Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/122ish/120

Height: 5'4"

Default Am I Crazy, Or Just Desperate?

Happy Sunday Feathers!

I've chosen to post here because I know I won't get lambasted but rather receive the sound, objective advice and support I have come to rely on from fellow feathers who I know understand me. No, I am not overweight but have been there. Yes, the "few pounds" I want to lose are most certainly vanity weight but that doesn't diminish how horrific they make me feel and their psychological impact. Having said that, I am about to start a bottle of "Oxyelite Pro," which is a thermogenic, weight-loss supplement to help me get back on track.

I have literally read hundreds of reviews to make sure I know what I am getting into because I have never, ever tried anything like this before. I am SO, SO skeptical of these things but am at my wits' end. My weight loss journey thus far has been common sensical: lower calories, healthy food choices and more exercise. I had been happily maintaining in the 120 - 122 range for years but in the past few months have had many, many issues that have thrown my body for a loop. I've had health scares, painful arguments with my best friend and mother, incredible work stress and layoffs, you name it, it happened. My eating habits haven't changed per se and my workouts remain just as frequent. But, because of the inevitable stress and depression, I have been indulging more in sweets and "allowing" myself extra servings (even though it's of a "good" meal...like an extra cup of brown rice, or two servings of oatmeal instead of one, or more avocado in my salad) and sure enough I've gained about 7 lbs since December. I know, not much, but for someone who was overweight once and gains weight rapidly I am terrified of it creeping back up again. Not to mention that I am frustrated beyond words at the fact that the scale hasn't budged even though I have practically starved myself (I know, not good) and developed callouses on my toes from jogging so much over the past three weeks -- seriously, how is that even possible? Not even 1 freakin' pound?!

So, this is a last-ditch effort, perhaps it's the boost I am lacking and I am praying it works. I will continue with my lower-carb, higher fat and protein regimen, hit the gym most days a week and also go to my bootcamp - in - the - park twice a week that's starting Tuesday. I hope to God this thing helps me break through this plateau and return to my comfortable weight. All's I need is 6 pounds off and I will be happy again...been miserably uncomfortable for too long.

Let me end by saying I am not expecting this to be a miracle pill that'll just shed the pounds for me -- I have been on this journey too long to know better. I am recommiting myself to the process as if I were back at 155, and will continue to be dedicated and determined in my workouts. Heck, I have been travelling for work these past two weeks and got up every day at 5am just so I could hit the gym because I knew I wasn't going to have time later in the day. I can do this, right?! What do you think?
leblebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

I know how you feel ... it happening to me to.

I was at 128 in December and I am right now 136-135 how I do know , what I am doing know , is what I did to lose the weight ... Sometimes I fell like , I am getting crazy , I did low carb , on Feb i think , went down to 132 , but I ate some carb , and went right back to 135 ...

So what I am doing is just keep my half marathon running training and try to stick to my calories , having no more than 1 cheat meal a week, no limits are all , if I want bread it OK , just whit in my calories.

I also stop weight ny self dayli this week , the number in the scale was affecting me , if was low , yeah I can have some treat , if i was high , who cares anyways is high. So I am weigh in my self just Monday.

And yes we can do this ....... we will I will see my 115 one day , maybe no tomorrow or in a month , but I will see it.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #3  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

I dont know a single thing about the product you are going to try - so I wont even comment there...

But a few other random suggestions that help me:
1) eating flat belly foods (I feel like when my body is too busy digesting, even good foods it can slow weight loss. I dont follow their diet, but do loosely follow the foods to avoid and those to eat: http://www.prevention.com/health/wei...lat-belly-diet)
2) eating 'weight loss superstars'. I sooo agree with this list! http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2010/03...oss-superstars
3) hydration, hydration, hydration! If your not getting enough water your body passes some of the work of the kidneys off to the liver. The liver helps metabolize flat and you want it doing its main job not helping the kidneys. Also, when you loose fat the cells at first fill with water, so you really need extra water. I try to drink 2 liters a day.
4) drink other good stuff: oolong tea is a not well known superstar (along with green tea and coffee). Also Im recently *hooked* on hot water with lemon, truvia/stevia and some cayenne pepper. Helps rev your metabolism. Apple cider vinegar is also shown to help people, you can google its weight loss/insulin effects.
5) dry body brushing! Takes so little time and really stimulates your lymphatic system (which unlike your circulatory system doesnt have a pump of its own). There is a short set of instructions on the bottom of this page: http://www.detoxdivas.com/Detoxdivas..._brushing.html
6) destress. If you cant remove some of the stressors you mentioned, try some things to destress (meditate, get a massage, do something nice for a stranger, volunteer, etc). Cortisol levels skyrocket under stress (even passive stress) and this wreaks havoc on weight loss efforts.

*hugs*

Oh and one more thing..
Maybe check out the Intermittent Fasting thread, Im currently *fascinated* by that concept.

You will get past this btw and good job not letting it sprial out of control. Keep us posted

Last edited by xty; 03-27-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: one more thing!
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #4  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xty View Post
5) dry body brushing! Takes so little time and really stimulates your lymphatic system (which unlike your circulatory system doesnt have a pump of its own). There is a short set of instructions on the bottom of this page: http://www.detoxdivas.com/Detoxdivas..._brushing.html
)
I felt relaxed just watching that video! This is something I'm going to give a whirl, I love all the natural remedy type stuff.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Have you tried returning to calorie counting and not starving yourself or over indulging?

Last edited by seagirl; 03-27-2011 at 04:32 PM.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by xty View Post
I dont know a single thing about the product you are going to try - so I wont even comment there...

But a few other random suggestions that help me:
1) eating flat belly foods (I feel like when my body is too busy digesting, even good foods it can slow weight loss. I dont follow their diet, but do loosely follow the foods to avoid and those to eat: http://www.prevention.com/health/wei...lat-belly-diet)
2) eating 'weight loss superstars'. I sooo agree with this list! http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2010/03...oss-superstars
3) hydration, hydration, hydration! If your not getting enough water your body passes some of the work of the kidneys off to the liver. The liver helps metabolize flat and you want it doing its main job not helping the kidneys. Also, when you loose fat the cells at first fill with water, so you really need extra water. I try to drink 2 liters a day.
4) drink other good stuff: oolong tea is a not well known superstar (along with green tea and coffee). Also Im recently *hooked* on hot water with lemon, truvia/stevia and some cayenne pepper. Helps rev your metabolism. Apple cider vinegar is also shown to help people, you can google its weight loss/insulin effects.
6) destress. If you cant remove some of the stressors you mentioned, try some things to destress (meditate, get a massage, do something nice for a stranger, volunteer, etc). Cortisol levels skyrocket under stress (even passive stress) and this wreaks havoc on weight loss efforts.

*hugs*

Oh and one more thing..
Maybe check out the Intermittent Fasting thread, Im currently *fascinated* by that concept.

You will get past this btw and good job not letting it sprial out of control. Keep us posted
xty: thank you, thank you, thank you for your very thoughtful and supportive response. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this. I will check out the fasting thread as well as watch the dry brushing video. Who knew?! I am so flustered at the moment I will try anything. The good news is...I already drink at least two liters of water a day which is good. I was also thrilled to know that on a regular basis I also eat most of the super foods --with the exception of parmesan. I will look at the Flat Belly Diet foods more closely as well...

Thanks again! I am looking forward to all other suggestions coming my way
Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Have you tried returning to calorie counting and not starving yourself or over indulging?
Hi seagirl...oh yes I have. That's what i had been doing until yesterday when i started bingeing out of sheer frustration. it really does seem as if i am stuck. also, even though I have checked many times, it seems my BMR is 1,300 which is already quite low. so i have been trying to stick to a calorie range of 1000 to 1200 and exercising more. There have also been days when i've eaten as low as 900...NOTHING!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/ticker/120

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

I have tried thermogenics in the past and have always quit. I don't feel well after taking them. It's like having a speed buzz with a headache all day. I lost minimal weight and gained it all back. I should have saved my money. When it comes to weight loss.... I've accepted that slow and steady is the only way for me. It's been along road and a difficult one to accept!
thelast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #9  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

I watched the dry-skin brushing video (I'm at work on a Sunday morning, hurray). And I also could feel myself relaxing just WATCHING that video - it's funny how even imagining something soothing is soothing itself.

Sorry that's off topic but I was fascinated by that effect!

Leblebi: I'm afraid that I have no experience with the product you're trying but I'm sending you positive vibes for success in your endeavors!

Last edited by JayZeeJay; 04-03-2011 at 12:20 PM.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #10  

Height: 5'3

I dont know anything about those pills but I have taken others in the past:
dexatrim - nah
metabolite - gave me the worst breath ever and didn't work
phen-phen - worked like a charm but now not available.
I dont see any harm in giving it a try. You've definitely read up on it.

You mentioned you've been nearly starving yourself and jogging a lot. I've been doing that for the past 6 weeks. I was eating 1000-maybe 1200 calories a day and running 3 miles a day and seeing very minimal change. Last week I increased my calories to 1600 (though I usually only got to 1400-1500) and I lost 2.5 lbs.

Also maybe try calorie zigzagging. Probably similar to the intermittent fasting.
What about changing your workout? Could you add more weights?
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnamadonna1013 View Post

You mentioned you've been nearly starving yourself and jogging a lot. I've been doing that for the past 6 weeks. I was eating 1000-maybe 1200 calories a day and running 3 miles a day and seeing very minimal change. Last week I increased my calories to 1600 (though I usually only got to 1400-1500) and I lost 2.5 lbs.

Also maybe try calorie zigzagging. Probably similar to the intermittent fasting.
What about changing your workout? Could you add more weights?
Thanks for the good vibes -- I am on my second week today and weighed myself. Not where I'd like to be, but less I am sure (even though I didn't weigh myself when I started.) I feel tighter and smaller and clothes are fitting as they should -- perhaps it has a toning effect? Who know. No adverse side effects and maybe it's a placebo thing so I am sticking with it.

I will try to up to 1,600 and see what happens -- can't hurt for a week or so. Yesterday I went on a 5-hour hike and was famished by the time I cam home so I think I ate about 2,000 calories' worth of "good stuff." I just didn't count it I was so tired at that point and felt my body needed the extra nourishment. I am exercising a little more than usual and do try to switch it up.

Thanks again...I will keep you guys posted on my progress.