Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #1  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

Default help me NOT hate oatmeal...!!

ladies!

I know that oatmeal is the "best" healthy breakfast to have...but I have tried it and I hate it!!!! bleghhh!!
can anyone PLEASE recommend a delicious, sweet, filling, and non-stale-tasting oatmeal product OR recipe for me to make, so i can finally begin my mornings without guilt-inducing muffins and other carbs?!

please help!!!
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

If you want to get oatmeal in, I have a couple ideas...

2 packets of Quaker Weight Control Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal (you could use the Banana Weight Control or the Cinnamon)
1 egg white
dash cinnamon
1/2 c. applesauce
dash of vanilla extract

Bake at 350 for 8 minutes - longer if you want them crunchier!

Also:
1 cup oatmeal
1 egg white
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 packets of splenda if you're super worried about carbs, or 2-4 teaspoons regular sugar

Mix it up and spread on a cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes at 300 degrees. Stir it up again and bake it for another 8 minutes or until it lightly browned and crunchy.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #3  

Turbo: I hate oatmeal too... no matter how I try to fix it What I do is add dry oatmeal to my yogurt and smoothies .. our you can make some oatmeal "power bars".. Im sure there are recipes around... There's one down in the Recipe section of the South beach forum.

Hope this helps Leda!
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #4  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

Aidyn,

thank you!!!! can I cook these both into "bar" form???

Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
If you want to get oatmeal in, I have a couple ideas...

2 packets of Quaker Weight Control Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal (you could use the Banana Weight Control or the Cinnamon)
1 egg white
dash cinnamon
1/2 c. applesauce
dash of vanilla extract

Bake at 350 for 8 minutes - longer if you want them crunchier!

Also:
1 cup oatmeal
1 egg white
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 packets of splenda if you're super worried about carbs, or 2-4 teaspoons regular sugar

Mix it up and spread on a cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes at 300 degrees. Stir it up again and bake it for another 8 minutes or until it lightly browned and crunchy.
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLeda View Post
Aidyn,

thank you!!!! can I cook these both into "bar" form???

Leda
Definitely. That's the whole idea.

And you're quite welcome
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use a flavored oatmeal packet like bananna or maple, make the oatmeal, and instead of milk, I use 1/2 cup of a light ice cream that has less that 100 calories. I LOVE this, because it reminds me of pie or cobbler alamode
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Life is too short to eat a breakfast you hate. Have you considered a whole wheat tortilla wrap with healthy fillings and salsa for breakfast? Currently, my favorite breakfast is 2 kashi waffles (one with natural peanut butter and one with some sort of jam/jelly). Breakfast can be anything - even a veggie burger or leftovers!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #8  

This could be my post except mine would be "help me not hate beans".
As for oatmeal I like the kashi flavored oatmeals.
Do you like oatmeal cookies? My mother in law makes the best oatmeal cookies with whole wheat flour and raw sugar. I am sure they are not low calorie but to me they are healthy enough to be a breakfast cookie.
Judy
judyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

If you hate beans, it's okay. I hate cauliflower and I have no intention of ever eating it. But if you want to try, it is easy to throw a can of beans in a food processor and puree them and then add them to soups, pasta sauce, chili, taco filling, sandwich spreads.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Glory - you can also cook and puree cauliflower and use it to make a creamy soup. I've also seen recipes for curried cauliflower which sounds yummy to me.

As for the oatmeal - here are a couple of other suggestions:

- mix it half and half with another hot cereal. I do this all the time as my DH won't eat cooked oatmeal. I just use 1/2 cup oatmeal (old-fashioned), a one-serving amount of say 7 grain cereal, and 2 cups of water, and salt if you want. I then cook it on the stove til it's the right consistency.

- A lot of people like oatmeal "raw." My DH will mix it with another cold cereal and eat it. You can also soak it in milk, or soy milk, overnight and then add fruit or whatever and eat it that way.

But, Glory's right, there are so many other healthy choices that if you don't like something - you don't "have" to eat it.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm with Glory--why force yourself to eat something you don't like? Oatmeal is just a whole grain--have some whole grain toast with natural peanut butter instead. Or a whole wheat pita or tortilla with some scrambled egg, salsa, and shredded cheese. Or some Kashi cold cereal made with 7 whole grains. Or some turkey sausages and fruit. Or some yogurt with granol sprinkled in. Or...the list is endless, and I've only even entioned "breakfasty" foods, but there is NO reason you can't have normal foods for breakfast, like a ham and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread, leftovers from the previous night's dinner, soup...

There are lots of healthy foods I don't like, and I'm not about to force myself to gag them down. What good is a healthy lifestyle if it makes you miserable to eat? Even when losing weight, you should ENJOY your food!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:06 AM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I agree; if I really don't like something, I don't eat it. For example, I don't like peas. Sure they're good for me, but there are so many other veggies I can eat, why bother to eat peas. I only get 1300 calories per day; I'm not going to waste them eating foods I don't like. There are tons of great, filling breakfast options, from other types of hot cereals, to cold cereals, to yogurt and cottage cheese, to eggs and lean meats; why eat oatmeal if you don't like it?

In terms of making oatmeal palatable; are you cooking it with salt? 1/8 tsp salt (for a single serving) makes a huge difference. I like my oatmeal with 2 packets of French Vanilla splenda, some pumpkin pie spice, and 1/4 cup of soy milk or non-fat yogurt on top. I like it even better with chocolate chips stirred into it , but that's pretty much not on the menu these days . But that does give me an idea...maybe I could add a tbsp of cocoa powder and some splenda and it would be similar to the chocolate chip oatmeal. I'll have to try it.

You might also try steel cut oatmeal. It's a pain to cook (so do a big batch and freeze what you won't eat in a week, don't try to cook a single serving at a time), but it does have a distinctly different flavor and texture than quick or instant oatmeal. You can get pre-cooked, frozen steel cut oatmeal from Trader Joe's.

Here is a recipe for oatmeal pancakes:

Oatmeal Pancakes
1/2 cup eggbeaters
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp flour
2 packets instant oatmeal (flavored, if you want)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 banana, mashed (you could sub your fruit of choice...1/4 cup applesauce, pumpkin purree, mashed canned peaches, crushed pineapple)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything together and cook the way you would any other pancakes. Serve them with the topping of your choice (fruit, syrup, whatever you like on pancakes). The recipe makes 6 good-sized pancakes, each at just under 100 calories. If you eat three pancakes, you are getting a full serving of oatmeal.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:26 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I also don't get the point of eating something you don't like. How can you stick to something if you don't like it? And why?

Oatmeal is great, but it's certainly not the healthiest breakfast out there. I hardly ever eat it at all.

A huge veggie stir fry with an egg white omlette is a great breakfast, very healthy and satisfying. I'm totally and completely satisfied with Fiber One cereal mixed with Kashi Go lean cereal and skim milk. You must, MUST find what YOU like. That's what has kept me on plan for so long - finding foods that I LOVE.

I'm the opposite of Glory though on the cauliflower. I eat it about 6 days a week. But if I didn't like it - I wouldn't eat it. I love it roasted, steamed and in stir fries.

Beans, I hardly ever eat them. They're not my favorite and I find them to be high in calories. I prefer to get "more volume" for my calories, so I stay away from them for the most part. There are plenty of heatlhy alternatives.

It's all about finding what foods you really like. There's lots of great, healthy choices. I sugggest experimenting. I have also found that my tastes have really, really changed since I started this journey. There are some foods now that I never used to eat and now I love them - like grape tomatoes and spaghetti squash. Experiment, try new things. Put your own spin on it. Adapt old unhealthy recipes and make them more "diet" friendly.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I dont think oatmeal is the best breakfast, personally all kinds of oatmeal put me on a bit of a bloodsugar rollercoaster and JUST oatmeal for breakfast would be like eating a donut

my favorite healthy breakfast
eggbeater omelet with light cheese, salsa and veggies & ezekiel toast with smear of smart balance spread
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #15  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

while i love oatmeal and eat it ever morning by choice I don't think you should eat it if you don't like it. why bother. find something you love.

i make old fashioned oats so that it comes out creamy. then i add a banana and some cinnamon and some sweeter (SF flavored syrups) some milk and occasionally a few nuts...

of course i do make oatmeal bars for travel days

makes 3 2 bar servings:

1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup dry milk powder
1 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed ripe banana
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
sweetner of choice and to taste
can add
cut up dried fruit
nuts
chocolate chips

preheat oven to 350
spray an 8x8 pan with Pam or other cooking spray
mix all the ingredients together
glop into the pan and smooth if needed
bake for 20-22 minutes or until the edges are brown and pull away slightly from the pan..
cool
cut into 6 bars
refrigerate if not eaten.

i lived on these for breakfast for a while.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote