Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #1  
LLV

Smile Eggs - need tips and recipes please

In the mornings I try and eat something low carb/high protein because it keeps me feeling fuller longer than if I'd eat hot or cold cereal or something bready. Normally I eat egg whites - either scrambled or hard-boiled. I also like Egg Beaters.

So I was wondering what some of you do to jazz your eggs up in the mornings to make them more tasty and interesting. I don't really want lengthy and time-consuming recipes because I don't have the time in the mornings to do major prep or cooking, I just want something I can throw quickly together.

What do you do with your scrambled eggs to make them yummy? Also I'll take suggestions for 'fun' things to do with hard-boiled eggs so they're not always so boring.

*just a note - I usually only eat the whites, I pitch the yolks.

Thanks!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 229('06)/214/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

Would you be able to prep western ommelet fixings into a tupperware a few days ahead? I'd chop up some low fat ham or chicken, mix it with some chopped onions, peppers and mushrooms. Keep it in an airtight container and spoon some into my scrambled eggs in the morning. I'd make enough to last 3-5 days.
lavidasofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavidasofa View Post
Would you be able to prep western ommelet fixings into a tupperware a few days ahead? I'd chop up some low fat ham or chicken, mix it with some chopped onions, peppers and mushrooms. Keep it in an airtight container and spoon some into my scrambled eggs in the morning. I'd make enough to last 3-5 days.
Fantastic idea, thank you! I love scrambled eggs with onions and peppers.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/177/?

Height: 5' 4"

Hmmm...

- a handful of scallions or chives - can be chopped up and frozen in advance, so you just add them to the eggs as they're cooking without doing any prep

- a sprinkling of dried herbs like basil or oregano

- a bit of cheese, especially low fat feta

- if there's time for some chopping, all of the above with a diced tomato

- whatever leftover green vegetable I have in the fridge - broccoli, greens, etc. especially spinach!

- other kind of spices, like cumin or curry powder, can also be good
sarah44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #5  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

even simple mushrooms and red onions cut up the night before is something I really like. I also will toss in some spinach - just take it out of the bag and tear it up

If you like salsa or even just tomatoes that's also an idea. Or grated up zucchini or eggplant.

I try to always throw in at least 1 serving of veg in my scrambled eggs to start off the day in the right direction (for me ).
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah44 View Post
Hmmm...

- a handful of scallions or chives - can be chopped up and frozen in advance, so you just add them to the eggs as they're cooking without doing any prep

- a sprinkling of dried herbs like basil or oregano

- a bit of cheese, especially low fat feta

- if there's time for some chopping, all of the above with a diced tomato

- whatever leftover green vegetable I have in the fridge - broccoli, greens, etc. especially spinach!

- other kind of spices, like cumin or curry powder, can also be good
That's a good idea, maybe I could try different spices. It's not that I don't LIKE the taste of eggs, but you know how it is to get stuck in a rut and eat the same old thing all the time.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen View Post
even simple mushrooms and red onions cut up the night before is something I really like. I also will toss in some spinach - just take it out of the bag and tear it up

If you like salsa or even just tomatoes that's also an idea. Or grated up zucchini or eggplant.

I try to always throw in at least 1 serving of veg in my scrambled eggs to start off the day in the right direction (for me ).
Yep, scrambled eggs, another way to squeeze in a serving of veggies

And I loooooooove eggplant. I'm having some for lunch today, in fact. Maybe I'll save some back to toss into my eggs in the morning.

Thanks, great ideas!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #7  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

I usually eat my egg whites with a slice of low fat cheese on a whole wheat english muffin and a little bit of hot sauce.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #8  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

The other day, someone here mentioned putting salmon or tuna salad in the egg white halves, instead of deviled eggs with all the yolks.

For an omelette, I like some fake crab with low-fat feta or low-fat cream cheese and dill.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #9  
LLV

Thanks for the suggestions so far, it's much appreciated!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 AM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they sell a spicy ranchero egg white salad that is awesome and only 50 calories per generous serving. You could it it for breakfast over toast or in a low cal tortilla.

You can make mock French toast by mixing together 1/2 cup egg beaters (or 4 egg whites), 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup low fat ricotta cheese, cinnamon, and 1 packet splenda. Cook like you would a pancake and eat with fruit. It's about 200 calories, not including the fruit.

Don't throw out the egg yolks! Set them out for the birds to eat (especially in the winter when they really need the protein).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

One thing you can do is build a burrito!

I usually make up my scrambled eggs as though I'm making an omelette then I fold one half over the other, and side it onto a plate. I use a low calorie wheat wrap and lay out the egg first, sometimes I'll add in a slice of turkey bacon or turkey sausage. But if I dont have the time, I just throw some fresh veggies in, peppers and the like.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #12  

Here's what I do often.

Take one can of fat free refried beans, mix with one small can of mild diced chilis. Stop right there if you're just looking for a tasty bean dip for chips, but since this is about eggs:

Cook a couple of tablespoons of onions in a small skillet with pam. Add your portion of eggs (or eggbeaters, if you are me) and cook scrambled style. Heat up some of the bean mixture, and top the eggs. Add salsa, chopped raw onions and jalapenos to taste if desired.

Easy, pretty good for you, and very tasty. One of my favorite dinners. But you can have it for breakfast, I don't mind.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I do an egg white burrito too. I cook the egg whites with black beans (which I have already simmered in garlic, chipotles and orange juice and then thrown into the freezer), and then fold them up into a La Tortilla Factory wrap. I then top with a tb of lite sour cream and a big pile of pico de gallo and sometimes thinly sliced cabbage also. It's the biggest, most filling, healthiest breakfast ever. I love it.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #14  
LLV

Oh my gosh! I love all of these suggestions, thank you so much! Perfect for breaking up the boring old morning egg

And birds eat egg yolks? Hmm, I didn't know that.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Birds can sense if the egg is unfertilized (a dud) and will break it open for the nutrients that it provides.

You dont see it happening a lot, but it does happen! Its also not a widely known fact or anything! lol
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote