Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Default Help! It's hard being a featherweight!

So I pretty much started with only 20 pounds to lose, and now I've got about 15 pounds to go. (I am trying to get off the baby weight from having my last kid. I started trying to lose at about 125 lbs, and I'd like to get down about 105. I'm short... just 5' tall... so 105 isn't too skinny for me.)

I don't have a lot of time to exercise, so I am trying to drop the weight by calorie counting. But at this weight, my calories have to be SO LOW to lose anything (especially relatively quickly... like 1-2 pounds per week). I feel like I'm hungry all the time. Or I kind of get obsessed about food. (Like I ask Hubby what he ate for lunch, or I watch him eat when he's eating something yummy.)

I don't believe in deprivation and I think it leads to binges (or, at least, it always has for me). But I don't know any other way to get the weight off

I've always had a very hearty appetite. Before I had kids, I could eat 2,000 calories a day and gain a pound a year (and I wasn't exercising). But I guess having children and getting older has reduced my metabolism a bit.

What's a featherweight to do? Where do you find the willpower to stay on plan?
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

For me...I run. Running ensures that I can eat any foods I want (in moderation), and lose or maintain my weight with ease. I too LOVE food and am not a fan of deprivation...I'd rather be fat than to starve myself.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 137/115/107

Height: 5'2"

It's amazing how much changes from having kids! I used to be the same (tiny, lost weight fast and easily, and gained very little even when eating a lot), but after having my 2nd boy I'm shocked at how hard it is to lose weight.

I started by cutting my calories in half, and that did next to nothing. You're right, calorie intake has to be next to nothin to lose that way these days. So I had to add exercise.

Can you walk or jog with your children? How old are they? Or can you join a gym that has a babysitter? Can you do workout DVDs? Or try at home exercises that include your kids?

If you just can't workout I guess you'll have to cut your calories more... I feel you on the problems regarding deprivation and binging. I'll be completely honest and tell you what I do... even though it is a bit embarrassing, lol. Where do I find the willpower? I like to watch the food channel or food shows (when I have the down time and I'm craving foods I don't need). I don't like cooking shows, I like Top Chef, Man vs. Food, Rocco's Dinner Party, Food Network Star... for some reason they help me fill my food cravings.

I also get out of my house, start cleaning, take a shower or find other things to distract me. I really find the less cravings (& I'm talking about eating when I don't need to eat) I give into, the less I have. Another way to stick to the plan is to plan my indulgences ahead of time. If I know I'll let myself have a treat at the end of the week, I don't crave them (or give into the cravings) in the middle of the week.

HTH! Good luck!
skinny fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

I know about food obessions all too well, I worry about it every single day of my life. It's something I think will never really go away just all addictions you just have to keep it in check. I know one thing is that I have to exercise in order to loose and maintain, there is just no getting around that. I can't starve myself which I would have to if I didnt exercise.

Start an exercise that you enjoy and is something easly like walking a few miles a day. The key is to do it on regular basis, it doesn't have to be gruling every time.
SweetyKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

I totally understand.. I'm short, and while I'm still 25 pounds away from my goal, I think I've screwed up my metabolism a bit with some previous dieting attempts which makes it harder to lose now.

My first tip is maybe an unpopular one - lower the carbs and raise both the fat and protein. It really makes you SO MUCH LESS hungry, which is the only way I can put up with a pretty low calorie intake that I need to lose weight. (It's also good for weight loss for other reasons but that's a topic for another thread.) I'm not saying you need to go crazy low carb, but it's worth cutting them down a bit. I keep mine under 100g every day. If I'm not hungry, it's not as hard to talk myself out of a craving.

My second tip: If you can't increase the exercise quantity, then increase the intensity! If you're going to lift, lift heavy.. if you're going to run, sprint.. etc. One of my favorite sources is http://bodyrock.tv since the workouts are mostly short (a lot are 12 minutes or less) but they will kick your butt, even if you're not in great shape and have to do modified versions of things (like me).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #6  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I'm a SAHM and have made it a priority to make it to the gym several times a week. My oldest is 2 and my yougest is 5 months and it's become 75 minutes of sanity for me! If you have a gym with childcare (like the Y) maybe this could be an option for you?
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 130/126.8/120

I totally feel your pain!

I'm 5'2 and have been trying to get down to 120 or under since Thanksgiving!

Do you have a Work out World in your area? They offer childcare and if you can make it there for some cardio at least 3 days a week, combined with your calorie cut it should kick start the weight loss.

Good luck!
ImOnAMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #8  

Thanks for the suggestions and support! I'm a SAHM, too. A gym membership is a little bit out of my price range right now. Besides, Hubby would kill me for spending the $$$, especially since we have a fully equipped gym downstairs (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, weight bench, weights, dumbbells, medicine ball, etc).

Basically, I need to find a way to get my rear end out of bed before everyone else is awake. Unfortunately, I am such a night owl. Mornings are... painful.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and support! I'm a SAHM, too. A gym membership is a little bit out of my price range right now. Besides, Hubby would kill me for spending the $$$, especially since we have a fully equipped gym downstairs (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, weight bench, weights, dumbbells, medicine ball, etc).

Basically, I need to find a way to get my rear end out of bed before everyone else is awake. Unfortunately, I am such a night owl. Mornings are... painful.
Why aren't you using the gym that is so readily available for you ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #10  

Short answer: no time. I hate mornings, the kids don't give me a break during the day, and I am wiped out by the time hubby comes home from work. I have been doing pushups and squats and stuff during the day while I care for the kids, but finding 40 minutes solid to workout hasn't happened yet. In a few months the youngest will be big enough for the jogging stroller, so I will at least be able to drive somewhere to run with the kids.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

If you're that tired, then I wouldn't go for a big calorie deficit, it'll just make the fatigue worse. I'm an inch shorter than you and I'm only on a 400 calorie deficit, and losing 1lb a week (possibly a smidgen more) quite happily. Ignore all those tall people who are working with calorie deficits of 1000, it's fine at their altitude but it's not possible for shorties like us.

Managing exercises in short bursts throughout the day sounds fine to me. You can always get a stopwatch and put it on every time you exercise, so that you can see how much you've accomplished by the end of the day. Running around after young children is pretty good exercise as well. The idea here is to find something that you can live with comfortably, not to work yourself into the ground!

Another useful tip: vegetables are great for adding bulk without adding much in the way of calories. Switch to wholegrains as well, it adds fibre and vitamins and makes you feel fuller without doing much to the calories. Are you getting enough fat in your diet? That's important for satiety.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #12  

To address the morning thing: If you start early, it gets easier, but it takes a long time. However, my youngest is 9. I'm not nearly as tired as when they were babies, so I don't think going early is going to be successful for you.

To address the short burst theory: Yes, short bursts throughout the day are equally effective for calorie burning as all at once.

I just read evidence that debunks the "fat burning zone" theory that is SO blantently present in fitness today. The theory that if you workout (cardio) in you "target heart rate zone" for "fat burning" is the way to lose more fat is misleading. Yes, the calories you are burning are coming from fat cells. However, we burn calories from other energy-providing cells as well.

So if you consider that the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in, it shouldn't matter what type of cells provide the energy.

The info I got was from the National Academy of Sports Medicine, in their text for getting your personal training certification. The book recommends finding something the client likes to do and burn according to their likes and abilities. The main point was you don't have to force a client who hates running to only run for 30 minutes a day at target zone for fat burning heart rate to be successful. You can advise your client to run, lift, play, spin, swim, whatever, at multiple increments a day and as long as they're aware of their calorie intake and know they burned more than they ate, then there will be success.

There were a lot of suggestions in a thread about how to get in exercise with little kids recently (I don't know how to link). I'm pretty sure you read it, if I remember correctly. Some had great suggestions.

I'm sure you'll be successful. Give yourself some time. Yes, you can be the best mommy when you are fit and feel great, but don't forget that your title right now is Mommy, not anything comes before that.

Enjoy them while they're young. It doesn't last forever.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #13  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
So I pretty much started with only 20 pounds to lose, and now I've got about 15 pounds to go. (I am trying to get off the baby weight from having my last kid. I started trying to lose at about 125 lbs, and I'd like to get down about 105. I'm short... just 5' tall... so 105 isn't too skinny for me.)

I don't have a lot of time to exercise, so I am trying to drop the weight by calorie counting. But at this weight, my calories have to be SO LOW to lose anything (especially relatively quickly... like 1-2 pounds per week). I feel like I'm hungry all the time. Or I kind of get obsessed about food. (Like I ask Hubby what he ate for lunch, or I watch him eat when he's eating something yummy.)

I don't believe in deprivation and I think it leads to binges (or, at least, it always has for me). But I don't know any other way to get the weight off

I've always had a very hearty appetite. Before I had kids, I could eat 2,000 calories a day and gain a pound a year (and I wasn't exercising). But I guess having children and getting older has reduced my metabolism a bit.

What's a featherweight to do? Where do you find the willpower to stay on plan?
I run and do kettlebells. Both things have made such a difference in my overall health and shape. I've had kids too and I'm in better shape than I was before I had them. I was always resistent to cardio and eating cleanly but I decided to give both a try (along with the kettlebells) and I'm liking what I see in the mirror for the first time, maybe ever, lol. Hope this helps. P.S. It is hard to lose the baby weight, I totally agree.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #14  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

(hugs) Everyone is giving really great advice for exercise so I'll talk about food.

Best way I manage to eat low calories is to have three meals a day that are split equally. I'm on 1200 cals a day so I have 400 calories for breakfast, 400 calories for lunch and 400 for dinner. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but I have a hard time fitting 400 cals into breakfast usually have things like turkey bacon wraps and cereal/yoghurt and fruit or something and it really fills me up which means I don't crave food for the rest of the day so when lunchtime rolls around, I make better choices.

I found that when I had small breakfasts and lunches and bigger dinners I felt more deprived by dinner time and was more likely to overeat. I also try to eat at the same time everyday (not always possible) and found I only get hungry around meal times. I'm not a snacker, I never have been but some people prefer to have smaller meals and snacks, just experiment and find out what works for you.

Last edited by belmagick; 07-11-2011 at 11:07 AM.
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #15  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
My first tip is maybe an unpopular one - lower the carbs and raise both the fat and protein. It really makes you SO MUCH LESS hungry, which is the only way I can put up with a pretty low calorie intake that I need to lose weight. (It's also good for weight loss for other reasons but that's a topic for another thread.) I'm not saying you need to go crazy low carb, but it's worth cutting them down a bit. I keep mine under 100g every day. If I'm not hungry, it's not as hard to talk myself out of a craving.

My second tip: If you can't increase the exercise quantity, then increase the intensity! If you're going to lift, lift heavy.. if you're going to run, sprint.. etc. One of my favorite sources is http://bodyrock.tv since the workouts are mostly short (a lot are 12 minutes or less) but they will kick your butt, even if you're not in great shape and have to do modified versions of things (like me).
Yes to both of those. Especially increasing your protein. The only way I'm able to eat less calories is when I'm eating A LOT of protein (I also lift/exercise quite a bit so it's really needed for me).

What about something short like the 30Day Shred video? I used to do that while DD was taking a nap or right after she went to bed. For a long time it was the only way I could get a workout in. Mornings were NOT happening for me. Also, try to get at least two workouts on the weekend and have your DH watch the kids.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote