Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #1  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Not a typical "Goal" post

I've finally done it -- for two weeks in a row, I've weighed in at what I once told myself was my "ultimate" goal weight of 105 lbs. That means 30 lbs below my highest weight. But this isn't just a celebration.

It felt incredibly weird, seeing that number on the scale. Looking at my body in the bathroom mirror, naked, and being able to see faint ridges of abdominal muscles, the edges of hipbones, and pouches of flab on my lower abs and thighs. To see everything photoshop conceals: cellulite; ribs.

I could post a happy goal post celebrating all I've achieved. I lost the weight naturally without calorie-counting, eating 1500-1600 calories a day and exercising 300 off. I've gained in psychological well-being and increased energy from running, yoga, climbing, biking, and occasional forays into "sports". Shopping my own "skinny" closet is a pleasure. Some days, I catch a glance of my reflection and I'm shocked by how I now have a body I used to envy.

But there are downsides, too. I don't want a life of counting calories or avoiding my favorite things. I don't want to always be looking forward to my next meal or my next pant size. Most of all, I don't want to be thinking about my body as "imperfect", seeing the pinches of fat I will always carry instead of an overall figure that is healthy and functional and, yes, attractive.

There are two stories of how I made it to goal: One is the story of how I learned how to diet responsibly through trial and error and a lot of bad days. How I learned the calorie counts of everything, how I stopped eating out of boredom, how I learned to be ambivalent about cookies and excited about exercise. The second is the story of saying "no", of binging on entire boxes of chocolate, of wondering whether I should purge for more than one split second before catching myself at the edge of sanity and reaffirming positive promises to myself.

As I begin a commitment to maintenance, I want to remember and be held responsible for both the good and the bad. Health is good, obsession is not. As "featherweights", it's far easier for us to be on that line than most women. Achieving my "goal weight" is nothing compared to staying there, happily, with a positive relationship toward food and fitness and myself.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/245.5/170

WAY TO GO!!!

I WILL be there one day. =)
healthierME1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Congratulations, Lackadaisy! Thanks for your post! It is really insightful and inspiring. I wish you the best in your maintenance journey...
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on reaching goal - I've read a few of your post and I enjoy how honest and genuine you are about your journey. I wish you the best of luck with maintenance!
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

That's amazing! Post a picture!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4

You're right on so many points! Maintenance is hard, and even when you reach that "ideal" or "goal" weight, a lot of the times it doesn't look the way you thought that it would. I am fairly happy with my body, but sure, there are little things I would change and continue to work on.

I've been having some issues lately dealing with urges to eat because "I'm maintaining" and "I deserve it" and because of that I've regained a couple of pounds. Granted, I had fallen way below the weight I consider ideal for myself, so a few pounds gained was a good thing, but it's still hard to see that increase.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #7  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Thanks for the responses and encouragement, guys -- I really appreciate it

JossFit, I think you're right about how difficult it to to love your body at a smaller size and stop thinking "If I were skinnier..." while also not thinking this is a time to 'relax' and 'enjoy', because that's how scale creep begins *immediately*.

I wonder about what the best solution is. Maybe it is just a "perpetual diet" -- a slight calorie deficit most of the time, so I don't have to worry about how much I'm eating when I go to a truly nice restaurant and I don't want to limit myself at all.

krampus, definitely will soon! I need excuses to be photographed wearing less clothing first... and better-fitting clothes, because they are now in scarce supply in my closet!

Last edited by lackadaisy; 05-01-2012 at 01:58 PM.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote