Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #16  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm in my early 20s, so drinking is definitely big in my social scene I try to only drink once a week though. It's not THAT hard, because my work is pretty demanding so I never do anything on weeknights (unless it's a company event). Basically, of the two nights a week I go out (Fri and Sat), I usually just cut the drinking on one. Lately on Fridays I've been staying in the office late to socialize and then go to a dive bar with a few of the managers, so it's a great networking opportunity, and I generally don't mind not drinking. It's a lot harder when I'm with all my peers who are tossing back shots.

Speaking of company events, tomorrow is our company holiday party, and I think I am not going to drink. In general, I don't like to have just one drink - it's not worth the calories. I either drink nothing and stay completely sober, or I drink a few and get completely drunk! I'm not entirely sure what kind of event this is, but since it's on a Thursday and I have a busy day of work on Friday, I'm assuming it's more of a professional event than an "everyone get drunk" event. We'll see. What's going to be toughest are the hors d'oeuvres, for sure.

Once a month our company sponsors a conference call with a nutritionist, and it was today. This month's topic was how to get through the holiday season without gaining weight, which I was very excited about. Unfortunately, the strategies weren't very practical. For example, the nutritionist said that she brings her own salad to corporate holiday parties so she can eat that instead of the unhealthy foods. I can't IMAGINE doing that! My coworkers already think I'm a crazy health nut because I bring my own lunch instead of ordering from whatever steakhouse or fattening Italian place is the choice of the day. Anyway, the best idea I heard on the call was to set one goal (just one, so you focus on it) for the holiday season. Mine is to work out at least 30 minutes/day, 6 days/week. And also to earn more DailyPlate badges for logging exercise on consecutive days

Anyone else have any good tips for surviving the holiday season with all its parties?

Last edited by Scenestealer; 12-05-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I really want to maintain during the holidays this year. Every year I work my butt off and get pretty lean and then I eat, eat, eat like a starved maniac once Christmas rolls around. How can I get it through my head that I need to eat sensibly and not blow it at every meal "just because it's christmas!" I defintely need tips from all of you to keep it off this season. It is just too painful to start all over every new year! To me it's more of a mental thing because 99% of the time I am very disciplined!

Help!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #18  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

For the most part, I plan on just relaxing and enjoying the holiday season. If I gain weight, well...I lost it once, I can lose it again. I do plan to keep up with my exercise, but that's just a given for me. The only time I don't exercise is if I'm sick or injured.

But if I am trying to stay on track at parties, here are my strategies:

1. Grab a non-alcoholic beverage as soon as I arrive and hang onto it the entire time. It's hard to eat and hold a beverage at the same time. Also, if I have a beverage, people are less likely to wonder why I'm not eating.

2. Don't stand by the buffet, food table, etc. Especially don't sit at a table that has a bunch of food on it.

3. Talk to people. It's also hard to eat and talk at the same time. I've been at parties where I've intended to eat more and didn't because I ended up in a long conversation with someone.

4. Load up on salad and crudites.

5. Don't arrive at the party hungry.

6. Remind myself that this party is not my only chance to eat decadent foods. Often when I see all the yummy looking foods at parties, my first thought is that I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO EAT IT. It's like I'm afraid I'll never get another chance to eat food like that. It really helps to just take a step back and remind myself that the food that I eat is completely my choice. I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I can stop at the store on the way home, buy a giant chocolate cake, and eat the whole thing if I want. Although I would never do that, just reminding myself that I can really helps take the pressure off.

7. Don't drink. Not even one glass of wine. Because once I have even one drink, 1-6 above all go to .

I cannot imagine bringing my own salad to a party. But if the party isn't a catered affair, I'll often offer to bring something and I usually find that these offers are accepted if I suggest actual items I might bring. And I just happen to suggest things that are less caloric. But that won't work for a catered event, like your work party.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Such good advice Barbara

I think it applies to both work and family events.

I found just not having an alcoholic drink first made a big difference. And I drink diet Pepsi so no one knows it's just a soft drink. Juice can work too although I find the juices at events are usually pretty low quality and not at all fresh.

There's just one point I differ with you on. Reminding myself that I can have the goodies anytime doesn't work for me at Christmas. I really like fruitcake (yes I really am a space alien as my DH says) and mince pie and ham and gingerbread and etc. etc. I never even SEE these foods any other time of the year.

This year I'm going for portion control and conversation. I'm lucky in that I hardly ever talk to my own family members (long story) so I catch up at Christmas. And my DH's family eats everything at the dining table and puts it away right after they're done.

I'm going to make sure I have some "blank space" on my dinner and dessert plates and no seconds. I will really think carefully about what I'm going to eat since I only have "one go" at the food. I will limit myself to two items for dessert.

Think I'll be hiding in the bathroom a lot, looking at my stomach in the mirror

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:30 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default My first Christmas event

So I'm going to an "all you can eat" Chinese place today with a bunch of the dogwalkers.

Will try to limit myself to one plate of vegetables/steamed rice/ etc. It seems kind of pointless though as I ate an entire fruitcake last night and DH and I polished off a box of Belgian chocolate cookies the night before that .

I have to get all of my Christmas shopping done before Dec. 19th as I start my annual Christmas sleep-over that night. This year I'm in charge of desserts at one gathering and appetizers at another. I'm trying to buy the stuff before and just put it out of sight but it's not working.

Just had an idea as I look at this post! I will take all of the dessert stuff over to my dad's ! He has no interest in it and I never go there so that should work!

Sometimes just posting here helps so much. Now to lose the 5 lbs I'm sure I've just put on in the last two nights.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote