Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #1  

Default Need Ideas for high protein

I am on a high protein/low carb diet and I need some help with it.

Lunch and dinner are mostly no problem. I know that meat is high protein, so I usually concentrate on meat and veggies. However, it does get a little boring at times. Breakfast is the one that I am confused with the most.

My diet plan pushes eggs and cheese a lot. The probelm is that these are high in cholesterol and my family has a history of heart diease. I don't like egg beaters, fish (of any kind), or yogurt.

What are some foods besides meat, eggs, and cheese that are high in protein?
Quiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm probably not much help, but what about a fat-free cottage cheese? or just use egg whites instead of the whole egg? I also like to sometimes have lean ham for breakfast, or even a lean cut of bacon--is there a reason you don't want any type of meat for breakfast? I'm also in love with turkey breakfast sausages (the ones I have say 35mg cholesterol in 2 links), and they're easy because I just zap them in the microwave for a few minutes instead of waiting for them to cook on the stove.

You also don't have to have "breakfast" foods for breakfast--a nice piece of chicken leftover from yesterday's dinner can often be just as satisfying
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #3  

I don't mind meat for breakfast. In fact, I love turkey bacon. I'm just wanting some different ideas. Eggs and turkey bacon are growing a bit old. Plus, because my diet is low carb pancakes, waffles, toast, etc. are off the list.
Quiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I hesitate to post this because I bet the calorie count and saturated fat are probably through the roof, but it was legal for me (before I started counting calories) and it is delicious. It's not my recipe, I'm posting it from a recipe compilation from another site I used to visit. I think you could adjust it to make the saturated fat a little lower.

The Best Pro/Fat Pancakes

3 oz cream cheese (you can use neufchatel for less fat)
2 eggs (could use eggbeaters, maybe just egg whites, although I'm not sure)
1/4 c. splenda
2 HEAPING tbls vanilla protein powder
1/2 teas baking powder
1 teas vanilla
Dash cinnamon

Microwave cream cheese until VERY soft. You don't want any lumps in the batter. I did 1 min on high. Add eggs and mix until smooth. Add protein powder, splenda, vanilla and baking powder. Mix until smooth. Cook on low heat on greased frying pan or griddle. Top with sugar free syrup. Note: I use 8 oz all the time and adjust the eggs to 5, protein powder to 5 Tbs, sweetener to 1/2 c. splenda, 1 heaping tsp of baking soda and more vanilla and cinnamon. I generally get around 30 pancakes and wrap/freeze in stacks of 6.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 1.5"

What about nuts? Peanut Butter is really good for you, as are soy nuts...why not make a low-carb wrap (using Flatout or similar) using cream cheese and nuts? Sprinkle some splenda in...yum! There is always, of course, meal replacement...And oatmeal doesn't have to be excluded...it is a wonderful source of low-GI carbs...or maybe you could use oat bran, since it has more fiber. Either way, the Kashi GoLean cereals or Hi-Lo cereals are also high protein/fiber without being too disgusting (IMO). Also, try searching bodybuilding forums for the cottage cheese pancakes...I heard they're amazing!
mandagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:58 PM   #6  
Mel

Posted in dozens of places on this forum:
My version of the Protein-Fruit Pancake:

4 egg whites
1/4 c. oatmeal flakes
1/4 c. fiber one cereal
1/3 c. cottage cheese
vanilla, cinnamon

Wing it around in a blender until batterish, then pour into a preheated non-stick sprayed skillet. I sprinkle about 1/2 diced apple or the equivalent other fruit on it while it is cooking. Cook 5 minutes at medium temp, flip, cook. Sometimes I add 1/2 c. pumpkin puree to the blender and about 2 tbs. water and pumpkin pie spices. SF syrup if you aren't adverse to artificial sweeteners.

Fruits that work well cooked in: peaches, apples, pears, pitted cherries (frozen), blueberries.

Fruits that are better sliced on top after cooking: mandarin oranges, strawberries, bananas, melon....

Leave out the fruit, and it's even lower carb.

grams cals %total
Total: 215
Fat: 3 23 12%
Sat: 1 7 3%
Poly: 1 5 2%
Mono: 1 6 3%
Carbs: 23 70 35%
Fiber: 6 0 0%
Protein: 26 105 53%

How low carb do you need to go?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #7  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello out there!! I was on the Atkins diet before I had my second child, lost alot of weight, felt great etc....

I never thought breakfast was the hard part....like you said, eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage, etc. You mentioned concern about heart and cholesterol problems, but I thought that the research all said that ironically, you really didn't have to worry about that on this program? I could never explain it either, but the testimonials were all geared towards making the numbers better, not worse. Am I saying this backwards?
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote