Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7''

Default Gaining before losing?

Hi featherweights

I weigh in every day, sometimes even twice... I know it doesn't have that much sense, but it's very interesting to see the changes your body goes through the day - for example, I've noticed that before lunch I ALWAYS weigh a little less than in early morning... which apparently sounds weird, because I have a regular and energetic breakfast and drink a lot of water in the morning... but then I understand I retain a lot of water during the night time.

Anyway, the question is: have you ever experienced a little gain of weight and then quickly after it a relatively big loss? With no substantial changes in your daily menu/diet/plan, of course. Because I've noticed that if I weigh a little bit more for two days, then suddenly the third or fourth day... I weigh so much less! More than if I was "losing at pace" on day 1 e 2 too.
I'm not talking about a HUGE amount of weight, of course... but still this matter catches my attention.

Example: "ticker weight" 134
day 1 = 135 (with no reason)
day 2 = 136
day 3 = 135
day 4 = 133 (with no reason!)

Do you have any scientific reason for that?

Last edited by Julietta; 06-29-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Julietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #2  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I do and I am pretty sure for me it is hormonally related.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #3  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Absolutely - take the last four days for me:

Friday: 132.2
Saturday 132.8
Sunday 132.2
Monday: 130.6

Exactly the pattern you mention!
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

sodium intake, water retention, hormone fluctuations..

do you ever chart? I began charting my weights and noticed a pattern..I can almost predict when I will have a peak and a valley..

my weight also decreases mid-day...I count my first morning weight though consistently..I have also noticed that going to sleep makes my weight go down..if I stay up all night long and step on the scale my weight is up...even if I haven't eaten anything the hours I would have been asleep...then, when I go to sleep and wake up and re weigh--it goes down again...

Luckily, I usually sleep like a bear in hibernation.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7''

YES, I also weigh less if I sleep instead of staying up all night without eating anything... maybe it's a HINT, a motivation our body gives us: "please make me rest, I promise to lose weight!" EEHHE

And thanks, I will try to chart my weights... the idea of a predictable pattern makes me scientifically curious

Anyway, having this noticed makes me feel a little bit more relaxed when I weigh a little more (and helps me to avoid an ED binge). I'm learning not to freak out when I see a tiny higher number... I'm actually almost happy, because maybe a bigger loss is coming!

Last edited by Julietta; 06-29-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Julietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 145/119.5/110

Height: 5'1"

Yup. It can be frustrating, but at least I know it's not fat! When I see a really low number for the first time, I know it won't return for a few days...in fact I'll likely be WAY heavier, like 2 or 3 lbs, for a few days before I dip lower again. Of course water retention, etc., is to blame. I ate a million pickles today, which are loaded with sodium, so I am really scared to weigh myself!
BKKchick is offline   Reply With Quote