General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #1  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Angry WTF? Tell me I'm hearing and seeing things!

Okay, I don't like or watch American Idol but I was horrified when I saw an article that claims that Jordin Sparks is too fat to be the Idol! Apparantly this woman who is the founder of a group against childhood obseity thinks Jordin is unhealthy and shouldn't have won. Oh and the woman, Meme Roth, is freakin skin and bones! Jordin doesn't look fat to me. I actually envy her body! And let's not forget that she is tall (about 6'), her father is a pro football player, and she's 17 so she's still growing! I saw the video on YouTube:

Neil Cavuto/Meme Roth
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #2  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I know, its unreal - but if it helps, EVERYONE in the world thinks this lady is a total wackjob.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #3  

I just watched a video on CNN about this -- how much hate e-mails, phone calls and death threats this woman received -- I think this is a little over the edge, but ??? The woman who made the accusations I believe they said was like 5'6", 120 pounds and had a BMI of like 20. Then they chatted about how so many people on American Idol have started out "overweight" and then became thinner and showed some pics. If you have a minute, check it out.

I don't think telling a child that she is obese is the best way to handle it anyway. If Paris Hilton/Nicole Ritchie are the "models" everyone else is held up to -- then I guess 99.9% of the population is obese -- but you know what, I'd rather be obese and healthy, have enough meat on my bones to produce beautiful, healthy children and not look like I died yesterday when I wear a bathing suit!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Jordin is a beautiful, shapely and talented young woman. Anyone who says anything else is off

Anyway, how the %#@ can someone be "too fat" for a position they won, fair and square based on the criteria set out by the producers and voted in by America? She's not going to be a rock climber that has to fit in tiny crevices on the sides of rocks or in caves...she's a SINGING PERFORMER for St. Joseph's sake!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #5  

I was really pissed off to read about this!

Also, why are they picking on Jordin? Ruben Studdard is MUCH heavier than Jordin and when he won no one came out and gave such a statement. I don't mean anything disprespectful or mean towards Ruben, honest! No wonder teenage girls and women have such self esteem issues about their weight with people like this in the world!

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Maybe we shouldn't let fat kids win spelling bees?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

That is absolutely ridiculous. American Idol has given a lot of people of size a chance, and Jordin Sparks isn't even fat, in my opinion! It's a SINGING competition, not a figure competition or a beauty pageant. Like an above poster said, RUBEN was much, MUCH bigger, and no one cared. I hate this double standard our society has... it's ok for men to be obese, but when WOMEN have ANY extra weight AT ALL, they get called FAT. A guy at the pool with a beer gut will still be able to approach women without being blown off, but a woman at the pool with the same tummy would be ignored under most circumstances... unless she shows that she has that "good personality"...
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

That is horrible that Jordin is being judged by her weight, but it doesn't surprise me. In 2005 , I was active on the AI chat boards because our family knows Carrie Underwood very well. There was constant rude talk of how "fat" Carrie was. (Good grief, she was a size 6). This disturbed Carrie very much. I see that after winning AI, she ended up losing weight and getting down to that even thinner image that some jerks were promoting. I trust that she is a very smart lady and won't give in to further pressure to get stick thin like so many of today's celebrities.

BTW, I think Jordin is great and beautiful just like she is. I did see on the cover of a tabloid that says "Jordin does not plan to diet".
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Ridiculous.

And we better fire the 2-3 actors out there who are a size 4 or above because they are in the public image

And well, politicians are supposed to be leaders, so all politicians who arent skinny move over. (lol...thats ONE way to remove dead weight from congress)

And lets not get STARTED on teachers, clergy, etc.

Well, while we are at it I think we should just ban anyone who is above a size 2 from becoming a parent.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #10  

What I don't get is -- aren't the "incredibly over-thin" in the minority? I do think it is horrible that there is an obesity problem, especially in children, but my god -- the large percentage of the population that is "normal weight" (the new "fat") out numbers the size 0's by millions -- so why are they in control of what is "normal"????
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

This woman is justifying discrimination of "fat" people! Which according to the way she was talking is most of the population.

What about all these studies that are bringing to light the fact that it's not how much fat you have, but where your fat is that make you obese? Ultra thin people can be medically obese if they carry all their fat around their organs. What about that? One of the studies even said that some of the healthiest people in the world (medically speaking) were sumo wrestlers. I don't think you can base health on appearance.

What an ignorant woman!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #12