Smoothie is NOT filling for Breakfast

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have been looking for the perfect banana smoothie recipe for the last 6 months and I have FINALLY gotten all of my ingredients together. Now the only disappointment is that my breakfast smoothie is not filling. I drank a 16 ounce smoothie this morning and within an hour I was starving.

I thought smoothies were supposed to fill you up? I know people have them in the morning for breakfast but I don't think I will be able to do this. Am I missing something?

Here is a list of what I put in my smoothie. Let me know if I should have added more in there in order to make me full.

2 bananas
    16 oz vanilla soy milk
    cinammon
    1 cap full of vanilla
    2 handfulls of frozen strawberry
    1 tsp of wheat germ
    1 cup of Dannon yogurt

Where did I go wrong? Or is a smoothie not to be used for breakfast replacement. Why was I starving an hour later. That was a lot of wasted calories for me.

Any suggestions?
  • Maybe add some kind of protein to help you stay full. You could get some vanilla protein powder and add it to the mix. They even have non flavored protein as well.

I drink protein powder with water and ice daily for breakfast and I Am never hungry an hour later.
  • I could be totally wrong here, but for me smoothies aren't for a meal replacement but more as a snack or a treat. Everything you listed sounds very yummy, but I would be hungry after about 1 hour.

Looking forward to reading other responses because I'm curious.
  • Protein, protein, protein.

I'd cut one of the bananas, and add some greek yogurt, or a scoop of whey protein powder. Your smoothie is almost entirely carb, so it is going to wear off quickly.
  • Quote: Maybe add some kind of protein to help you stay full. You could get some vanilla protein powder and add it to the mix. They even have non flavored protein as well.

I drink protein powder with water and ice daily for breakfast and I Am never hungry an hour later.
    Oooooooooooooooooooo, that's what I forgot. I forgot the protein. LOL

Thanks for the reminder.
  • Quote: I could be totally wrong here, but for me smoothies aren't for a meal replacement but more as a snack or a treat. Everything you listed sounds very yummy, but I would be hungry after about 1 hour.

Looking forward to reading other responses because I'm curious.
    Well, I"m glad I'm not alone about being hungry after 1 hour.
  • Quote: Protein, protein, protein.

I'd cut one of the bananas, and add some greek yogurt, or a scoop of whey protein powder. Your smoothie is almost entirely carb, so it is going to wear off quickly.
    Oh, I forgot about the yogurt. LOL. I forgot I had that as well. I use Dannon yogurt. LOL. I better edit my post. LOL Thanks for mentioning that.

I will definitely will cut out 1 banana and add some protein powder. I wish I liked greek yogurt but it taste too bitter alone. I may see what it taste like in a smoothie. What kind do you use/flavor/brand?
  • I can't be satisfied drinking a meal. It's a natural human response; my mom works in a nursing home, and one of their biggest problems is patients overeating and gaining weight when they have to eat all soft things. The brain marks satisfaction with a crunch!

Probably not true for everyone, but definitely for me.
  • Well, I don't "waste" Greek yogurt in a smoothie, I use regular Stoneyfield farms plain or lowfat yogurt bc Greek is so expensive. Greek yogurt does have some more protein per serving but I add protein powder if I'm looking for extra protein. I was also going to suggest adding some healthy fats to help fill you up. If I end up with extra avocado, I will chunk it up and freeze it to add to smoothies, and/or sometimes add some ground flax seed. For me protein helps for staying power, but (healthy) fats are the magic key.
  • I have a smoothie for breakfast every morning and am very full until lunch. Your smoothie sounds delicious, but more like dessert. I go my smoothie making very differently. I throw in whatever vegetables I have around, including lots of leafy greens, as a base and then sweeten it up with fruit. An average smoothie would be something like this: usually between 1/2 to 2/3 of the whole thing is vegetables (mostly kale and spinach, then maybe some celery, carrot, avocado, cucumber, etc), some fruit (1/2 a banana always and some frozen berries), coconut water and/or almond milk, a scoop of protein powder (either rice or pea since I'm a vegan), one tablespoon freshly ground flax or chia seeds, spirulina, a few drops of liquid stevia, cinnamon or ginger, and maybe a splash of vanilla. I think its delicious, but I know this sort of thing isn't for everyone.
  • Quote: I have a smoothie for breakfast every morning and am very full until lunch. Your smoothie sounds delicious, but more like dessert. I go my smoothie making very differently. I throw in whatever vegetables I have around, including lots of leafy greens, as a base and then sweeten it up with fruit. An average smoothie would be something like this: usually between 1/2 to 2/3 of the whole thing is vegetables (mostly kale and spinach, then maybe some celery, carrot, avocado, cucumber, etc), some fruit (1/2 a banana always and some frozen berries), coconut water and/or almond milk, a scoop of protein powder (either rice or pea since I'm a vegan), one tablespoon freshly ground flax or chia seeds, spirulina, a few drops of liquid stevia, cinnamon or ginger, and maybe a splash of vanilla. I think its delicious, but I know this sort of thing isn't for everyone.
    OMG!!!!! I LOVE YOUR RECIPE!!!!! That sounds so delicious. I juice a lot of green veggie but never thought to put them in a smoothie. I am soooooo trying your recipe. Do you think a regular blender will blend and mix all of that up or will I need something more powerful? Thank you for your input. Very much appreciated.
  • My favorite smoothie is very simple and usually does the trick for me:

1 banana
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 cup skim milk

Very simple, but it's delicious!
  • I like the protein and low cal option of the Big Train mix.....add ice, a banana, a little instant coffee and blend blend blend until it is really frothy
  • Quote: OMG!!!!! I LOVE YOUR RECIPE!!!!! That sounds so delicious. I juice a lot of green veggie but never thought to put them in a smoothie. I am soooooo trying your recipe. Do you think a regular blender will blend and mix all of that up or will I need something more powerful? Thank you for your input. Very much appreciated.
    A vitamix fell into my lap earlier this summer, so that's what I use. Other blenders don't handle the greens nearly as well. Make sure to put the harder to blend stuff on the bottom of the blender. That seems to help a bit. I've also heard that freezing greens helps them blend better, but have never tried it myself.
  • Quote: A vitamix fell into my lap earlier this summer, so that's what I use. Other blenders don't handle the greens nearly as well. Make sure to put the harder to blend stuff on the bottom of the blender. That seems to help a bit. I've also heard that freezing greens helps them blend better, but have never tried it myself.
    Thank you for the tip. I have been lusting over a Vitamix for a year now. I really need to save up money or try to find a good used vitamix. I really want one. It's worth the money.

Thanks again.