Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #1  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

Question Alcohol and Weightloss

Here's a discussion that came up a work yesterday. A co-worker that is trying to lose some weight was eating a small salad for lunch another co-worker asked her why she was eating so light and she said she is going out after work to have a few drinks with friends and didn't want to go over her calorie allotment for the day. The other girl said that it didn't matter becasue you can't drink alcohol and lose weight. The girl said to lose weight it is calories in vs. calories out so it shouldn't matter. They came to me with the followin scenario I told them I didn't know for sure, but I would check with some people who may.

A girl who is trying to lose weight has determined that she should eat 1700 calories a day to lose wieght at a steady pace. She also likes to go out with her friends in the evening a have drinks so she has decided that along with exercise she is going to eat 1500 calories a day drink 3 vodka and diet cokes a day at 192 calories for a total of 1692 a calories a day. Can this person continue to lose weight. Is it truely calories in vs. calories out or is there soemthing about the alcohol that would prevent her from being successful.

Thanks for you answers.
RockerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

She can definitely still lose weight. Alcohol certainly won't help, but it shouldn't prevent it, either. I had lots of friends in college who lost weight while partying plenty. As long as someone doesn't mind ensuring they get enough nutrition from their other calories so they can take in those empty calories, then they should be fine. I think the problem most people have with alcohol is that they end up getting things like margaritas or frozen/fruity drinks that have WAY more sugar and calories than they think, which is why they can't lose weight. But, as far as I know, there is nothing magical about alcohol that makes weight loss impossible.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #3  
Ivy135

S/C/G: 219/171/135

Height: 5"4

I am currently on a weight management program with a physician and I asked him same question he responded drinking is not bad as long as its in moderation and like Jillibean said it all depends on what you drink fruity drinks are worse than a straight shot of vodka or gin and tonic.

Last edited by my ivy; 11-02-2006 at 11:58 AM.
my ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I quit drinking when I was losing weight and it was a lot easier. Now it's in moderation and it seems to double the amount of time it takes me to lose weight if I'm trying. It could be the alcohol itself (the sugar) or the fact that I'm drinking extra calories. I dunno. For me it just seems to stall weightloss.

Now, I do think the consumption of empty calories increases your consumption of daily calories overall and nothing leaves me hungrier at the end of the night than alcohol
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

For me, I lose a lot easier when I don't drink. I took the month of September away from drinking (all but 4 days) and I lost 4 pounds. I am back to drinking 1-2 glasses of wine per evening and my weight is more or less steady. Just this morning, I thought I ought to give up the wine for a couple more weeks so I can get to my goal.

I agree that drinking in moderation is okay, but you must make sure that you are getting proper nutrition. Getting the majority of your calories from alcohol is NOT the way to go to be healthy as well.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Since a whole BOTTLE of wine has 500-something calories, I have to say that getting the majority of your calories from alcohol not only isn't healthy, but in no way could be considered moderation!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #7  

All calories are not created equal and what we eat does have an effect of on weight losses and health. 3 drinks a day are 2 more than are recommended for women as well. Why waste calories on alcohol...I feel so sorry for people who can't have a good time without it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I've cut way way back on my alcohol but I do still have the occasional glass of wine. Mostly I cut back because I don't want to give up the calories to alcohol; I feel like I am just barely eating enough to not be hungry and I need just about every calorie to be filling. At 1400 calories per day, giving up 100 or 200 calories to alcohol is really hard to do (that's 7-14% of my total calories for the day!)

The other problem with drinking is that it tends to loosen my resolve to not eat things I shouldn't, so I often end up eating things that are outside my calorie plan when I drink. But I have lost 30 pounds without giving up drinking entirely and with even a couple of vacations and business trips that involved quite a bit of alcohol.

I do think that drinking can impact where you lose weight. I've read that calories from alcohol are stored in the stomach (there's apparently some truth to the term "beer belly"), so while you might still lose weight while drinking, it may be harder to lose your stomach.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I've found it stalls my weight loss if I drink every day, but drinking in moderation every other week or so (a night out with the girls, or some wine with dinner, etc) doesn't hurt me as long as I stay within my calorie limits.

I figure since its once a week at most, and I'm still staying in my calorie limits and staying hydrated, it isn't so much an issue. Now, making a habit of it would put you at risk for nutritional deficiencies as you replaced nutritious calories with alcohol calories.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerGirl View Post
Can this person continue to lose weight. Is it truely calories in vs. calories out or is there soemthing about the alcohol that would prevent her from being successful.
I drink regularly and I've lost most all of my weight. I didn't give up alcohol throughout my weight loss journey, I just made sure I didn't eat as much in food calories on the days I knew I'd be going out drinking that evening.

Not the healthiest thing in the world to do, but it didn't bother ME any.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I agree with Blue. Alcohol clouds my calorie counter. I don't do it often anyway, but, when I do, I eat whatever junky food is sitting around.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote