Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Your favorite canned soups?

I'm a huge fan of soup and try to make my own homemade as often as I can, but I'll admit I keep a nice stock of canned soups around as well. Despite the sodium, I absolutely love them. I buy the Healthy Choice soups when they're on sale, but admittedly there aren't too many I like. My favorite is the chicken and dumplings, but many of the others are just too tasteless. I also keep around Chunky soups and Progresso soups. I have soup for lunch every Sunday and look forward to checking out my 'stash' and picking one out I'm in the mood for. Today I'm having the Chunky Chicken Corn Chowder. I also love the Turkey Pot Pie, that one is so good. A little higher in calories than the broth-based soups, but I still eat them once in a while. Also, Chunky's Chicken Noodle is yummy too.

Do you have any favorites?

To add, one of my fave soups to make for lunch: I take a thawed package of mashed winter squash and put it in a pan with a little chicken broth to make it soupy and add some spices and have butternut squash soup. I think I'll have that tomorrow with a tomato sandwich - homegrown tomatoes straight from my own garden!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I use canned soups sometimes in winter although I do prefer my own home made ones. My very favourite is Italian Wedding Soup! Progresso lentil is good too.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

My absolute favorite feel-good healthy comfort food is a can of regular ol' tomato soup with chopped kale in it, and if I have them I sprinkle a few croutons on top. I add chopped kale to every can of soup, actually.

I also LOOOVE Kikkoman's miso soup (it's a dry mix), again, with added kale.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I like tomato soup with add-ins

Progresso has a soup (don't remember it's name) that is a broth based tomato with vegetables and pasta (I think it might have italian in the name)

Some of Wolfgang Puck's soups are good,

but mostly I make my own. I keep canned beef and chicken broth, tomato juice, and powdered soup bases or bouillon in the cupboard to use as soup bases, and just throw in my own meats and veggies and simmer.

Once you've made it a habit, it doesn't take much more time than just heating a can of soup.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Amy's soups are really good- medium chili, mushroom, and vegetable alphabet are my favorites.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

I LOVE tomato soup and the Italian wedding soup. Those are my favorites. I alos love chicken noodle soup, but i dont like many canned ones because my mom makes this homemade kind with homemade noodles, and i guess im spoiled, hehe. Its SO good.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

Well, they are really boxed instead of canned, but I love the Campbell and Knorr boxed vegetable-style soups. Especially the Red Pepper Black Bean and the Butternut Squash. Sometimes I eat 2 servings (the whole box) as dinner -- only 240 calories and awesomely filling.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I will have to look for those, they sound really good. Those are the ones you pour directly from the box, not ones you add water to right?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I am also a box soup fan. My absolute favorite is the Trader Joe's Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato. I also like the Butternut Squash and the Carrot Ginger (that one might be Imagine Foods). The box soups aren't concentrated - you pour them out directly.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #10  
I restore Teeth.

I love cream of mushroom, but avoid it as much as I can- the sodium content really matters to me (weird?).
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover View Post
I love cream of mushroom, but avoid it as much as I can- the sodium content really matters to me (weird?).
Not weird at all. You can buy lower-sodium cream of mushroom, but to me it just doesn't taste as good, lol.

Thanks for all the replies so far
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 160/145/130

I love Campbell's Tomato Soup. I always eat it with a grill cheese sandwich and dip the sandwich in the soup. It's yummy!
jellybean416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #13  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean416 View Post
I love Campbell's Tomato Soup. I always eat it with a grill cheese sandwich and dip the sandwich in the soup. It's yummy!
mmmm i think i might have that for dinner!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

veggielover- the Amy's soups are pretty low in sodium (and most, if not all, are organic, I think). It has about 540 mg of sodium compared to 840 in campbell's condensed soup- and tastes really good. They also released a low sodium line as well.

EDIT: the cream of mushroom, that is.

so good.

Last edited by junebug41; 08-14-2006 at 06:34 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #15  

I like the campbells drinkable soup because they're low in calories. 150 calories or less in each.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote