Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 09:11 PM   #1  
~ I Know I Can ~

Default Salt???

I am starting a weight loss program in a few days, and I was told by the clinic I am going to not to use regular salt. They said something about "Morton Salt" except it is an imitation salt I believe. I think it comes in a tall, slender, blue shaker.

Does anyone know about this type of salt?

How is it different from regualr salt?

Will this make you retain water like regular salt???

I usually have to salt my food before eating, that's why I am kinda curious.

Also, my sister has been taking water pills on her diet. Does anyone else do this??? If so, how does this help???

Thanks for any replies!

~ Kari ~
Old 04-07-2003, 06:13 PM   #2  
it's always something

You can buy reduced sodium or sodium free 'salt substitute' which would be what your friend is referring to. You'll find it at the supermarket next to the regular salt. This will not have the same effect on water weight that salt does, so if water weight is a concern then this could be a good option.

I personally have never taken water pills. I know people who have, and they often feel tired afterwards. Besides, the water comes back as soon as you stop taking them. If you decide you want to take them, please see your physician first. They can determine if you actually need them, or if you have any health problems that require you take or avoid them.

A good way to flush excess water from your system is by drinking more water! Get those kidneys working, and they usually will take care of any excess water and toxins in your system.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:43 PM   #3  
Student of the Hoof

The difference between the "regular" and the "lite" is that the regular is pure sodium, and the lite is part sodium, part potassium. My mom's doc put her on it quite some time ago to help her balance out her potatssium, I've been using it ever since.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:06 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Instead of Mrs Dash, pick up some Papa Dash--the one w/the black label. I don't use regular table salt anymore, haven't for about 10 years.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:51 AM   #5  

As a person that retains water easily, I also recommend the Mrs. Dash/Papa Dash seasonings--they are especially great on baked chicken and fish!

Also, it is a good idea to read the labels on the packages of the foods you buy, and taste the food before salting it.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:50 AM   #6  

Default About the water pills...

Kari,

I am on "perscribed" water pills due to a condition called edema. I retain up to 15 pounds of fluid due to this. Whether I weigh 125 or the 200 I weigh now, I have always suffered with this. The water pills keep the fluid down, in my case, it keeps the fluid from collecting around my heart and causing congestive heart failure. My blood is checked on a regular basis to make sure my electrolytes are stable and my kidneys are ok. It is imperative that I drink things like gatorade to compensate for the loss of potassium and other nutrients that keep us on an even keel.

I echo Suzanne's post...DO NOT fool with these drugs unless needed and perscribed. They can be very harmful to your over all health and permanent damage can be done to your kidneys. The results you have from taking the pills are temporary (you can gain the weight back in two days) unless you live on them. Using less salt (or in my case, NONE) will work (watch processed foods) as well as drinking lots of water and exercise. There are a lot of natural diuretics as well. Cucumbers, celery, tea, watermelon, etc... I personally would look into these foods and drinks to supplement your program.

Also, loosing weight helps the water retention tremendously and let me repeat...exercise does wonders for the fluid.

Hope this helps and good luck with your Weight Loss Journey.

Meg
Old 04-09-2003, 02:25 PM   #7  

Default Re: About the water pills...

Quote:
Originally posted by meg 1+2
I echo Suzanne's post...DO NOT fool with these drugs unless needed and perscribed. They can be very harmful to your over all health and permanent damage can be done to your kidneys. The results you have from taking the pills are temporary (you can gain the weight back in two days) unless you live on them. Using less salt (or in my case, NONE) will work (watch processed foods) as well as drinking lots of water and exercise. There are a lot of natural diuretics as well. Cucumbers, celery, tea, watermelon, etc... I personally would look into these foods and drinks to supplement your program.

Good advice.

I am on 20 mg of Lasix, which is prescribed for me to take every other day, for the reason that the risk of kidney damage that could happen if not taken properly. AND....don't take them if you aren't anywhere near a bathroom anytime soon! (I made that mistake once... )
Old 04-12-2003, 03:30 AM   #8  
it's always something

The box of salt in my pantry has been there for years! It's an extremely rare occasion that I add it to anything. I don't even own a salt shaker.

However, it was never a conscious choice to eliminate salt from my diet. When I moved out on my own for the first time, I was an inexperienced cook and I didn't know to add it to most things, the way I've sinced noticed that my mother does. You get used to not eating salt, and then many commercial foods will taste too salty after a while.

I love experimenting with various seasonings. I've been buying spice blends from http://www.worldspice.com/ I've been thrilled with everything I've ordered from them so far. They list the ingredients of all blends so you can see which include salt, but most don't.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:57 AM   #9  

Thank you for the link, Suzanne!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:50 PM   #10  

My email I eceived about availability of Papa Dash:

Thank you for contacting Alberto-Culver regarding your interest in our Papa Dash Lite Salt. Due to declining sales at the retail level, the Corporation made the decision to discontinue production in November of 2000. However, our department has been besieged with consumer requests for the product. Whether it
is for health reasons or just the love of the product, we have listened to you. It was through requests such as yours- from our loyal consumer- that the company has decided to once again manufacture the product. Papa Dash will only be sold
directly through us, and will not be available at the retail level.

We are offering Papa Dash to be sold by the case only, not per bottle. There are twelve 2.5oz. bottles in the case. The price, which includes shipping, will be $24.00 per case. As we do not accept credit cards, please make your check or money order payable to Alberto-Culver. We have provided the address
below.

Alberto-Culver Company
2525 Armitage Avenue
Melrose Park, IL 60160
Attn: Consumer Relations/Papa Dash

Upon receipt of the payment, we will place your order. The case should arrive in approximately 2-3 weeks via UPS. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at 800-333-0005. Thank you again for your loyalty and support of our wonderful product.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #11  
it's always something

That's interesting! But can you imagine how long it would take to use 12 bottles??

I have ordered foods by the case, though, when it was something I really enjoyed but had difficulty finding. Actually, I have a tendency to 'stock up' and rarely buy just one of anything anyway.
Closed Thread