry to "Look at me" in his dying breath...Just so he could see Lily's eyes one last time... **sssoooooobbbbbbbb** I think Snape is probably the most interesting character in the book for me, because he is just so tragic. Unlike with Harry, all Snape's good deeds and loyalty through immense turmoil would never bring him happiness or peace..Harry gets to atleast experience happiness and companionship. Snape is so alone...

Casandra 07-23-2007 06:26 AM

Why 19 years later? We never knew if Harry really stepped up and took his godfather duties to Teddy, although I'm sure he would've had quite a time getting the baby off Tonk's mum.

I dont like how she just left it to the imagination. Why did we get to see anything more about what they all grew up to be? We got to find out that Neville Longbottom is teaching at Hogwarts but we dont know what, I dont recall anything about "herbology professor" being said. Maybe he teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts? who knows?!

That's what really got me sad. I wanted to have more than just "and they lived happily every after" at the end. There really isnt closure for the readers. She did say that she would never quash the possibility that she might revisit the world of Harry Potter in the future, but I was expecting a bit more out of the ending of the series I grew up with.

I'm overall very pleased with the book itself, I've read it 3 times over so far, and my sister in the USA complained that I'd read the book before she was even able to get her hands on it! lol

I didnt really burst out crying when Hedwig, Dobby, Tonks, Remus, Snape, or Fred died, but I did get a glisten and a clenching in my throat when Fred, Tonks and Remus died.

After George was injured, I figured that he wouldnt be one to die, because he's already been involved in a tragedy of sorts. I wasnt expecting Hedwig or Dobby to die, and I noticed a lady sat outside the bookstore reading the book as I left, she was sobbing so hard at the beginning of the book, I knew something bad was coming. Hedwig was Harry's first real connection to the magical world. Kept him in touch when he was unable to leave the cupboard under the stairs or his bedroom. Ah, me.

I got my hands on one of those "copies" of the book that everyone was so worried about possibly having been leaked, and it turns out that the actual book (as far as I'm aware, and I've done extensive searching) was never released online prior to actually being available for sale in the bookstores.

That was a big relief on my part, because I hate when people spoil things. Well, the best attempt at trying to be passed off as the actual book, was a cleverly written fan fiction. Very clever, I must say, but a bit too unlike JKR's writing style.

The instant I saw the phrase "felt his anatomy respond" I dismissed this as being the actual thing. JKR meant to keep this a children's story, and that's what she did. I cannot wait to pass this series onto my children (if/when I have any)!! ^-^

crazynette826 07-23-2007 07:05 AM

Overall I liked the book, but I need to reread it again. I'm missing a few things, or they just didn't sink in yet. For example, I don't understand about the Elder wand either. I also couldn't believe how many people died. I'll admit it, I cried when Dobby died, and couldn't believe it when Hedwig died. I think my comment was very similar to Browneyedgirl's.

I also was touched by Snape's memories. I knew he couldn't be a bad guy. At first I was kind of disappointed that Harry didn't let everyone know about Snape at the end of the book, but with naming his child after him, I think that he's had to explain about Snape to everyone.

Most of it was done very well. Very action packed right from the start. And I also have to agree that I like the cheesy epilogue. It ended like I wanted it to. With everyone married, and cute little Potter/Weasley's running around, with important names. It's exactly as I imagined. I would have liked to know a few more details, like jobs? How's George doing without Fred? Who's the new headmaster? More about Teddy? More about Luna, Krum, Aberforth, etc.? Did all of the Death Eaters get rounded up, or is there still a group of them out there somewhere?

But maybe it's so we can use our own imaginations and fill in the blanks however we like.

browneyedgirl77 07-23-2007 09:14 AM

Total tear jerker. I don't think I've cried sooooo many times while reading a book. When Harry was seeing Snape's memories I had to go to my room because my little girls kept asking me what was wrong because mommy(me) was balling.

harrypotterybarn 07-23-2007 11:00 AM

About the wand mastery: At the top of the Astronomy Tower in HPB Draco was the one to disarm Dumbledore, so technically he won the wand then. Though he never had it in his possession, it was technically his. Then, at the Malfoy's Harry wrestled Draco's wand away from him, so now Harry was master of the Elder Wand via Draco's substitute wand. Not sure I buy that totally, but they did say wandlore was a bit complicated.

Kim_Star060404 07-23-2007 11:12 AM

I agree harrypotterybarn, that's how I believe Harry came into possession of the elder wand. I remember somewhere in several of the books things being said along the lines of "it's not the wand, it's the wizard". I think this would SORT OF explain the idea that once a wizard disarmed the elder wand master, they became the elder wand master themselves, not because of the particular wand they were holding.

jtammy 07-23-2007 11:18 AM

I just remembered something that I wondered about while I was reading the book. I assumed it would get answered later, but I don't think it did.

What was the "small naked child" bundle that Dumbledore and Harry saw at the place that resembled Kings Cross Station? Harry was repulsed by it and Dumbledore told Harry that he couldn't help it. I don't think it represented Voldemort because at that point Voldemort was still alive and in power. Any ideas?

ShyCammie 07-23-2007 11:19 AM

Wow, I know I read the book fast and missed somethings that I've tried to go back for, but other stuff I seem to have picked up.
The book does describe Neville as the herbology professor (US pg 757 "I can't walin into Herbology and give him love...". I suspected Neville to be the one that became a teacher. Thought he did a great job of "growing up and taking charge" and would love to hear more about Gran now.
My understanding is: Gryffindor's sword always came to the loyal Gryffindor in time of need. All Neville had to do was think "Harry gave me the task to kill the snake, just how am I going to do that?" and it should have appeared. Griphook didn't understand the sword and will be sore that he "lost" it.
The Elder wand: Draco would have been it's master if he'd have picked it up when he disarmed Dumbledore in the HBP. But he didn't. Instead the wand was returned to the body and buried with it...leaving Dumbledore the master. When Voldemort took it, he did become the master of it...but, the wand chooses the wizard. So it's unlikely that he'd truly master it EVER if the wand didn't choose him. The wand was rightfully Harry's when he "won" it from Voldemort. Because he was a direct descendant of the Peverells, he had a connection that the wand would/should recognize. Harry, like Dumbledore, like Grindelwald, felt the power of the wand. (That incredible power repared the Holley Phonix wand because the Elder wand was won, not given to Harry.)
Draco's wand: Harry took it from Draco (by force) and therefore was the wand realigned with Harry.
The thing that I'm still missing, even after a partial re-read is from one of JKRs interviews. She said that someone (previously unable) would be able to do majic in this book. Many people were thinking Mrs. Figg or Mr. Filch. JKR said that Petunia would never be able to do it. I couldn't find anyone/anything that fit that description. What am I missing?
I'd also like to know what Harry's parents did for a living, had they acutally moved to the house they were killed in or was that Dumbledore's? What was Lilly's patronus? What do the three main charachters do for a living as adults? Did they go back to school and get a degree? Did Harry ever see the Dursley's again? Did they drive Ms Jones & Mr. Diggory insane?
As to the cliche ending, I liked it...I still miss Hedwig.

sarah44 07-23-2007 11:24 AM

Hi all -

I read the book yesterday! Ollivander answers the question about wand ownership on pg. 494 - "the conquered wand will usually bend its will to its new master." That's why Harry had trouble using a borrowed wand after his wand was broken - he hadn't conquered the wand by taking it from its owner by force.

Dumbledore took the Elder wand from Grindelwald. When Voldemort took it from Dumbledore's grave, it wasn't as powerful as he expected it would be, and the reason was that he hadn't conquered it by taking it from its new owner. He thought that Snape had disarmed Dumbledore, because Snape killled Dumbledore, so he killed Snape to conquer the Elder wand. But in fact it was Draco who had disarmed Dumbledore, and Snape never defeated him, because they planned his death together, so Draco became the next "master" of the Elder wand.

Harry disarmed Draco, and it was his wand that he took into the last fight with Voldemort. Which is why he said, "So it all comes down to this, doesn't it? Does the wand in your hand know its last master was Disarmed? Because if it does... I am the true master of the Elder Wand." And in the end, the answer was the wand did know, because it came to Harry's hand and would not kill him.

sarah44 07-23-2007 11:27 AM

Whoops - we all posted about wands simultaneously!

RocknRoll 07-23-2007 11:33 AM

Does anyone else think that Albus Severus should have been named Albus Sirius? i know Snape played a huge role in the final book but I still think that Harry would associate the name Severus with the bad memories at Hogwarts

sockmonkey70 07-23-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtammy (Post 1786563)
I just remembered something that I wondered about while I was reading the book. I assumed it would get answered later, but I don't think it did.

What was the "small naked child" bundle that Dumbledore and Harry saw at the place that resembled Kings Cross Station? Harry was repulsed by it and Dumbledore told Harry that he couldn't help it. I don't think it represented Voldemort because at that point Voldemort was still alive and in power. Any ideas?

I didn't really get that either...

Edit: Wikipedia described it as the part of Voldemorts soul that died when Harry did.

RocknRoll 07-23-2007 11:49 AM

The bundle was Voldemort. I got that impression when I read it. If you remember, everyone was crowded around Voldemort when Harry returned from Kings Cross. He was in the other 'world' as well.

browneyedgirl77 07-23-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtammy (Post 1786563)

Perhaps maybe it was the horcrux. The part of Voldemort's soul that was inside of Harry. I don't think that Voldemort would have felt it die. The other destroyed horcruxes didn't affect him. It seemed that only the destruction of Nagini did.

ShyCammie When Harry is talking to Voldemort about his mother he says that Snapes patronus was a doe like Lily's.
Right before Neville cuts off Nagini's head it says that he pulled something silvery from the depths of the sorting hat.

browneyedgirl77 07-23-2007 12:02 PM

I think we were all posting at the same time lol.

AmandaD 07-23-2007 12:34 PM

Great insights everyone. I loved this book but now I don't know what to do with myself because the series is over. Do any of you feel the same? I never thought I would get so into a character and story. I feel like I'm going through mourning.

I read through it so quickly I've started rereading it again slowly.

aphil 07-23-2007 01:08 PM

I finished the book yesterday, but had not had time yet to post. :)

As far as Albus's middle name being Severus, I think it fits. :) They never really went into the middle names of other children, Lily and James, so maybe James' middle name was Sirius, to put the two best friends "together".

I also right away knew that the heap in Kings Crossing was Voldemort. Kings crossing to me, was a metaphor of the threashold between death and life, and Harry deciding which way to "go".

I also cried during numerous times in the book...especially when Snape asked Harry to look at him. I also felt for Petunia...she was jealous and felt left out, and covered it up with hatred.

Rowling put the "19 years later" in there, because it was her way of making it so the series would not go on. Voldemort was gone, and rather than just leaving it like that...she went 19 years into the future, so Harry, Ron, and Hermione wouldn't be open for an adventure a year or two later.

harrypotterybarn 07-23-2007 01:25 PM

i wonder how long it will be until we get to see "Teddy Lupin and the Resurrection Stone" ;)

TeresaR 07-23-2007 02:36 PM

I loved the book. I admit I cried when Dobby died and Harry dug the grave. And I loved how Neville got to show that he was courageous and ended up being the one who got to kill Nagini. I did want to find out what carrers everyone ended up with. All we know is that Neville became the herbology teacher. But I figured that Harry and Ginny would marry and that Ron and Hermione would marry. I also wanted to know more about Draco and his family at the end-as to how they were veiwed by the rest after their fall from grace with Voldemort.

KO 07-23-2007 02:52 PM

Quick Question? Who displayed Magic that hadn't?

Kim_Star060404 07-23-2007 02:52 PM

I wasn't able to find anyone that displayed magic that hadn't.