Old 01-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #1  

Default sigh. what to do when you are hopelessly uncoordinated?

i just finished up my evening tae bo tape.

problem is, i still stink at it! LOL! i can never get the jabs with the leg lifts and the moving forward and to the side.. i just can't put it all together! even so, i still do the video, and i flop around like a fish out of water... i figure its better than doing nothing. i look like an idiot, but oh well... at least i'm sweating!

i guess i am just hopelessly uncoordinated. i do the tae bo interspersed with WATP and the firm w/transfirmer. i screw up on the firm when its getting into aerobic stuff like going up and over the box. the WATP tapes i can do just fine (EEEEEasy, i guess). i would do all WATP, but i like to have some intensity variety. i love that there isn't much prop usage on tae bo and WATP...

i guess i'll just keep on keeping on. but if anyone has any video suggestions for someone born with two left feet... (heck, mine are also backwards!) i'd appreciate it!!! it would be nice to feel the satisfaction of being able to "keep up" with the instructor.

kindly
susan
shaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #2  
Mommy to two beast-ettes

some of the tae bo moves are still really hard for me. especially when they start taking steps and then kicking. i own the bootcamp series, but i also rented the foundation and energy dvd from netflix. the foundation goes through the basic kicks, punches and stretches and is fairly easy. the energy part picks up the pace using all the basic punches and kicks from the foundation part.

i was really bad with my coordination at the beginning, but i've noticed i get better every time. sometimes i have to look away from the tv and just go at my own pace because with certain moves, when i try to keep their count, it completely messes me up.
jas80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #3  

I agree that you will get better with time - really. It's the same with balancing - that took me awhile also and now I'm really good at it. I had an instructor at the Y when I took a class with some friends comment on it a few years ago (I think she was surprised a bigger gal did - LOL).

I find Denise Austin and Kathy Smith two easier ones to follow that I like that will go through the steps more.

Tae Bo - the Inspirational tape and one of the Get Ripped Basic tapes (can't remember which one) are a little slower paced - I really like the Inspirational one. I used these two a lot coming back from a shoulder injury. Tae Bo moves very quickly - that is why I stopped doing the Advanced tapes - it was way too fast and not good for my injury proned body (had whiplash three years ago when someone rearended me at a red light going 40 mph).

Good luck - and don't give up!!!!

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Rachelle about Denise Austin. I have lots of her tapes and she uses a lot of the same core moves. Once you get used to her style she's easy to keep up. She does a lot of grapevines, shuffles, step-touches and the like. I just got her new one called burn fast fast (I'm pretty sure). It's kind of a dancing one but after only 2 or 3 times I was doing the moves pretty good. You might also want to try bellydancing. The moves are a little slower so you don't get left behind. It's hard work though because it engages a lot of muscles, you'll be sweating. If you want to try it check out Rania's Bellydance for Weight Loss series. Good Luck!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:58 PM   #5  

I believe everything can be adapted. I am not that coordinated myself so I don't like "dancey" aerobics. I always say I only like "straight" exercise. Taebo, Pilates, and WATP work for me. With Taebo when he's moving side-to-side stand still and do the moves. Take out some of the steps until you feel comfortable.
72butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hey, I understand that problem. I can sing and play instruments, but anything that involves moving feet and arms together....well, let's just hope my life never depends on it. But, I've been doing Taebo for about two months now, and I *just* started to get through the entire tape...I still skip some of the exercises I can't do...and others I have finally had a light come on and it does eventually happen. Just stick with it, watch them do it, and one day you may surprise yourself. FOr me, (I'm doing the Fat Blaster Series) the counting helps, whether its at his pace or my own.. if it is something i have issues with, I continue going slow even when he is going double. I'm not quitting, so its ok.
Just stick with it....it does get better! And if you just can't do it...walk in place and wait for the next one or fast forward...either way, you're still trying, and that's what counts!

Vanessa

Sorry for being so long winded.
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #7  

I really like Kathy Smith, I think her videos are really well done and easy to follow. I couldn't get into Tae Bo at all, it was like fast fast fast stand stand stand new thing, but with Kathy I can always do the tape by the second time and she shows how to make it harder once you have figured it out. Denise Austin was just too over the top for me but her two new ones looked better.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #8  

don't feel bad! Tae bo is not easy to manage! I have a brown belt in karate and still have a hard time following Billy Blanks some times. If you really like tae bo, try the 30 minute circuit video by Billy Blanks. It's 30 different exercises that you do for one minute each so you arent' switching around every three seconds!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #9  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Don't feel bad at all about it. I did tae kwon do for two years in high school, which involved some pretty complex movements, but when I tried my first Billy Blanks tape, I could not follow it!!! I was literally blushing as I did the workout because I felt so out of it. I, like you, do the WATP, but want to mix it up to add some challenge to my workouts. I am enjoying the Biggest Loser DVD, which gave me very few problems, and also some of the Denise Austin workouts.
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:23 AM   #10  
angst and eyeliner

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5' 3"

i am a total klutz, which has led to me not following through with more than one workout program. i'm currently using the yourself fitness for xbox (you can also get it for ps2 and pc). i like it b/c it is interactive and takes your level of fitness and personal goals into consideration. you can also increase/decrease the difficulty of the workout as you go along if you need to. my plan is to continue with it until i am in better shape and then go for some of the more challenging programs!

the bellydancing suggestion seems cool... i've never tried it before...
isenephthys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #11  

Height: 5'3

I so know how you feel. I have trouble with the aerobic moves on The Firm also. WATP is one of the only workouts I've ever tried that I can actually follow completley... I guess maybe it gets better with time..lol..but I don't know. Just hang in there.
gremlina is offline   Reply With Quote