Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/280/190

Height: 5'7''

Default No Lunch Time

Hi everyone. I'm starting college next week and I have been trying to eat healthy lately. Three meals a day (working up to the 6 little ones) and healthy snacks. I've been doing good. But this is my schedule for two days of the week once I start college.

8-9:15 class
9:30-10:45 class
11:00-12:15 class
12:30-1:45 class
2:00-3:15 class

All these classes are in the same building and I really don't have time to run to the cafeteria or to my car (I'm a commuter) to go get lunch. I've already checked out the snack machines there and theres not one healthy thing.

So since I'm not gonna be able to have much of a lunch, does anyone have an idea of something I could eat between classes? It would have to be something I could put in my purse and run with. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
CherryBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Make your own protein bars?

Prepack wraps (hummus, veggies, chicken or other varieties) or sandwiches.

Be sure to pack a water bottle, chopped fruit, some nuts, and even dried fruit.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #3  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

I agree with TempleBody, protein bars are great, (i'm inlove with Luna bars, i'm much to lazy to make my own) maybe carry a lunch box with you to class to bring your healthy goodies in?
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #4  

When I used to have classes right in a row, I would always bring a semi-frozen water bottle. It would melt throughout the day, so I would always have cold water. The wraps and protein bars are a great idea! Healthy (non-messy) sandwiches along with baby carrots/fruit were easy to eat inbetween classes. Make sure to eat a filling breakfast too! I found that if I never brought anything to eat, I would end up eating vending machine food...which was not good! Or, it would be tempting to stop at a restaurant after all of my classes were over...especially if I was really hungry...which was not the best decision either!
starzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/280/190

Height: 5'7''

Thanks for the great ideas guys! I really am trying to start off this year on the right foot in regards to being healthy.

I would love to take a lunch box but I know the kids around me would think "Geez the fat girl can't wait an hour to have another meal?" But I might do it anyway just to mess with their minds...I'll be eating every time they see me and I'll be losing weight!

Oh and not to sound dumb...but what are wraps? I know what it is at Taco Bell, but what kind should I get at the grocery store? Do I just put veggies and stuff in there and roll it up? I've never made one before.
CherryBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 194/177/?

Height: 5' 4"

This may sound wierd, but I've actually had luck before with frozen turkey sandwiches. You can use mustard, turkey, and bread or a roll. What I like about it is that I can buy a pound of turkey and make five or six sandwiches, and then I can just grab them from the freezer on my way out the door. By lunchtime they're thawed, and I don't have to carry a bulky insulated bag. Very good for the mornings when I run out of time to make lunch.
sarah44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #7  
Chuggin' along...

CherryBlossom,

Congrats on trying to eat healthy and start college out on the right foot. I personally like to eat often - if I only eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I get way too hungry and binge later so I eat a morning and afternoon snack, smaller meals, and always have water with me, and I pack up my lunch and snacks every day for work. Perhaps you could get (or already own) a stylish looking bag that could actually be your lunchbox if you don't want to look so conspicuous. My co-worker has a small bag from the Met in NYC. You'd never know it was her lunch bag until she pulls food out of it.

I looove sandwiches make with deli meat and whole wheat bread, mustard or hummus, and also portion out several days worth of veggies into tupperwares or plastic bags on Sundays (that way I don't have to do it every night). I also cut up fruit or pack portable fruit in its 'wrapper' that won't get my hands sticky, like bananas, apples, peaches, etc. String cheese is a great protein and dairy fix, as is yogurt. Protein bars are ok, or granola bars - I just just watch the calorie content and the sugar content (I pick bars that have a little more fiber and protein to keep me full, like Kashi granola bars. I also love Luna bars). If you can find individually portioned peanut butter cups they are great with apple. Note: beware those small Jif cups that look like a single portion - they're actually 4 Tbsp of pb, or 380 calories. I love the idea others have already mentioned, of putting a frozen water bottle or sandwich in your lunch box - that will keep everything else cool during your AM classes.

Wraps are made with flatbread or tortillas. Flat bread is, well, flat bread, that is usually round and just a wee bit puffier than a tortilla. My grocery store carries a brand called Flat Out! that contains a decent amount of fiber in several of its flavors. You can also use a tortilla - there are some good whole wheat and/or low fat ones out there - again, just check your nutritionals to make sure it fits into whatever plan or way of eating you're doing. You can put a lot of sandwich stuff or whatever in there, and just roll it up and wrap it in some saran wrap. I like deli meat, roasted skinless chicken breast, hummus, mustard, lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, roasted red pepper, lettuce... use your imagination Good luck!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #8  

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you.. except my problem is with breakfast (I have a 930am and its an hour and 20 minutes and I'm going to probably be really hungry when I get out, so I'm taking dry cereal and yogurt with me to much on the way back to my dorm) But I agree, the flat out! wraps are amazingly huge and only 90 calories with 9g of fiber and 9g of protein. Whole grain too! Even the "light" ones. I plan on having a sandwhich ready for me when I get back with either tuna or turkey slices and tons of veggies. And fruit, deffinitally. Cut up some and put it in a plastic container before you go to class. good luck
ssmiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #9  

I second the luna bar recommendation, they are really yummy and filling. I also like to pack 1 tbsp of almond butter or peanut butter spread between 2 wasa crackers.
nxelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #10  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

I really like the Odwalla banana nut bar. Tastes so close to banana nut bread. Yum!
hidingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #11  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

If you are not averse to shakes...what about slimfast or an atkins one? Take a 1/4 cup of walnuts or cashews, make up some peanut butter on whole wheat, cut in half, take an apple, or a cut up orange, or both, take some yogurt.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #12  
that girl

S/C/G: 167/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3

Special K Double Chocolate protein bars rock and will keep you full for a long time.
Lisa0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #13  

I mix a tablespoon of peanuts with two tablespoons of raisins for a really fast snack that wards off hunger for me. I used to carry a little ziploc bag of those when I was in school.
I also carry Organic Z bars (140 calories, made by Clif) and fruit leather, along with fresh fruit and veggies when I need snacks for work or classes
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #14  

The brownie zbar is actually only 120 calories the chocolate chip and honey graham are 130. They are really good.. I try to only replace them for candy cravings though. They have 12g of sugar in them (which isn't bad compared to most bars). I would skip out on foods without fiber though, like some fruit leathers and fruit products. Those won't fill you up like actual fruit will.
ssmiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I dont like the bars as I think they end up not being very satisfying for the calories and tend to have a lot of sugar. Also, you arent talking "once in awhile" you are talking "nearly every day" so you need REAL food.

PB&J on whole grain bread
Cheese sticks
apples or peeled segmented oranges.
cut veggies
nuts
Hummus
Sandwiches or wraps
yogurt

The possibilities are endless. The frozen water bottle is a great idea and to heck with what others might think. What is more important your health or their misinformed opinion?

Pack enough to make several small meals. For optimum learning you want to be fueled!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote