Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default Question for Walmart Shoppers - Shopping for ground turkey

Hello all-

I live in the DFW area of Texas and I shop regularly at Walmart for basically all of my needs. I have a question since I am trying to find other ways to cut down my calories since my husband and I really like red meat and we are trying to improve on that as well, I'm very much a chicken eater and am trying to add fish as well. But anyways, I have been having difficulty finding where the ground turkey and all the turkey products are located so that I can start substituting that instead of ground hamburger meat and hopefully I will reduce some of my calories that way. I've also heard that ground turkey is cheaper as well?

Thanks for any help.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #2  
it's always something

Ground turkey products are usually right beside the chicken products. If you don't see them, ask someone that works there because they'll almost certainly have it

Ground turkey can be leaner, but make sure you check the label because it isn't always so. If it has a lot of dark meat then it will have a higher fat percentage. They frequently add skin and fats to it so it isn't too dry when you cook it, so you'll need to check the percentage of fat it contains. You'll probably want to look for ground turkey breast and not simply ground turkey. The label should provide plenty of info
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #3  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I buy all my ground turkey at Wal-Mart. I find the turkey in the chest freezer section in the middle of the aisle, not near the other polutry. I buy the frozen Jennie-O brand that's packaged in 1 pound packages. It sells for $1.37/lb here in Florida. They sell the regular ground turkey and turkey sausage this way. I like to use the sausage in chili because of the extra seasoning. (here's the info from the turkey sausage label)

Amount Per 1 lb
Calories 600
Calories from Fat 396

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 44g 68%
Saturated Fat 12g 60%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 300mg 100%
Sodium 2320mg 97%
Potassium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 72g 144%
Alcohol 0g
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #4  

Okay thank you Suzanne3FC and dixiedieter!! I didn't even realize that there was ground turkey breast. I will be looking for that and the turkey sausage as well in the frozen section since I do like sausage with breakfast but have recently given it up due to the calories in regular sausage. Thank you very much to both of you!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Turkey meatballs can also be quite tasty. One brand we like is "just perfect" but we've tried many. We put that on our w/w pasta or whole grain pasta with some Hunt's "traditional" tomato sauce. Very tasty & quick.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #6  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 173/169/135

Height: 5'3"

Pillers Turkey bites are great as well, I use them on home made pizza's ,just slice them up and they replace pepperoni my DD didn't even notice the difference. LOL and I haven't told her yet.
smilely771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #7  

LOL Smiley..Hopefully my husband won't notice the difference. thanks for all of the replies.. I have awhile until I need to buy meat but I will definitely be trying out some of these suggestions and some of the recipes I have come across. Thanks!