Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Am i lactose intolerant?

Okay I have this weird milk intolerance thing. @_@
I can have milk products like yogurt and ice cream and cheese. but If I have a glass of straight milk, I will get pretty uncomfortable. But mostly I notice it every morning. Every morning for as long as I've been going to school I've had a bowl of cereal just before I leave. Now It never really bothered me untill about 5 or 6 years ago when we went from whole milk to 2%, 1% and fat free milk. suddenly about 30 minutes after the bowl of cereal I start feeling bad. Stomach ache, bloating ect. it will last about half a hour to a hour before it fades away.

It never bothered me much but this morning I was having some pretty bad cramps before I left for school and it kinda brought my mind back to how I felt pretty bad every morning at school when all I had was a bowl of cereal.

any ideas?
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #2  

Take lactaid before you have milk or buy the milk that contains lactaid.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I have the same problem. I can eat yogurt and cheese and not feel a thing, but when I have half and half in my coffee I blow up. I just take a milk digestant before I have my coffee.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I don't remember this bothering me when I was younger either. I never drink a glass of milk and have to just be careful with yogurt, cottage cheese and ice cream. I eat a soy cheddar thing that's pretty good and if I ever need milk for something I use a fat free soy. I dislike it straight, so I just don't drink milk.
I use whey protein powder for shakes and it doesn't bother me at all.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote