Twinkies

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • And you may never eat another one, I'm guessing!

(my own little was Krispy Kreme 'cream' filled donuts - undoubtedly just as awful as the Twinkies - and thankfully the last one of those was October 2004 ... funny how we remember!)
  • I've never had a twinkie or a hoho, either. My weakness was always homemade; brownies and fudge in particular; followed by good old peanut butter on buttered toast; and, of course, plain milk chocolate.

I do remember that my last cigarette was October 1986. I also remember that hard as quitting smoking was, it was easier than quitting brownies.
  • At least with homemande brownies and fudge, you know there's not a list of unpronounceable ingredients!
  • I never liked twinkies at all. Too...fake tasting. But homeade brownies were a major favorite like people mentioned. And peanut butter cookies...gingerbread...sugar on buttered toast...oh man, hungry now.
  • I heard an interview on NPR a few months ago with a chemistry prof who has had a Hostess cupcake open on a shelf in his classroom for 23 years. It's a bit dusty, but otherwise appears the same.

I never ate that stuff either...I managed to get good and fat on mostly home made food! I'm a darn good baker! (or was.)

Mel
  • I can't believe none of you ate twinkies as a kid! They were a staple in my house all the way through high school. We used to freeze them and eat them frozen; it seemed like we always had a box in the freezer. My sister and I never wanted to admit eating the last twinkie in the box, so we'd always put the empty box back in the freezer. I remember pulling out that box many times in anticipation of a twinkie only to be horribly disappointed to realize it was empty. We also ate ho-hos, suzy-Qs, ding dongs, and the occasional fruit pie (no snowballs, though) but twinkies were a staple.

I haven't had one since high school, though. I've never had an urge to buy them for myself and I can't really say that I miss them much (although now I do really have a yen for a suzy-Q, ho-ho, or ding dong ).
  • Yeah, we had them growing up. I've never, as an adult, purchased a Twinkie (or any other Hostess product, for that matter). I just don't like store-bought baked goods.
  • Twinkies were a staple in my house too when I was growing up, and I don't understand why I was obsessed with them. They're not satisfying, which could possibly be from the 65% or so air that's in them. I'd rather bake something or have a bowl of ice cream.
  • Several years ago, I had purchased some Twinkies and DD didn't like them and they sat in the cupboard for a few weeks. When I saw the box, I took them out and was going to eat one, but it was as hard as a rock. While it has so many preservatives, it may not mold, but it definitely does not keep forever!!!
  • So I purchased the book, and started reading it Friday. I'll let you know if it fully turns me off from proccessed baked goods. Let's just say I'm not rushing out to buy the new 100 calorie pack hostess cupcakes, though they do sound tempting.
  • I might want to read that book also, if it does turn one off from wanting sweet processed stuff like Twinkies. I do know that after reading Fast Food Nation, I was OFF fast food chains and tried to recruit others also!

Our Aphil here has a WONDERFUL term for processed snacky cakey items - she calls them 'embalmed'
  • I dont think I've had a twinkie in years, my dad bought a box for my boys and they didn't hate them but didn't love them either....Those red coconuty twinkie like thing...zingers!! Those were my fave when I was growing up..I actually can remember the last one i had..it was in 1994 when I was working a little convience store after college...

Luckily, my kids dont even ask for those things...My 2 LOVE cliff Zbars which seem ok, I'll have one from time to time also
  • I can't remember the last time I had one. We were at an Art/Wine Festival a few years back and boobalah decided to try a fried one. He ate a few bites and threw it away. I didn't even want to taste it. It looked disgusting! He will never have another one.

I went into a "quickie in n out" type store one time for something. I came out laughing. boobalah was curious because I was holding it in until I got into the car. There was this lunatic woman in the store asking when they got their shipments of Ho Hos and Twinkies. She wanted to buy them fresh.

If I'm going to have something sweet (cake, pie etc), I want to have a quality piece, not processed.

Beef Fat in Ho Hos? YUCK!
  • I'm loving this thread...very interesting and nostalgic!

My mom would never buy us "good" food like twinkies or any other processed cakes when we were kids. I mean she would buy popsicles and pudding and she also baked, so we did have sweets and desserts (not every meal), but never those yummy little cakes. I used to feel like every single other kid at the lunch table had a twinkie, ho ho, hostess cupcake or some kind of "good" dessert. There I was with my bag of carrot sticks or apple slices and peanut butter. I was so jealous and loved them as a kid if I could get my hands on them. Truth is, I still do like them, but I know they are deadly, toxic stuff, so I steer clear. I love thinking about them as "embalmed"... not very appealing, is it?

Funny thing is my mom had her own secret vice which was Tasty-Cakes Butterscotch Crimpets! She would buy a box of these and hide them for herself! If we found out she had a stash, we would beg and beg, and sometimes she would let us have one for a special treat. Those were good... anyone ever try them? Her other vice, like Mel, was/is Krispey Creme creme filled doughnuts (I adore doughnuts too, especially krispey kreme). Several years ago we had a drive through Krispey Kreme near the mall. My mom would drive 20-30 minutes, go through the drive through, and get one when she wanted a treat. At least she claimed she only got one! She is a big believer in the occasional 'treat,' no matter how sicky-sweet it may be. She was so upset when they closed that particular Krispey Kreme down because the closest one now is about 45 minutes away from her house. She considers it a blessing because she was somewhat addicted to them.

I'd love to read the book... scary scary thought what is in some of the food out there. I teach high school, and I absolutely shudder to see kids having a snickers and mountain dew for breakfast, fries and pizza and another soda for lunch, and then they head straight to Sonic or Wendy's after school!

Anyway, thanks for the great post. I'll have to get ahold of that book to keep me away from twinkies for good!
  • Quote:
    Her other vice, like Mel, was/is Krispey Creme creme filled doughnuts

Nope, not me. That's the other mod who starts with ME and add a G . I've had exactly 3 Krispy Kreme's in my entire life and threw out 1/2 of each. My downfall is peanut butter and chocolate and Carrot Cake! I do remember having those TasteeCake Fruit Filled pies almost every day for lunch in high school. Until then, I'd never seen anything like them in my lunches - but by high school I had my own money and there were those vending machines. I can blame a lot on my mother, but not a childhood of junk food. It was FORBIDDEN when I was a kid.

Mel