Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-24-2005, 01:29 PM   #1  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Talking Today's Mystery Veggie - Salsify

Salsify was Thomas Jefferson’s favorite vegetable!

White Salsify

Black Salsify

Salsify comes in both white (American) and black (European) varieties. You might have a bit of a hard time finding them in your grocery store, but they are in season right now. It is a root vegetable and has approx. 77 calories for a 4 oz. serving.

The white ones are sometimes a bit more gnarly and difficult to peel. The black variety is straighter. It’s best not to attempt to peel salsify before cooking. Here is a simple recipe for salsify: http://www.petesfrootique.com/recipe..._parmesan.html. The flavor is better if you leave the skin on during cooking and peel after the salsify has cooled. The flesh will darken almost immediately if you peel it when raw, so if you do peel them first, you’ll need to put the salsify into a bowl of water with a squirt of lemon juice to reduce any discoloration.

I first tried salsify when we lived in Switzerland and loved its delicious, creamy taste. It’s very popular in Europe and you can buy it canned in some European delis here in the States. The canned variety looks a bit like white asparagus stems with the tops cut off. The German name for salsify is Schwarzwurzel (black root).

Last edited by penpal; 11-24-2005 at 02:01 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #2  
it's always something

Thanks! I've heard of it, but have never tried it. Does it taste like any other vegetable?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:32 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

That's not a parsnip?
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:04 PM   #4  
Opulent

I prefer burdock myself
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:23 AM   #5  
it's always something

I just read that salsify tastes like oysters and is even nicknamed the oyster plant.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #6  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Suzanne - It has a unique flavor but a bit hard to describe! I've only ever had the black kind of salsify. I wouldn't have described it as tasting like oysters - although I know that it's also called "oyster plant".

Gina - The white ones do look a bit like parsnips, but I don't think they are related.

Yogini - I've never tried burdock - I'll have to look for it at Wild Oats or Whole Foods. I'm always looking for an interesting new veggie to try.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote