Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #1  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Question Sugars - Good Sugars? Bad Sugars?

Okay, this is something I have been wondering for a while now... I don't really 'track' my sugar intake on its own - I focus on calories, and try to balance my fat and protein with my carbs, simply because the calorie counting software I use has a nice little daily graph of these three things

It also includes daily targets, however, for other nutritional measures, one of which is a recommended maximum of 50 grams of sugar a day. Now, I'll fess up right now - I am OFTEN over that number, sometimes by quite a lot. I don't stress about it too much though, as I said - I'm far more focussed on calories in and calories out. But as I make an effort to reduce my refined sugar intake, I have noticed that I am often still over this number, due to the fruit I eat.

Now, I didn't used to eat a whole lot of fruit, and I am not asking this because I am no longer losing weight or anything like that, I am just wondering - are some sugars better used by the body than others? I mean, we all know refined white sugar is EVIL - But what about the same grams of sugar from fruit?? Does my body use this differently? It sounds like that should make sense, but this whole weight-loss process is such a learning curve for me, this is my latest area of query.

I'd appreciate any input, and any comments form those of you who might eat a lot of fruit, and thus have a high sugar intake.

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well with fruit, you at least get fiber and vitamins. With plain sugar, you get nothing of that. Also, just eating sugar triggers sugar cravings. So yes your body may use sugar the same way but depending on what form you get it in, your body may absorb it slower and also utilize the vitamins and other good stuff that comes with it.

Personally, I do try my best to avoid added sweeteners but I do also limit myself with the natural sugars as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

I limit myself with sugars as well, but when I have them I try to go more "natural", for instance using honey instead of granulated sugar. A lot of breads I make take honey instead of sugar. I do use sugar substitute in my iced tea, but I really need to get over that (I want to go all natural) and start using honey or a small amount of sugar. I think that sugar in fruit is just fine, but thats because I consider this a "natural" sugar.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Personally, I don't count fruit as "sugar" I count fruit as a whole food - the more the better. (dried fruit are an exception).

I definitely eat a lot of fruit, at least 2 servings of fresh fruit a day, sometimes 3. My favorite fruits are berries (I eat at least one 6 oz serving of berries every day) and oranges. I also eat a lot of watermelon and peaches. I sometimes eat bananas, I rarely eat pineapple (but do love it - just hate dealing with a big fresh pineapple). In season (Jan - March) I eat pomegranates nearly every day. I like apples, but they aren't a "wow" fruit for me, so don't eat them very much.

I ate a ton of fruit while I was losing and still eat a ton of fruit while I'm maintaining - no issues. I don't eat much processed foods, so fruit is pretty much the only source of sugar in my diet (sugar doesn't sneak in via ketchup or salad dressing or pasta sauce or crackers or anything like that - I carefully select organic products with no added sugars).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #5  

I read somewhere.. here we go found it

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/...238476,00.html

it says "Your body makes no distinction between complex and simple or natural and refined sugars--they're all broken down into glucose. That means natural sugars are no better for you than table sugar. What's more important than the type is how much sugar you eat and whether it is taking the place of other nutrients in your diet. "

which should answer your question
ssmiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #6  
it's always something

The World Health Organization recommends no more than 10% of our calories come from added sugars. This does not include sugar that occurs naturally in fruit or dairy, but added sugars. They've done an incredible amount of research on sugar and how it affects our health. The sugar and soft drink industry fought them on it, suggesting we get 25% of our calories from added sugars. Can you imagine?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #7  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Thanks all - awesome input and info!
Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote