What sauce do you like on your sandwiches?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I'm really looking for more flavorful ideas for sandwiches. There is a spicy southwest mustard I get from Walmart that I like, but I know I'm going to get tired of mustard quick. I need to shake things up!

What do you like on your sandwich?

Are there any little packets of sauce that are good to carry with?

Later Addition (3/30/10): Since we had so many good ideas I thought I would make a list!

Master List

Mayonnaise
    “Good Fat” Mayo (Olive Oil & Canola Oil)
    Mayo and Horseradish
    Mayo and Hot Sauce
    Miracle Whip (Light or Fat Free)
    Canola Mayo and no sugar Currant Jelly & mustard or mustard powder
    Canola Mayo and Bacon Bits or Crumbled Bacon
    Mayo and Chili Garlic Paste
    Mayo and Wasabi
    Garlic Flavored Mayo

Mustards
    Assorted Mustards
    Southwest Spicy Mustard
    Mustard and Frank’s Hot Sauce

Ketchup
    Ketchup and Horseradish
    Ketchup and Teriyaki
    Ketchup and Worcestershire

BBQ Sauce
    Bull’s Eye Guinness Beer Blend
    Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ (Watch the calories from the sugar!)
    Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce

Hummus
    Regular Hummus
    Lemon Dill Hummus

Dressings
    Caesar Dressing
    Thousand Island Dressing
    Ranch Dressings

Other Spreads
    Avocado (with or without Dijon Mustard)
    Guacamole
    Spinach / Artichoke Spread
    Spaghetti Sauce
    Plain Greek Yogurt
    Pesto (Regular and Sundried)
    Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
    Hot Sauce
    Marmite
    Salsa

Other
    Laughing Cow Cheese (with or without Hot Sauce)
    Pickles, Banana Peppers, Cucumbers (Juicy Veggies!)
    Picalilli
    Branston Sandwich Pickle
    Bruschetta Topping
    Chutney
    Tapenades
    Muffaleta Mix
    Black Beans and Roast Garlic (Pureed)
    Cranberry Sauce
    Marshmallow Fluff
  • At my house, we have the following:

-Lite Miracle Whip
    -Mustard
    -Mayo w/ olive oil

I also love horseradish and plan to buy some and mix it up with a small amount of mayo to make my own spread.

I've also recently been making my version of my fav sandwich using a high fiber english muffin spread w/ fat free cream cheese.
  • I like to use a little bit of avocado as a spread on my sandwiches.
  • I like using juicy veggies instead of sauces.. I keep pickles (the tabasco ones are great if you can find them!), banana peppers, cucumbers and stuff like that around to slap on my sandwiches to keep them from being dry. Of course, I'm kinda picky and don't like many sauces to begin with..so it's a little different for me I guess. I still like mayo, spinach/artichoke spread, and caesar dressing on sandwiches though.. or if I make it Italian style, I'll dip it in spaghetti sauce.
  • My favorite is lemon/dill hummus.
  • I love all sorts of mustards. Sometimes I'll do mustard on one side, and a schmear of a flavored Laughing Cow cheese wedge on the other.
  • Hummus!!
    Although I like a variety of mustards as well but hummus (and all variations of hummus) is my favorite.

Avocado is good as well.
  • try avocado or hummus
  • Since my lifestyle change I've become addicted to spicy things. Horseradish with a little mayo is my absolute favorite. I also like hot sauce mixed with a little mayo (tastes like a southwestern sauce). I also add hot sauce to mustard because I'm just that weird . I also like using Thousand Island dressing or pretty much any low-fat low-calorie salad dressing.
  • I like plain greek yogurt (or just strained regular yogurt) instead of mayo, and put a ton of it on! Also smushed avocado, hummus, and pesto are great (sundried tomato and regular).
  • Sometimes I use a tablespoon of my fave BBQ sauce (Bull'sEye Guinness Beer Blend) for 25 calories.
  • personally, i adore mustard in any way, shape or form. i've never met a mustard i didn't like!!
  • I know most of you are from the US but do you have picalilli over there or branston sandwich pickle?? they are both great on sandwiches and low in calories and fat. seen as you like mustard you would love picalilli - its a mustard base which can either be sweet or strong and has chunks of cauliflower, baby onions and gherkin etc in, it's gorgeous! branston's is well it's a bit hard to describe - is a dark sauce with chunks of onion and stuff in. i can recommend both of them if you like your sarnies!!! :-0
  • Thanks for all the ideas! I don't know why I had never thought of putting hummus on a sandwich before as an added spread but it sounds really good! I also need to remind myself that LIGHT mayo isn't so bad. I'll also need to make sure I pick up an avocado at the store.

Morgan, I'm going to have to try out that BBQ sauce. My favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's but it has a lot of sugar in it!

Jayne, I haven't seen piccalilli over here in the store but I also haven't been looking. I'm intrigued.
  • At home I like fat-free Miracle Whip. When I go out I do mustard usually.