Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Default Savory mix-ins for oatmeal: yum or yuck?

I had oatmeal this morning (Quaker Weight Control, maple and brown sugar with a dollop of peanut butter mixed in for a protein boost: actually the pb kind of overwhelms the maple-y flavor, while pumpkin-spice Coffee-mate complements it a bit more). But I don't really have that much of a sweet tooth. Has anybody tried topping their oatmeal (plain, not flavored) with savory stuff like, say salsa (I'm working now on a jar of Newman's Own pineapple salsa) or cottage cheese? Whaddya think?

Last edited by ANOther; 02-29-2008 at 01:37 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hmm, I would have to say yuck to salsa and yum to the pb. But then I've never had pineapple salsa, so I'm not sure how similar it is to tomato salsa. I am very particular about my oatmeal. I start with plain old Quaker oats. I like it with a 1/4 tsp. brown sugar, 1/2 T. smart balance, 1/4. C. skim milk, 30 raisins, 2 T. splenda () a nice sprinkling of cinnamon and LOTS of salt. If any part of this isn't there in the correct amounts, it really screws up my day. (How weird do I sound?) So you can tell that I'm not adventerous when it comes to oatmeal. I really don't like ordering it in restaurants because they never have it exactly like I want it, I always feel a little let down that it doesn't taste the same as it does at home.

I have tried it with peanut butter and a little bit of cocoa and I liked it, but I like it better my way.

Let us know what you try. You may inspire me to try something new.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I guess I'm boring. I make the plain one with a little salt & Splenda only. No milk or sugar.

I have mixed in apples or blueberries. I've never thought of putting in a teaspoon or so of maple syrup.

I guess I could try and break up a Gimme Lean Sausage flavor patty in it as well.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I eat it just like my daddy does and that's with only salt! Yummy! I really prefer that over sweet!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Not long ago, I ran into some savory recipes for oatmeal - using oatmeal more like mashed potatoes, dressing/stuffing, polenta... I haven't tried any of them yet, but the one I'm most interested in used pan drippings from a red-meat or poultry roast (I'd probably use broth or bouilllon instead) and chopped onion and celery to cook the oatmeal with, creating a thick, starchy dressing-like side dish for meat or poultry.

I think "yum" or "yuck" is such a subjective experience, that you really have to try it yourself, but oatmeal is a cereal grain and not sweet by itself, so I think it will be great in savory dishes as well as sweet. I already use it in meatloafs alot, but the oats really are swamped by the meat, so I don't think that "counts." I do use other grains in both sweet and savory dishes - bulgur wheat, quinoa, wheat berries...
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I do use other grains in both sweet and savory dishes - bulgur wheat, quinoa, wheat berries...
I do that with grits, too.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Salsa on oatmeal doesn't sound good to me. I've also tried cottage cheese stirred into my oatmeal and wasn't that impressed. It didn't taste bad, it was just sort of bland. But I do like my oatmeal topped with 1/4 cup of nonfat, plain Greek yogurt. I love the cool creaminess of the yogurt with the warmth of the oatmeal.

I also am a fan of plain oatmeal, rather than the pre-flavored varieties, but I always sweeten mine with Torani sugar-free syrup.

I love peanut butter stirred into my oatmeal. And bananas--love bananas in oatmeal.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

Tonight my husband used one of those Simple Harvest ones (vanilla almond), with some 1% milk, some flax meal, and then he mixed in a little low fat vanilla yogurt. I was making faces at him, but after I tried it, I liked it!

I've never tried pb in it, and I love pb! Guess I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow...lol.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

When I couldn't have milk, I mixed in yogurt. It's really good!
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #10  
ladychild.

S/C/G: ~266|Ticker|150

Height: 5'6-ish.

I make my own oatmeal with rolled oats, almonds, raisins and whatever else I'd like to toss in with some hot, melted honey and a little bit of maple syrup and a sprinkle of salt, sugar and cinnamon. Mix it up and then spread it on baking sheets to bake for 30 mins on low and then dry overnight.

I eat it alone, atop of yogurt or the best is in some cold fat free milk for breakfast!
Anniemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I start with plain old Quaker rolled oats, add in cinnamon, nutmeg, a little bit of brown sugar, walnuts, raisins, and a tbs of wheat germ which adds both crunch and sweetness. I make up my own snack-size mini-bags of oatmeal, and then I can dump one in a pan with half fat-free milk / half water and let it simmer while I'm in the shower. Really good! Sometimes I'll add dried fruit instead of the spices, or will use maple syrup instead of the brown sugar.

I don't like pb in my oatmeal, which is odd because I like pb. I wonder what Nutella would be like in oatmeal?

I've never put salt in oatmeal or grits....ugh.

Yogurt sounds interesting, though!
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #12  
Proud Army Mom

S/C/G: 319.2/265/160

Height: 5'6"

I add raisins, brown sugar, and applesauce....I make mine w/o milk

Nutella aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh that would be YUMMY but I would probably have some oatmeal with my Nutella LOL I love that stuff!
DMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #13  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

Growing up I ate oatmeal in chicken soup. It was really really yummy and I eat that as a meal everytime I am sick. I really enjoy plain oatmeal with just some salt. Sweet is good too, but I prefer plain with a pinch of salt.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Thanks for the 2¢. Actually, I just found this link http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=457444
@ the Straight Dope, the OP asks specifically about steel-cut oats but I suppose as far as mix-ins it could apply just as much to other kinds of oatmeal as well. (Soy sauce??? Anybody got the nerve?)
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #15  

Default Nutritious options

I like to use a little apple butter (sweetened with fruit juice), banana, and almond slivers. You can also use Grade B maple syrup, frozen berries, and raisins.

I see a lot of ladies on here saying that they use Splenda. The trouble with Splenda is that it is virtual crap for your body. People should know that although the inventors claim it is made from sugar, it is also combined with chlorine. That's right, chlorine as in pool water, Clorox bleach! New studies have linked it to anxiety, depression, attention disorders and a whole slew of other preventable diseases. Also, eating artificial sugar substitutes do not help you lose weight in the long run. It actually tricks your body into thinking you're eating something sweet and then causes you to crave more sweetness. Another problem is that it is incredibly acidic. It changes the pH of your blood which your body desperately tries to correct by storing the acid in your fat cells. Your body won't allow you to lose weight because the acid stored in those cells is poisonous to your body. Therefore, it holds onto the fat cells and even creates more!

Simply said, eat whole food that grows from the ground and you will inevitably lose weight!
DrChristana is offline   Reply With Quote