General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #46  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Another born in AR (Little Rock). Spent most of my life in Southern California though and now for the last 9 years in Kansas, close to Wichita.

Shirley...I hear ya about the R-can-saw, lol! That seems to be a subject that comes up often here.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 196/194/135

Height: 5'5"

What town are you in cristina? I'm from a town 45 min. north of Wichita.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #48  
sfj

Lived in Naples, FL my entire life. Now I'm in southwest GA. Been here for 2 months.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #49  
Pending Email Confirmation

There are bumper stickers everywhere here that say "Orygun" because people who are not from here pronounce it or-ee-gone which is just not right! It's a statewide pet peeve really.

i wonder how people in ill-i-noise feel.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #50  

I can always tell people who aren't from the west coast, because instead of "or-uh-gun" they say "ore-gone".

Although when I did live on the east coast, I would giggle every time I heard the city "peabody" pronounced "pee-buh-dee" instead of "pea-bawdy".

I am in Sacramento, CA, by the way.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #51  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
Canadian mom - that's okay. i work in a call center and when we tell people we're in oregon sometimes they are like - oh, wow out there huh? and seem surprised we aren't still living oregon trail days in covered wagons. Hello - I do have electricity out here.
Oregon is joked to be the south of the pacific northwest. In fact, right next to me is Springfield and everyone calls it Springtuckey.
NO kidding, I live just west of Portland and when we were recruiting new engineers for my (former) company we had one say "ummmm Oregon? Do they have indoor plumbing there?" and another asked if there were any stores here. Seriously. Helllloooooooo its a city of almost 2 million people .
Old 01-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #52  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Shirley...we are in Andover. It might as well be Wichita as we are about 1.5 miles from the actual Wichita line, lol. Most people think it is Wichita and pretty soon it will be I think. I know where Hutch is and have been there many times. We try to go to the state fair every year, did this past year and actually enjoyed it.

Funny about the pronounciation's from all over. I just heard a lady say Ill-i-noise yesterday, lol.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 243/ticker/170

Height: 5'7

I'm in Kamloops, British Columbia. We're about 3 and half hours east of Vancouver. I grew up here and just moved back after living in Vancouver for a few years.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #54  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Hmmm, I'm from the east, and I've always heard it pronounced OreGUN, and...Illinoy.

For the first 3 months we lived here, hubby (not from WV), called (Cabell) Cabull County, Cuh - Bell. And they literally slaughter Kanawha Co. (Kan-awe-ah or just Kan-awe). But regardless of how they pronouce things, it's more important that people know we're actually a state. Used to get calls from people trying to get directions to our office, wanting to know if we were located near Richmond. Ummm...nooooo...that's the next state over.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 306/195/140

Height: 5' 2"

Hi
I live in a small town called Gosport on the South coast of Hampshire, England.

Its just across the harbour from our bigger neighbour, the Naval Base of Portsmouth.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #56  
Movin' and Groovin'

S/C/G: 289/269/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
There are bumper stickers everywhere here that say "Orygun" because people who are not from here pronounce it or-ee-gone which is just not right! It's a statewide pet peeve really.

i wonder how people in ill-i-noise feel.
The same way you guys do
Old 01-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #57  

hmmm - so far nobody is particularly close to me!

I am in rural central PA - not too far south of Harrisburg.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
Hmmm, I'm from the east, and I've always heard it pronounced OreGUN, and...Illinoy.

For the first 3 months we lived here, hubby (not from WV), called (Cabell) Cabull County, Cuh - Bell. And they literally slaughter Kanawha Co. (Kan-awe-ah or just Kan-awe). But regardless of how they pronouce things, it's more important that people know we're actually a state. Used to get calls from people trying to get directions to our office, wanting to know if we were located near Richmond. Ummm...nooooo...that's the next state over.
I know the feeling(if you know Canada) out west think New Brunswick is a partof newfounland (which is 2 provinces away). Well sorry not everybody but most people I met would actually fight with me over where I am from. They would 'same thing'. I was in Edmonton so I said to some that it is the same as me saying to them that they r the same as Calgary or worse Saskatchewan,that got there attention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 750x750_canada_m.jpg (41.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #59  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

I'm in Mascoutah Illinois. 30 minutes from St Louis.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #60  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

[QUOTE=SmartButt;1519383]I can always tell people who aren't from the west coast, because instead of "or-uh-gun" they say "ore-gone".QUOTE]

SO TRUE!!!

I was born in Iowa, but have lived in Oregon the past 38 years.
Closed Thread