Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 07:33 PM   #1  

Lightbulb The Hotdog solution!!

Hi everyone:
If there is one food better than turnips, it has to be hotdogs! But I have the solution!

I urge everyone to overcome their tofu aversions and try tofu/veggie dogs. They are usually virtually non-fat and extrememly high in protien while very low in calories, compared to regular hotdogs. These products have come a long, long way, but it still helps to shop around for different varieties. (Sodium should be checked, however)

I've been converted (as I have to be, as a vegetarian!) and I can actually eat them to gain a nutrition boost during the day. The best way to prepare them by far is to boil them in water until floppy. BBQing is okay, but by boiling, they taste pretty close to 'normal'. They are also super chopped up in beans and weiners and in kraft dinner, etc... for fast healthy meals. Or just spear with a fork, drap in mustard, and eat!!

Has anyone else found a health-food alternative to a not so healthy food that is actually a nutricious boost? (ie: not just a 'diet' product of articicial stuff and chemicals?)
Old 03-06-2002, 03:56 PM   #2  

I have been a vegetarian for almost 12 years now and yes, veggie dogs have come a L O N G way. I remember the sawdust filled dawgs of the past. YUCK! But now, even my meat eating hubby likes most brands of the veggie dogs. My personal favourite is Yves. http://www.yvesveggie.com/

You really have to watch out when you "fake meat". A lot of products are VERY high in fat.

Our favourite burgers are:
Hubby's - Amy's Chicago Burger http://www.amyskitchen.com/
Mine - The Garden Burger http://www.gardenburger.com/index.asp#

As for other "fake meat" such as chicken, salisbury steak, bacon, etc... I the whole Lightlife product line. They are all very tastely and low in calories and fat. http://www.lightlife.com/

The other line of healthy diet food I enjoy is Guiltless Gourmet.
http://www.guiltlessgourmet.com/ In fact as I type this, I am enjoying some of their Spicy Blackbean Dip with some raw veggies. It is definately healthy - see the ingredient list below - and it is only 30 calories for 2 tablespoons:
Water, Black Beans, Bell Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Cider Vinegar, Jalepeño Peppers, Spices, Onion Powder, Salt, Garlic Powder, Beet Powder, Citric Acid, Dried Torula Yeast

All of my other healthy alternatives are things that I make at home. I.e. granola bars, muffins, breads, etc. I find baked goods are to find LF and Healthy!
Old 05-28-2002, 09:59 PM   #3  

Default The Hot Dog Solution

I'm not a vegetarian, but my son has been since age 12, so the family has tried all the meat substitutes out there. What I like now, even though my son is away in the Peace Corps now, is Boca brand sausages - they make Italian, smoked, and Bratwust, and they are really great. I boil them frozen, covered, in a frying pan in about 1/4" of water, and when the water boils off I spray the pan with a little Pam and brown them. They are so terrific. Low fat, low cal (they're huge; 1 is plenty), the only problem is a rather high sodium content (which isn't helped by the saurkraut I layer on).

Boca also makes a terrific breakfast sausage that I have almost daily. I like these products because they are low in fat, low in calories, and have protein and fiber.

My third choice is Yves Chili Dogs - they are good, but now that I discovered the Boca sausages, I don't eat them too often anymore.

Has anyone tried Morningstar Farms Veggie dog? I wonder how they taste.

Marie
Closed Thread