General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default Sciatic Nerve problems/solutions?

Hi there...my DH is suffering miserably with a sciatic nerve problem. Anyone have/had this problem and do you know of any exercises or techniques that can help until we can get him to a doctor?
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #2  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I've been living with mine for 10 years. I am hopeful that perhaps "less pain" will be one of my big rewards for losing 125 pounds although I'm resigned to living with the pain for the rest of my life.

Mine is worst if I have to remain standing for any length of time (much over 15 minutes). If I am walking it usually doesn't come on although walking won't relieve it once it has. Sitting or laying down will relieve it. Plus parts of my thigh are always simultaneously numb feeling and super sensitive to touch (a punch to my thigh is hardly felt at all but just touching it lightly with finger tips can be excruciating - I work with aggressive children and find I now naturally protect my upper left leg.) It used to be even wearing jeans was a problem but I've gotten used to the sensation after all these years.

I hope someone cn post some hehlpful thoughts here. The only really positive thing I can say is it hasn't been progressive - it's no worse but more bearable due to familiarity than when it first started.

Good luck to him!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

stretching will help a lot. Having him lay down on back and trying different back stretching exercises...but make sure he only goes as for as his body will let him. There isn't much he can do until he gets some help. I definately suggest finding out what is the underlying cause of the siatic nerve issue????? I have a lower nerve issues that is secondary to a misaligned pelvis...which is corrected (and relieves the pain) with chiropractic. I would highly recommend finding out what's causing the pinch nerve first and formost. If is conformational thing then i highly recommend having him look into chirparctic medicine. It will make a HUGE difference. If its a disk or mass thing then...there are many different procedures (some non surgical) that can be done.

I recommend finding what's causing the issue. Find a good chiro that will do the proper x-rays and test that wil determine if he can use chiropractics to help his nerve issues. If so...go for it..
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #4  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

I lived with sciatica on and off for 10 years... I had very successful surgery, but in no means recommending surgery. I still practice a lot of the following...
I hope this helps him get through the days before seeing the doctor...

I never sleep on your stomach.
I prop myself up with pillows under my knees to watch TV or read.
During a flare I sit in a straight chair instead of soft which are diff to get out of.
I get out of the car by first turning my legs around so they are both on the ground then stand up.. instead of just sticking your head out first.
When I do dishes or brush my teeth, I open the cabinet under the sink a bit and put one foot on it, so I am not bending over the sink awkwardly.
BEND at the knees... use your legs, not your back. (? google body mechanics)
Your feet should always be in front of you when lifting squatting etc, as not to twist.
Strengthen the stomach muscles and your 'core'
Learn how to get into a pelvic tilt/aka neutral position... I know, sounds weird.. ? google I can't explain here..
If MD advises physical therapy... GO for it !!! they will teach you all of the above and more....... I still do all of my 'back' exercises every morning and its been 12 years after surgery...
If they offer 'Back School' go... its sounds it but it is not stupid...
Have you tried Lidocaine patches... talk with the doctor, most doctors prefer these over narcotics, as they are not addictive... and they have worked for me...
Walking was very painful but really helped.. I found curbstones an obstacle.. LOL
Ask about McKensie (sp.) Manuever... taught to me by a physical therapist with amazing but temporary relief...
Good Luck to you both

Last edited by Sweetcaroline; 08-03-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #5  

The fastest help I've found is an inversion table. The help that lasts the longest for me is kundalini yoga - but make sure it's the KRI approved kundalini - there are some kinds out there that call themselves kundalini but are actually dangerous.
Elizabeth Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Ice packs on the lower back and buttock, on the side where he's having the pain. He can lie on the ice packs, but he should have support under his knees when lying down to take the stress off his lower back. A couple of pillows would be good.

Ice pack on for 20 minutes, off for 20 minutes, repeat.

Also, anti-inflammatory drugs, if he is able to take them--namely aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve (choose one!). Follow the directions... don't take too many at once. Always a good idea to have some antacid around when taking these--e.g. Tums, Mylanta.

Good luck--don't go immediately to surgery--get a chiropractic consult as well as an M.D. consult. Just my suggestions...

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-03-2008 at 07:13 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote