Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

Default What do you say?

I'm just wondering what everyone responds with when someone does comment on your weight loss? I'm starting to get "omg you're wasting away!", "omg you've gotten so tiny!" and similar comments from people I haven't seen a awhile and from people I know who do see me I'm getting "don't lose anymore or you'll blow away".

I just don't know how to respond, especially to the "you've gotten so tiny" ones. Do I say thank you and leave it at that? Do I go into more detail by telling them I'm down 40lbs (I have to update my avatar)? Do I smile and nod? Just wondering how others handle this, I've looked forward to these comments for so long but now I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable with them.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #2  
Doing this for me!

S/C/G: 147/139.0/130

Height: 5'4"

I think I would just smile, giggle and change the subject I have one friend in particular who's always saying "oh, don't lose anymore weight, you'll be too skinny!" (even though I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination lol)...sometimes I think its because she doesn't want me to be thinner than her. But that could just be in my head. So I just say "well, I have a little ways to go until my goal still, but I'm not trying to lose an unreasonable amount of weight", and then try to change the subject
stiebena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

When someone says something complimentary (like "you're so tiny!") I say something like "Thanks! I've been working hard at it!"

If someone says something slightly negative (like "don't lose any more weight - you'll be too skinny!") I say something like "Thanks - I disagree. Given my build, I'm trying to lose about 10 more pounds. I figure if I really am too skinny then, gaining weight again is the easy part."
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I say ... Thanks, I feel good ... Don't worry, honey there's still some fat here ... I like to eat too much to get into that kinda trouble -or- if they're really annoying, I launch into the difference between just losing weight and working toward an optimal balance of body composition, increasing lean mass ... they glaze over and go away.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

To comments like "you're so tiny" I just say "thanks!" Depending on who it is, I might add an enthusiastic "I am tiny, aren't I" or, like Kilketay, "I work pretty hard at it."

To people who express concern about me losing more weight, I just lie and assure them that I'm maintaining now. There's absolutely no reason that they need to know what my goal is or that I am still trying to lose weight. And, it's really only half a lie anyway; at this point, I'm losing so slowly, you could call it maintenance.

I recently confided to a couple of close friends that I was trying to lose a little more weight, to which they went into fits that I was going to get too thin. I firmly pointed out that my goal is within a healthy BMI, that I carefully monitor what I eat every day and am within appropriate ranges for fat, carb, and protein, that my doctor is aware of how many calories I eat and approves, and that my exercise is supervised by a professional trainer. There is absolutely no reason to worry about my eating or exercise habits. That calmed them down.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #6  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

Smile very big and say " thank you "!!!
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #7  

Great tips ladies, thanks!
Old 08-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #8  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

I lie and say that I'm maintaining. When someone says "You're not trying to lose weight, are you?" I say no, I'm just trying to keep off what I've lost. I learned that I can't talk to most people I know about this.

When I first starting losing weight, I realized that people don't understand that I used to be smaller and I'm just trying to get back to where I was before. Some people don't seem to realize that I have enough sense to know when to stop losing weight.

Stibena, I have a few friends like your friend who told you not to lose any more weight. One of my friends told me that if I lose more weight I won't look right. She knew me before I gained any weight, though. She wants to lose weight and I think she's frustrated that I'm actually doing something about it instead of just talking about it.
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #9  

All of my friends are telling not to lose anymore. I think my fat friends are jealous and my thin friends don't want another hot skinny chick around.

I like the idea of lying...think I'll start doing that. My DH is very concerned that I not lose anymore weight. I keep trying to explain to everyone that I'm 5 stinking feet tall...I could down to around 95 I think if I wanted to (not that I'd want to) before I was actually underweight for my height.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #10  
focus creates results

S/C/G: 167/125/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinforthegold View Post
I like the idea of lying...think I'll start doing that. My DH is very concerned that I not lose anymore weight. I keep trying to explain to everyone that I'm 5 stinking feet tall...I could down to around 95 I think if I wanted to (not that I'd want to) before I was actually underweight for my height.
Even though I'm not at the weight you are now....my husband too has already stressed that I look too skinny now (I know I don't) and that losing more than 10 more pounds will make me look sickly. I too have been trying to stress that I am 5 frickin' feet tall and even being 100 pounds won't look awful on me....but...yeah...I do like the idea of lying too...
Lekhika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:17 AM   #11  

Yep, agreed. And it's funny b/c I reminded DH when he commented this time that I don't need to lose anymore that he told me that 25 lbs, 15 lbs, ago, etc, etc. At 25 and 15 I definitely did so I don't really think he's a good one to be listening to. The problem is I get excited and want to share with him everytime the scale goes down, that's when I get the lecture about not losing more. It's the "well, holy $&$^ what are you trying to get down to?" comments everytime.

Just curious how'd you pick 108 as your goal weight? Mine started at 115 but the closer I got to 115 the more I started realizing that just wasn't enough so I moved it down to 110...now I'm going for under 110. I figure if I get closer to 105, I can have a little wiggle room while maintaining, kwim.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #12  
focus creates results

S/C/G: 167/125/110

You asked!

*deep breath*

When I started out, I too thought 115 sounded like a good goal weight. It was how much I weighed in high school and I remember being fairly happy with my body then...but the closer I got to that weight (like you) the more I realized that I needed to weigh less.

And that's really not because of the number on the scale. I just want this fatty lump above my butt gone. It's a stubborn sob and likely will go last. So I'm working in 5 pound increments really. Since I'm so close to 115, I know that stupid fatty bump won't go with 2 measley pounds...so I figured yeah 110 ane then I was all..."hey!! I weighed 108 when I met my husband"

And so there you are...goal weight! It's likely in 5-6 more pounds I will revise that but for now....here we are!

How do you feel now that you're so close. What I fear is the addiction to the loss....that even at 108 I'll be dissatisfied.
Lekhika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

When people ask me what I do to stay in shape, I answer : I do my best, and laugh it off...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #14  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I can only dream of such comments The only ones I ever get are from friends of the same ilk as Stiebena mentioned and I'm highly suspicious of their motives.
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #15  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Lately, I've been getting a lot of: "Wow! You look great!" and I usually reply by saying: "Thanks, I feel great!". Because, hey, I do feel pretty great about 30 pounds lost.

If I get the ones who tell me I shouldn't lose more or "where are 20 more pounds going to come from?" I'm pretty blunt and usually say: "I see myself naked in the mirror on a daily basis...believe me--I've got some fat left to lose."

I'm also ready to say that my goal weight is within my healthy height/weight range, and that if I feel I'm getting too bony, I'll stop losing. I'm not being unhealthy about it. I find that the more up-front I am about direct questions, the more willing the questioner is to step back and accept it.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote