Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenetJen View Post
Zumba's an aerobic, latin-inspired dance class. Fast-paced, you never stop moving. I like to think my HR monitor is pretty accurate (It's a Polar F6), but I've never burned so many calories inside of one hour. It's based on HR and weight, and my HR was definitely up there the whole time! I usually knock off about 75 per hour to account for my BMR, so I'm hopefully underestimating most of the time. In this case, I took it from 792 to an even 700 which still seems high.
Wow! That is AWESOME! I need to find a Zumba class where I live. I would love to burn that much in an hour! You go girl!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 155/98.2/100

Height: 4'10.5"

I love this idea! Today I did a lot. I started the day with 45 mins of Turbo Jam Cardio Party 2 and ended it with a 2 hour, 6 mile hike with friends.

It felt so good!
chickapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

OH I am so jealous Chickapea!! That sounds like so much fun (hiking for 2 hours with friends). I wish I had more time to do fun things like that
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 155/98.2/100

Height: 4'10.5"

I'm struggling with time management as well - it's easy on the weekends - we just get up early on a Saturday morning and meet up at a trail head somewhere but during the week, it can vary so much depending on friends' schedules and when you can get out of work and, etc. But I'm trying to make it a point to do it twice a week, whether it's just me and DH, or a whole gang of folks.

Yesterday I did Jillian's No More Trouble Zones DVD which is about 50 minutes of sculpting moves. It was my first time and while it wasn't exactly fun, I'm glad I did it and plan on doing it at least once a week.

Today I did 45 mins of Turbo Jam Punch, Kick and Jam. Phew! I'm trying to do something every day and so far it's been working.
chickapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Height: 5'4"

Zumba is one of THE hardest workouts I have ever done, and I am a triathlete! I can totally believe your heart rate got close to 190!

This week's workouts:
Sunday--ran 9 miles in a mountain race, straight up and straight down a mountain. I got 1st place in the women's division! Max heart rate:190; average heart rate: 178. Calories burned, according to my heart rate monitor: 900ish

Monday: recovering from race
Tuesday: recovering from race
Wednesday: 1 mile swim at the pool in the morning; 1 mile swim in the lake in the evening.
Thursday: light gym workout--45 minutes of elliptical
Friday: Rest day for triathlon
Saturday: sprint triathlon: 750 yard swim, 13.5 mile bike ride, and 4 mile run. Total time: 93 minutes.
Sunday: rest day

This week included a lot of rest days, which is unusual for me, but with two major races in one week I did not want to get injured! My plan for this week: lots of swimming, strength training, a "stroke and stride" on Thursday for a brick workout, and another triathlon on Saturday.

Last edited by kwinkle; 07-25-2010 at 05:02 PM.
kwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:06 AM   #21  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Kwinkle, congratulations on your success! That's wonderful.

In a different part of the movement continuum, my current exercise and movement plan includes:

Callanetics and stretching, usually one hour a day.
Walking: 30 or 40 minutes.
Rebounding: minimum 20 minutes.
Watering plants (carrying buckets of water) and gardening: varies from 20 - 120 minutes a day
Other stretches, strength exercises, wee dances, etc., in the living room, just to enjoy moving, and feel wonderfully alive.

I wish you all a lovely day!

Last edited by SilverLife; 07-26-2010 at 06:07 AM. Reason: correct typing error
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #22  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Back from a fun weekend trip to see a coworker get married! It was a calorific weekend, but that's OK - back on plan today.

I biked to work and I will bike home. I don't want to push it too hard so I think I will try going to the gym only on days when I don't bike - at least for now until I get a bit stronger.

Happy Monday everyone!
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #23  
Alli

S/C/G: 230/195/165

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne042425 View Post
Genetjen,

What is Zumba and is your HR monitor correct? I want to get one of those! I am always curious as to how much I am actually burning! Also, I want to find a class I can take about 3x a week that burns more calories than what I normally do. I think I am averaging about 300 calories in my workouts. I would like to burn more considering the amount of carbs I am consuming. I would like to burn off some of that energy!
Dianne,

I know it completely depends on what gym you belong to, but I go to 24 hour fitness and they have tons of classes. I have tried a bunch of them and I really like the high impact cardio classes. They get me to do 45-60 minutes of cardio without getting bored. Plus, sometimes I can push myself to do a little bit extra before/after or some weight training. It really helps me stretch out my exercise per day. I saw in an earlier post that you were a cheerleader. I was, too! Not that it means we have the same taste, but I REALLY enjoy turbo kickboxing at my gym. I went through a phase of also loving Zumba, but haven't been into it lately. When others in the classes wear bodybugg, they have told me they burn 400-800 calories in those classes. They are both really high energy and fun choreography. Kickbox is what is sounds like--kickboxing moves in a cardio style. Different sets of choreography to great music. Zumba is a latin-based dance cardio class. The energy level really depends on the instructor. But, at it's best, it's also very high impact and fun choreography. They are both good for venting--whether it's through kicking and punching, or moving your body as it gets sexier and sexier :-)
abcunnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 AM   #24  
Alli

S/C/G: 230/195/165

Height: 5'6

Default My workouts

I aim for at least an hour workout 6 days/week. I am super proud if I can get some of them to an hour and a half or even 2 hours.

As I said in the previous post, I really enjoy the cardio-based gym classes. I also like the elliptical and treadmill. I try to do HIIT most days, but also mix it up with som endurance training at lower speeds. I HATE inclines, but I know I need to mix that in, too.

I've also been trying to integrate some weight training in. I did a bootcamp for about 2 months and gained some great muscle tone (hidden under fat). I couldn't pay for it anymore, so I stopped. But, for some dumb reason, I also stopped weight training on my own! I need to get back into it. It's not as rewarding for a calories in/out type of person--even thoug I know it will make me look better. That being said, I try to add that in every couple of days.

This week so far:
Monday--18 minutes treadmill HIIT, 15 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes abs/legs on the floor and stretching
Tuesday--15 minutes treadmill avg speed 10 min/mile, 60 minutes turbo kickboxing (45 min cardio, 15 min ab/stretching)
Wednesday--60 minutes turbo kickboxing (55 min cardio, 5 min stretching)
abcunnin is offline   Reply With Quote