Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 10:12 PM   #1  

Question Soy Milk

I'm trying to make some changes in my diet so that I can lose weight as well as lower my cholestoral (sp?) levels. I currently use skim milk and I ran across an article that mentioned using soy products.... thus soy milk popped into my head! Has anybody tried it and what do you think of it?

Of course this is just one of the many things that I'm doing to become more fit and healthier!

Any comments you have are welcome!!!
Old 05-07-2002, 10:59 AM   #2  
Mommy x 4

S/C/G: 230/160/150

I can drink soy milk ONLY ice cold. Otherwise it is icky to me. The brand I like the most is called So Good. Their chocolate milk is good too, but again, it needs to be ice cold and shook before useing. Hope that helps you.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:36 AM   #3  

95% of the milk I use is soy milk. However, you are going to have to experiment with brands and flavours to find out what works for you.

I personally cannot stand plain soy milk (or at least haven't found the right brand yet). However, I really like vanilla soy milk and find it great in cereal. I currently use the LF vanilla soy milk for Vita Soy.

If you are giving up regular milk, make sure you buy fortified soy milk. This will give you the same amount of vitamins and minerals as cow's milk.

Tobey

Here is a link to the Vitasoy website: http://www.vitasoy-usa.com/natural/
Old 05-08-2002, 03:05 PM   #4  
it's always something

I tried soy milk once and didn't like it. However, I've heard that some brands taste better than others, and some are flavored with vanilla to make it taste better.

I also am looking into soy as an aid to reducing cholesterol. I'm using soy powder blended in fruit smoothies.

It is recommended that we consume 25 grams of soy protein daily to get the benefits. I use Twinlab VegeFuel unflavored pure soy protein powder, 2 scoops contains 30 grams of protein. I combine this with a half cup of nonfat, sugar free vanilla or fruit flavored yogurt, a small banana, and a few strawberries or other fruits. I blend it all in the food processor, and thin it slightly with skim milk.

When you first start using soy protein powder, use just a little and gradually build up to the 2 scoop serving. Or use one scoop, and have this twice a day. I suggest this because the soy protein has a very distinctive flavor and you may not like it if you use too much right off the bat. It's easy to get used to though, and we really like the smoothies this way.

My son makes pancakes using pancake mix and mixing in some of the protein powder. You can do a lot with it.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:27 AM   #5  

Default Soy Milk

HI - I use Silk brand soy milk on my cereal in the morning. I like the plain version, but my husband likes the vanilla or chocolate in his coffee. I love Silk - it really tastes like milk to me, though I don't drink it from a glass. It has the equivalent calories and fat of low-fat dairy milk, and the calcium too.

It's available at all the supermarkets here in Cincinnati and I highly recommend it!

Marie
Old 06-04-2002, 09:24 AM   #6  

Talking Don't give up!

I tried many kinds and found out that you have to get used to the taste. I found nothing replaces milk exactly, but you can learn to really like soy milk. I like a vanilla Soy Delicious, but I think it is a brand that you can only get in Ontario, Canada.

I like drinking it plain on its own - not with a meal. I alsl like it with oatmeal. Actually I think it improves the flavour of oatmeal.
They have chocolate flavours too. I am lactose intolerant as well so I need the soy and the calcium.

I think I will try the Silk brand now as that is one I missed trying. Some brands are truly disgusting , but don't give up after trying one.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:42 AM   #7  

I use the soy milk over cow's milk all the time. My favorite one is the Sun Soy. They offer it in plain, vanilla, chocolate, or latte. The plain is really good and dosen't have the strong taste that a lot of other soy milks do. Plus, on the Weight Watchers program 1 cup is only 1pt. Their chocolate variety tastes just like regular cow's chocolate milk and I drink it right from the carton sometimes it is that good. Silk products are also very good, however, I prefer Sun Soy.

I also love almond milk in my cereal and baking.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:06 PM   #8  

Question

I'm a little confused. If soy milk has the same calories, fat, and calcium like MarieD says...then why switch? --Lindsay
Old 06-10-2002, 08:53 AM   #9  

Default Why Soy milk

Soy has a reputation for having various health benefits. The ones that drew me to it are

1. assistence with PMS and menopause symptoms. Soy has many properties as a "estrogen" imitator
2. "alleged" help with weight loss
3. source of non-meat protein and calcium

Also I am lactose intolerant and I love milk so I had to find a quasi-substitute.

Some of the flavour kinds actually have more calories than milk, but it kinda hard to tolerate them any other way.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:19 AM   #10  

Default Soy Milk

I also drink soy milk because it's organic, no chemicals or hormones, and because dairy products tend to make my allergies (hay fever) worse. I have not found a soy cheese I like though, which tastes and melts similiar to real cheese. Any ideas???

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2002, 11:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/211/165

Height: 5'5"

Try the "veggie slice" brand of cheese. We find it very good, especially the shredded cheddar.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:46 PM   #12  

Smile

I love soy milk, you have to be careful which one you use as they put oil and sugar into them and some end up with 8g fat per 200mls, cows milk is 4g fat per 200mls, but I don't like all the hormones and chemicals in cows milk. anyway I make my own soy milk it costs me 50 cents to make 2litres. soy has no fat and no cholesterol
Old 07-22-2002, 06:50 PM   #13  
just me

I like soy milk and have become quite used to it. The brand I have now is Silk. I have tried a few other brands and like them, too. I prefer the ones in the cold food section of the store.
Closed Thread