Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/109/105

Height: 5'3

Default Getting Lazy...

Hey Featherweights! This is going to be a long post, but I need some motivation and would appreciate your thoughts and help!

I joined 3FC one year ago, and managed to lose 25-30 lbs. (I am 5'3.75 and last time I weighed I was around 120). I got really into exercise and in the past several months, very into running. I managed to break my sugar addiction, and honestly I never have the desire for junk food or dessert at all! I truly never eat ice cream, pizza, candy, or white flour foods, because they do not taste good to me anymore. For a "treat" I typically have a Luna bar, a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch, fruit, nuts, or hummus.

Lately, I've been getting REALLY lazy and TOO comfortable. Part of it probably has to do with the fact that things have been going GREAT in my life. A new boyfriend, getting into my top choice graduate school, and knowing that my college graduation is in one month is making me forget about hitting the gym 5 times a week! AND I'm scheduled to run a half marathon in September, so I really need to start getting down to business.

I know that I feel the best when I am 115 pounds, and it certainly takes time, healthy eating, and a decent amount of exercise to maintain that weight, but for me it's worth it. Although I've been being lazy about getting to the gym lately, the truth is that I love how I feel after I exercise, and I love going to the gym 5 times a week. I love the food that I eat, but sometimes I overeat it because it's "healthy food" so I don't feel to bad. Lately I've incorporated nuts into my diet, but I find that I can't stop myself at just the 1/4 cup serving. So unfortunately I think I may need to cut nuts back out. I am a vegetarian and get plenty of protein through non-fat and low-fat dairy, veggie meats, etc...

In all honesty, I've only taken 7-9 days off from the gym, but it's been more than 1 year since I have missed exercise more than 2 days in a row, so it's worrying me now. I'm going to the gym in about half an hour, so hopefully that'll make me feel better.

I just need to find the motivation (as if the encroaching bathing suit season isn't enough...) to limit my healthy foods to the portion size, and to be more careful about the drinks that I order when I go out with friends on the weekends. I'm going to try to stick to vodka/sugar free red bull, but sometimes I'll go for the gin & tonic or vodka/cran, and rack up unnecessary calories out of pure laziness.

I haven't weighed in about 2 weeks because I'm afraid of what the scale might say...I don't put too much emphasis on my weight, but I've noticed that taking these days off, my legs don't feel as tight and before and fitness/staying slim is very important to my health and happiness...so I'm thinking about 123 right now, if I had to guess, and I just want to get back on track mentally and physically to get back to (around) 115, or even 116/117 if 115 is too hard to maintain. Having a new boyfriend means going out to eat a lot, and living in a city with a lot to do means going out and drinking on the weekends, so I will be okay if 115 is not realistic at the point.

Has this happened to anyone? Any 5'3-5'4 girls? What's your happy weight? How often does everyone exercise to maintain/and or lose weight while already at a healthy weight? Losing weight is very tough for me, and gaining is very easy!

Any motivation, personal stories, tips, tricks, meal plans/exercise plans would be awesome. I just don't want to slip back into my unhealthy ways just because things are going so well right now! I want to be satisfied with all aspects of my life!
Biju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Hi there! Just wanted to say that I can relate to feeling lazy at times. It comes in waves......one week I'm super-motivated and on track, another week I slack a little. As I get closer to my goal, I tend to think this is "good enough" sometimes.

As far as motivation, I think staying healthy/living a healthier lifestyle is really the most motivating factor long term. Just the desire to treat your body better, not fill it with junk, and give yourself the chance for the heathiest life possible. These things help me.

Good luck to you!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 154/146.6/129

Height: 5'5

first of all I think it's great that you are even worried about getting lazy. I know part of the reason I was able to pack on 40 lbs in college was because I didn't even notice or care. Also, I was afraid to step on the scale, and didn't for about 5 years, but that doesn't do you any good! One day when you are feeling pretty positive maybe hop on with the intention of getting back to the gym if you are gaining, or at least getting a handle on where you are at. i understand the motivation issue - I am working on doing at least 4-5x at the gym a week, and almost every day it is a struggle but I keep looking at a really cute victoria's secret bikini I've picked out for this summer!

Good luck!
lisa130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Actually, taking a week off from the gym from time to time is recommended for muscle repair. Your body will thank you for it, and while you may find yourself a tad weaker when you go back, in the long run your body will be stronger for the break. I've been going to the gym for 20 years, and though it can be difficult to make myself do it, I do take a week off every now and then for just this reason.

So try not to worry too much about the time off. But now you need to get back to it. Even for someone who has been working out as long as I have, it can be difficult to get myself to go the gym some days. And if I have taken a week off? It is all the more difficult. I love exercise, but that doesn't mean I don't have my bad days. And on those days I just remind myself why I am doing it. It's a lifetime commitment for me. So I make myself go, whether I want to or not.

As to the other questions, losing weight is very easy for me. I can lose 2+ pounds a week on 1,750 to 2,000 calories. I'm immensely lucky that way. I had no idea that starting to lift weights when I was 17 would have such a profound effect on my metabolism. I am thankful every day that it has.

It is keeping it off that I am focused on now. The last time I got down to 113 from 129 I gained the weight back after falling off the wagon on a cruise. But that's because I had the wrong mindset. I was thinking that I was on a diet, and that, having gotten down to 113 I could let the diet slide a little. Instead, I just lost control. Now I realize it's a lifestyle change. I'm committed to eating right for life, and as such I have managed to go on vacation this time without gaining weight or feeling deprived. It's a start. I do think it is easier for me because I can eat a lot without gaining, but that doesn't mean I don't sometimes want to pig out. And I still largely avoid sugar, processed foods, and anything else that isn't good for me. But I have learned to allow myself an occasional treat without totally throwing in the towel. I remind myself that it is about more than a number on the scale. It is about clean living, and living a good, long time.

I'm looking at 108 as my final weight, but certainly no lower. I have been focused on removing the fat layer so that all the work I have done on my muscle shows through. Now I'll have to take a good, long look at myself and see if I am there at 111.

As for my workout routine, I only go three times a week, but I do cardio and full-body weight lifting on those three days.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 04-12-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote