Old 01-01-2007, 12:21 AM   #1  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Wink Denise Austin: Hit the Spot - Core Complete DVD (review)

I was enticed by this DVD since:

1) Core is one of my 'problem areas' (yes, I know that there's no such thing as "spot slimming" - but figured that even after I slim down all around, toned core muscles are still needed for that six-pack look... might as well headstart it.)

2) It utilizes a stability/swiss/exercise ball (so far, I've only been using it as a computer chair); you will also need some dumbbells to work out with this DVD.

The DVD is broken down into 5 segments, a warm-up (which I never do on this DVD, see reason below) & three 15-minute workouts (core & arms, core & legs, core & buns) and a 18-minute "complete" that includes exercises from the other three. There is also the custom option where you can "design your own workout", mixing and matching the five segments.

On the plus side: the exercises are fairly targeted, and there's great variety (usually alternating between a isotonic toning workout with dumbbells & an isometric stability exercise with the ball) so it's hard to get bored. and most of the exercises aren't that tricky to perform (one of my particular concerns with the ball, since I'm fairly klutzy to begin with.) And of course, Denise's usual efferverscent encouraging self (though some may find this a downer.)

On the downnote, while the exercises are targeted, very few of them are high-impact or repeated enough to make much of a difference on the muscles (compared to other toning exercises I've done, the ones here results in little relative burn) - perhaps I should up the weight of my dumbbells (though I was already using 8 pounders, heavier than the DVD's recommended 3-5 pounds). Also there were a few tricky ball exercises that resulted in my unintentional dismounts during my initial attempts to get into position.

Bonus downer: perhaps only with my DVD player, but every time I stick this in it'll take a good three minutes before I can start working out, due to all the opening flicks that I can't zap out of.

Bottom Line: I think this is a good core exercise supplement to my regular workouts (which is what I've been doing so far, adding a 15/18 minute workout to my usual 35-50 minute sessions), but definitely not something standalone, due to its low-impact.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaWarlock View Post
On the downnote, while the exercises are targeted, very few of them are high-impact or repeated enough to make much of a difference on the muscles
I have to respectfully disagree here.

Physical activity doen't need to be 'high impact' to be effective, nor are high reps necessary.

In functional 'core' training, which is what this video is, the reps are often much lower than in something like 'Slim Series' since you aren't actually isolating one muscle...you're training your body to work in a different more 'functional way.

Done regularly, and with proper form, they will make a difference in people bodies.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote