Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #1  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 160/160/140

Height: 5'7"

Talking How have you arrived here?

Hello everyone....
I have been an observer here on 3FC for some time now....and it is just recently that I have stumbled across this "Featherweights" forum. Congratulations to all of you who have been so dedicated. Whether you have lost a lot to get here or just a little and are now trying to get to that lowest (and most difficult) number...the support is so possitive! For those of you who are on the light side of a longer weightloss goal (maybe you have already lost 20 or 30 lbs. and this is the homestrech)...I would love some insight on how you have adjusted your eating/exercise plans.
I lost 38 lbs. about 3 years ago (*after the break-up of a long term relationship...WHAT A motivator that was!)....my lowest being 142...and I have managed to put on about 18 of those pounds in the last year-and-a-half. It's all been real slow...I exercise alot...run...lift...bike...tennis...etc.
The real struggle for me is my "intake"...the eating plan (or lack there of). I had joined WW...and that got me started on my original big weightloss 3 years ago. Since then (in the last 2 years) I have joined WW and fallen off about 5 times (embarrassing, I know). My motivation is shot...I last a month here or there...with WW I have lost my spark..and it annoys me so much to figure out the little points...or if I eat something that was not "planned" I feel like I've failed. I guess my attitude is part of the problem too. I don't know if simply counting calories would be easier? I know that it takes hard work, dedication, control, and a positive attitude to power through this obstacle...but I need a starting point. I am grateful for any feedback or advice on what eating plans work for you...or if anyone has been in this similar situation? Sorry for my ramblings...but it sure feels good....I'm going to go for a run right now!!!!

Last edited by sassafrass; 09-16-2006 at 02:29 PM. Reason: link didn't work
sassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I count calories and eat whole foods (check out the whole foods forum also). This month, to get myself going again after a summer long of losing/gaining the same 3 pounds, I gave up wine for the month of September so I can get to just losing! I've lost 32 pounds to date and have just 6 to go until goal. Besides all of this, I consider this a lifestyle change--not a diet. Things I incorporated years ago when I lost 40+ pounds are still with me, but this time, I'm being much more in control and not giving in to those processed foods that were my downfall.
Good luck and Welcome!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:09 AM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 160/160/140

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Allison...I will check out Whole Foods...
sassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5`2

I lost 22lbs in 2001, after my DD was born-I only gained 12lbs in pregnancy and lost that all in the 1st week-the 22lbs was on top of the pregnancy weight. I did it by exercise alone-light weights and the Firm. I`ve slowly regained all the weight and am now using the Wendies version of WW.
InATizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:22 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

and out of lurkdom sassafrass

Initially I lost a lot with WW, this is like hmmm, 18 years ago... Then the last time I joined WW I was totally discouraged, like you, I spent a whole year going there and lost 1 or 2 pounds all year, and paying every week ... The lady who weighed me in, an older woman, was telling me that I should STOP weight training .... NOT gonna happen here I love my gym

Then I found 3FC and started using fitday.com and counting calories, eating 5-6 meals/day, with a portion of carb and protien at each meal and lost 15#, and try to stick to unprocessed whole foods as much as I possibly can... I am at a plateau again but that's my own fault I just have to be more consistent and persistent with my eating... The weekend kill me and this summer has been especially tough for some reason...

I much prefer to count calories than points and the encouragement on 3FC is always there and available, whereas WW was only once/week... Hey 3FC is open 24/7 ....

One thing I've learned here at 3FC is not to beat myself when I have gone off the wagon, the next clean healthy meal is only 2-3 hours away and I get right back on track, most of the time ...

Keep posting and sharing and you'll be where you want to be in no time ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I think I lost my first 50lbs just cleaning up my act No Mac D's, no KFCs, not many sweets etc. I used to calorie count in a little book, and JUST calorie count - I'd eat quite a lot of processed food but kept my calories stupidly low. I did the stupidly low calories for about a year and started kickboxing, then I decided to start weight training, and I started eating 6 meals a day along with upping the amount I work out - I kickbox 4 times a week, then I gradually started running and I'm now working towards a half marathon. I still eat 6 meals a day and try to eat clean, unprocessed foods. However, like Ilene - weekends kill me!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I've lost 30 pounds through calorie counting and exercise. I never could figure out the whole WW points thing; it seems way too complicated. So I just try to keep my calories below a certain level. I started at 1200 per day but have increased it to 1400 per day by increasing the amount of exercise I do. 1200-1400 calories per day is not a lot of food, so I also have to eat healthy foods so that I'm not hungry all day. Without even thinking about, this forces me to eat a fairly low fat diet. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and lean protein, including a salad with almost every lunch and dinner. I could probably cut back on carbs and sodium more, but one improvement at a time.

I'm the opposite of everyone else--weekends are easiest for me. I sleep later so breakfast and lunch end up being later, making it easier to avoid afternoon snacking, and I'm usually running around (or so exhausted that I'm napping) so there's less time to eat. Also, my SO and I are homebodies so we hardly ever go out.

I started out exercising 3 days a week with a personal trainer and am now up to seven days a week. Still 3 days with trainer, an hour of various cardio machines (step machine, elliptical, and treadmill) on Tues and Thurs, swimming for an hour on Saturday, and 45 min of various cardio on Sunday. One of these days I'm going to cut it back to six days a week, maybe next January. I keep thinking I'm going to try a spinning class one of these days but so far I haven't gotten around to it.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Barbara .... Nice to meet you
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:35 AM   #9  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

Default Howdy :)

I've done most of the big popular diets over the years, starting with the Diet Center (remember them?) when I was 17. (Thanks MOM. NOT.) The Grapefruit Diet, Susan Powter's Stop the Insanity thing, the Cabbage Soup debacle, South Beach and Atkins (both of which made me sick), and now a modified WW thing. Like most dieters, I'm hyperaware of the calorie and fat content of every single thing I put in my mouth, which, when you think about it, is really sad. My focus is on food. Food is always on my mind, in one way or another.

I'm sort of floundering around at the moment - gearing up for another big effort, but not quite ready, if you know what I mean. My office is moving this week, so I'm waiting until things settle down next week - when the boss isn't bringing donuts and pizza all the time.

Better to give it another go than give up though, right? Right. I want to continue calorie counting, do some walking and running, and start weight training. I don't know how to do the weights though, so that's an issue. So much conflicting advice out there on the web...

Anyhoo, I'm glad to be here.
BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:21 AM   #10  
Think thin

Height: 5'2"

Welcome BeezKnees! Or should I say "howdy" from another Texan!
Yes, there's a lot of stuff out there and it's VERY confusing. When somebody gets the answer, I'll be first in line to learn it. In the meantime, we're doing this the old-fashioned way--diet, exercise, and lots of support. Each of us has her own way of tackling the fat issue, but we're pretty good at applause. Drop in anytime!
Jazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #11  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

Default Lol

Howdy Jazzbird!

When it comes to exercise, I'm soooo confuuuuused! Thankfully my husband was in the Marine Corps, so I have someone close to me who knows some good exercises and how to work those muscles. Don't know if I'm ready to be ordered around by a drill instructor yet, though - especially not one I'm married to.
BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote