Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/106/96

Height: 5'2

Default How Many Pounds Does it Take to Make a Visible Difference on Your Frame?

Over the years, my weight has gone up and down. I get on the scale daily and know how my clothes fit so I know my weight pretty well. It appears to take quite a bit of loss before there is any noticeable difference. Sometimes it can be discouraging. Let's compare...

1) Current weight
2) How tall are you?
3) Are you generally a small/medium/large build?
4) How many pounds do you have to lose before YOU can see it?
5) How many before people start to comment?

I'm:
1) 124
2) Just under 5'3
3) small-medium
4) 10-15 lbs
5) 20+ lbs

You would think on someone relatively small that a 10-15 lbs loss would be noticeable, but it really isn't.
Soon2BSlender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

1) 140
2) 5'6"
3) medium
4) 5-10
5) 15-20

I'm also surpised..I recently lost 10lbs and no one but my best friend has send anything..and she knows im trying to lose weight. Although other people, like my boyfriend and my boss have commented that I 'look good' lately. I feel like i'll have to drop 10 more lbs before people really notice.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #3  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

(Almost the same as LisaT ...)

1) ~ 140
2) 5'6"
3) small/medium
4) ~ 5 lbs or less for me to notice (I certainly noticed recently when I went from 135 to 138/140 - clothes don't fit)
5) Hard to say; I wear different clothes when I weigh different weights so someone might just comment that I look "good". Plus people have learned from experience NOT to comment on my weight! But for sure 15 lbs is enough (from 152 to 137, people definitely noticed).

Do you *know* that no one can tell if you have lost less than 20 lbs, or are people just not coming forward to comment about it? I agree that less than 20 lbs should be really noticeable on someone 5'3" with a smallish frame. Maybe your clothes are such that it is hard for people to tell?

[ETA: Also, did you take any comparison photos? Like in the same clothing? I "feel" the same now as I did at 152 lbs but I took some photos when I started and again when I first dropped below 140 lbs and the results are DRAMATICALLY different.

Oh and another thing, 125 lbs on you should be (roughly) 140 lbs on me, 3 inches taller, and that is the point where I really start to see changes with slight changes in weight ... sooooo maybe you have now reached the point where you are going to notice changes with many fewer pounds ]

Last edited by EmmaD; 11-14-2011 at 11:58 AM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #4  

Emma,

My friends comment that they believe me when I've gained or lost 10 pounds, but that they just don't see either on me. It's something they know I struggle with so as soon as they do notice they definitely comment because they know it makes me happy. I don't know if it's just the way I carry my weight. I also don't change sizes. Anywhere from 135-120 lbs I am a size 25 jeans 32/34DD. At 120lbs and below my jeans get noticeably roomier and my face starts to slim down. I am very much an hour-glass, but I carry a lot of weight in my arms and face. Really hoping to break that 120 barrier soon!

I didn't purposely take comparison shots, but I have photos of me in the same clothes at different weights... it's not in my mind. I think most of my clothes show my figure pretty well, but maybe I'm wrong. It's all about my chubby arms!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

1) Current weight

2) How tall are you?
5' 3"

3) Are you generally a small/medium/large build?
Large frame

4) How many pounds do you have to lose before YOU can see it?
I'm not really sure. I weight lift so I've seen changes even when the scale hasn't moved. One time I stayed the same weight for over two weeks yet dropped more than a dress size!

5) How many before people start to comment?
Every time I lose inches, people notice. I can't really say how many pounds it is, because that seems to be different each time. Although I do seem to lose the inches first and then the pounds a few days later.

People notice more frequently now than previously. When I was closer to my starting weight, it often took 10 pounds to get people to notice. Now it seems to take a lot less.

I wonder if it has something to do with frame size? Because I'm large-framed I'm technically within a healthy weight for my height and can't really lose more than 10 pounds. So I'm getting close to the end of that range. Then again I also started at a much higher weight, so it's a pretty dramatic change overall.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

1) Current weight 172lbs
2) How tall are you? 5'6"
3) Are you generally a small/medium/large build? Large but with a small ribcage
4) How many pounds do you have to lose before YOU can see it? Like sontaikle said, whenever I lose inches. It really depends. I've had a plateau for 6 weeks and lost a ton of inches whereas I've also dropped 10lbs and only lost one inch from my waist during that period.
5) How many before people start to comment? That's a bit tricky to say. I moved half way through my weight loss journey so nobody where I live now has seen me at more than 194lbs. I have had one friend comment (but she knew I was trying to lose because she's a gym friend) and one friend at work say that something looked different but nobody has actually. I should say that I work with mostly males and they aren't always the most observant when it comes to other's appearances at that so I would actually be surprised if I got any comments ever. Now, when I visit friends from where we lived before, I imagine I'll get some, we'll see!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #7  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

1) Current weight 121lb
2) How tall are you? 5'4"
3) Are you generally a small/medium/large build? medium
4) How many pounds do you have to lose before YOU can see it? 4lb to see but i can feel it after only about 2lb
5) How many before people start to comment? not sure, they're noticing 15lb of recent effort though.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #8  

I have started on tge ip diet 4 weeks ago, lost two ponds first week, lost 3 ponds in the second week and I have not lost anything since for the past 2.5 weeks. I am following the diet by word. Have not cheated since I started. Getting very discouraged and tired. What should o Do???
Saranasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #9  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

Current weight 122
Height 5' 0.7"
Small frame
Between 10-15 lb for me to "see" it and for others to notice.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #10  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BSlender View Post
Emma,

My friends comment that they believe me when I've gained or lost 10 pounds, but that they just don't see either on me. It's something they know I struggle with so as soon as they do notice they definitely comment because they know it makes me happy. I don't know if it's just the way I carry my weight. I also don't change sizes. Anywhere from 135-120 lbs I am a size 25 jeans 32/34DD. At 120lbs and below my jeans get noticeably roomier and my face starts to slim down. I am very much an hour-glass, but I carry a lot of weight in my arms and face. Really hoping to break that 120 barrier soon!

I didn't purposely take comparison shots, but I have photos of me in the same clothes at different weights... it's not in my mind. I think most of my clothes show my figure pretty well, but maybe I'm wrong. It's all about my chubby arms!
I am also an hour-glass. I love everything about my body shape. I, too, carry a lot of weight in my arms and face. I have lost the weight in my face and still waiting for the fats in my arms to go away. I think my arms will be the last place to go. One of my sisters also have the same body shape and she carries most of her weight in her arms as well.

I'm waiting to "fit" into size 25 jeans. Depending on the brand, some are snug and some doesnt button. I'm a size 26 now but I have to use a belt because my waist is small in comparison to my thighs. Oh thunder thighs......how I dislike thee.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #11  

I've been at 124 for 6 days now... very frustrating! I like everything about my body except my arms. It takes getting under 110 for my arms to slim down at all. At 115 I still have very chunky arms which makes the rest of me look bigger in photos. I must start toning them!

Really want to get to the noticeable zone. It's hard to stay motivated when nobody can see the difference (especially when the darn scale is stubborn)!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler832 View Post
I am also an hour-glass. I love everything about my body shape. I, too, carry a lot of weight in my arms and face. I have lost the weight in my face and still waiting for the fats in my arms to go away. I think my arms will be the last place to go. One of my sisters also have the same body shape and she carries most of her weight in her arms as well.
Funny, I'm also hourglass-ish and also carry a lot of weight in my upper arms (although almost none in my face). I never made a connection there, I wonder if it's pretty common?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #13  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Funny, I'm also hourglass-ish and also carry a lot of weight in my upper arms (although almost none in my face). I never made a connection there, I wonder if it's pretty common?
Your post and the other one made me look at my arms in more detail than I probably should

I'm an hourglass too and until recently I carried a good amount of weight in my arms. I find that quite a lot of it is gone now and I can finally see the muscle definition in my arms that I've worked so hard for!

Right now a fair amount of weight is stored on my middle. Trying to get rid of that now, but I know it's really difficult to get rid of. Lucky I don't have a beer belly or anything like that, so I'm grateful.

Last edited by sontaikle; 11-15-2011 at 12:03 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/133.4/123

okay, here we go...

1. current weight: 137.8
2. height: 5'6"
3. small-medium
4. depends... when I had a lot of weight to lose, it took a lot for me to notice... now that I have less to lose, it takes only a couple of pounds... especially in so far as how I fit into my clothing...
5. well...I lost 20-25 pounds and my friends husband was still calling me "husky"...grrr...that really did it for me. some people noticed the 25 pound loss... then again, I lost 5 pounds and my uncle said I looked good and had I lost some weight...

I lose weight off my face really quick... My face, if you chopped off my head, would make me a very thin person... but I'm not, it's just the cheekbones.. ...the arms are hard, like everyone has been saying, but not for the same reason. I used to be a swimmer and have swimmer shoulders and arms... so it's very hard to get rid of latent muscle... it's not my arms that are my problem, it's the belly button to mid thigh danger zone...I have the typical "girl love handles" on my thighs.. (I know you really wanted to know that)...I'm disproportionate as I have really skinny calves, pretty thin arms, a thin face, and round everything in between...I'd love a flat belly at this point...I figure I'd better lose the weight now while I still have a metabolism.

eek... I hope this wasn't tmi...
catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Catgirl - I'm the same as you thin face, legs and arms but round in the middle.
When I was a kid people used to say I looked like a bumble bee

My cheek bones and collar bones stick out but I still have an huge belly and love handles.
Its so frustrating.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote